Where do they go?

NeilT

Well after Alabama Bob I now have one reported-missing from a liberation in Perth, supposedly racing to Hampshire.......reported in Northern Norway. They said the wind at liberation was "light westerly"....clearly got the direction spot on!! Have heard of 3 others from the fed reported in Denmark....what makes them strike out across 600 miles of sea?

Any ideas how to get him home? 🙂

It's a long way, whereas Alabama Bob was thought to have hitched a lift on a ship, I daresay there would be more ships heading for America than Norway. Are any birds with fanciers? With the way things are heading with the import requirements of racing pigeons (affecting all countries not just the UK) I wouldn't imagine it would be that easy to get birds home. I do know a few years ago that a fancier in Denmark or Norway who got a British bird in, met up with a UK fancier at one of the German pigeon shows - other than that - I don't know

Update!

I trawled the internet on Tuesday night and found an email address of a Norwegian fancier-sent him a message asking if he could help recover the bird from the non fancier. I got a reply Wed morning saying he knew of the nearest fancier to the bird (2 hours!) and would ask if he would help.

Wednesday afternoon that fancier emailed to say he had collected him already and would like to keep him-all sorted in under 24 hours!

The power of the internet and the goodwill of some fellow fanciers!

Neil

A happy ending for the bird. I'd say if one made it . Others could easily  have made landfall . And be living their lives with wild pigeons . I mind a few years ago someone in peterhead got a Norwegian bird in . 

Just now, blue lad said:

A happy ending for the bird. I'd say if one made it . Others could easily  have made landfall . And be living their lives with wild pigeons . I mind a few years ago someone in peterhead got a Norwegian bird in . 

i caught a German pigeon in Tesco,s around 4 weeks ago a 6 year old cock.