Blue Pied just landed - Wet Green smelly dropping

Guest joshdonlan

had 3 strays in this week 1 is off home  1 going home tomorrow and the 3rd going later in the week

all 3 fanciers were glad i phoned them

I've found most want their birds back and very few don't

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest joshdonlan

bird is now in an isolation cage away from my loft, will get onto the owner tomorrow as im happily suprised he has a telephone ring on  :)

i had a few stray,s in and fed and watered them all then got i touch with the owners .all off them where happy to get their birds back.one in particular was a bird that came in to me from the ncc lerwick race covered in oil.got him cleaned up fed and watered for about a week.bird belonged to a mr and mrs Johnston and it was hard for them to get bird right away could not get courier . so for my wee bit time and kindness.i am now looking forward to my 2 jan aardens from mr and mrs Johnston next year.

Guest Freebird
i had a few stray,s in and fed and watered them all then got i touch with the owners .all off them where happy to get their birds back.one in particular was a bird that came in to me from the ncc lerwick race covered in oil.got him cleaned up fed and watered for about a week.bird belonged to a mr and mrs Johnston and it was hard for them to get bird right away could not get courier . so for my wee bit time and kindness.i am now looking forward to my 2 jan aardens from mr and mrs Johnston next year.

SEE it pay's to look after the weak and weary. After all would we not accept sustenance if we were in the same boat? Well done blaz a credit to mankind, never mind the sport!

Too many people are too quick to condemn. Those that don't give a jot about the welfare of a stray that has entered a loft seeking a bit of food, water and time to rest, are probably the same so called "fanciers" that render their own birds 'useless' and refuse to have them back, when they make a mistake. Too many are too keen to jump on the 'bandwagon' of the NEKUM BRIGADE.

There is more to keeping pigeons than just racing for Glory and financial gain. JMHO

had a flown out yb in last week josh and i noticed runny droppings after i had put it in a basket but by the next day its droppings had firmed up,all it needed was a feed/drink and some rest  dont forget that the stress of getting lost doesnt help but to be on the safe side i would still separate it i like to think that my birds will get help if they enter another loft  all the best  kev

the guy asked a question and got some very good options at no point did anyone say bin it all that i said was dont let it in with your birds as 3 weeks down the the road you could have a problem so he should be careful PJC you are the only one who has mentioned binning it so lets not make a drama out of this

oh happy days

Guest chrisss
the guy asked a question and got some very good options at no point did anyone say bin it all that i said was dont let it in with your birds as 3 weeks down the the road you could have a problem so he should be careful PJC you are the only one who has mentioned binning it so lets not make a drama out of this

oh happy days

nor a row [again?]

Guest joshdonlan

Bird is a Huddersfield bird. Anyone any idea where they were racing from as hes a fair way off track? Ive tried phonong earlier, but no answer, probably at work. Will call again later.  :)

Guest joshdonlan

Bird has now been sorted and hopefully now back with the owner. The birds droppings had firmend up this morning. The guys was 9 down from 17, sounds a real bad lib. Any thoughts on why? This pigeon had probably only made 20 miles???

I think most here have failed to grasp that the principle of helping a pigeon to get home means under its own power - whenever that is possible. Any bird that's made an effort to get home is usually quite highly regarded by those fanciers that got them home that way. In my opinion it's a nonsense to suggest that every bird be brought in & reported straight away. Even our Union (SHU) stray procedure states the bird should be given a chance to clear first, and if it doesn't ... then go through the stray procedure.

So for me the first option must always be to give the bird a chance to clear for home. Food & water, and a rest will help it get on its way again.  

Think it was last year that I was left with 3 strays after the season ended, I spent 4 hours one Saturday travelling on trains to 3 Federation areas across Central Scotland, liberating a bird in Edinburgh, Motherwell and Clydebank, to help it get home.