Feeding

neila

What’s member plans for feeding during the old bird season 

I use gerry plus normally but add some barley or yb mix to it sunday  and Monday depending on the race race they have had and  then just gerry and some fat seeds from Wednesday night with a increase in amounts fed Wednesday and Thursday 

pretty basic for me 

Are you on a sepertate sex system Neil?? Mines are naturals both old and young and I tried to be to clever with mixtures last year after some thought I made some tweaks for the youngbirds and performance definitely improved.

Will find out more this year if same improvement from oldbirds.

Being natural I think a very basic approach is better too many changes upsets the birds and throws them off definitely with natural pigeons. 

Mines will be on my own mix consists of vanrobeys best all round v. Laga superstar and depurative

14 hours ago, JCN said:

Are you on a sepertate sex system Neil?? Mines are naturals both old and young and I tried to be to clever with mixtures last year after some thought I made some tweaks for the youngbirds and performance definitely improved.

Will find out more this year if same improvement from oldbirds.

Being natural I think a very basic approach is better too many changes upsets the birds and throws them off definitely with natural pigeons. 

Mines will be on my own mix consists of vanrobeys best all round v. Laga superstar and depurative

Yes mine are separated they have eggs I take them hen away cocks with the box hen on a v fly them like that all week saturday both traps are open . Then I spilt them Saturday night or Sunday morning . They always have a fair time together 

I tend to put protein in the diet sunday Monday I may put 25per cent breeding corn into the gerry , if it’s a blow home I put 25 per cent barley go the gerry instead then depending on the race some hemp sunflower etc wendnesday night or if a east one Thursday night 

although I do wonder if it makes a great deal of difference 

2 hours ago, alex young said:

Mine will be much the same as yours Neil, V/L Start plus(breeding) on return then a lighter mix early in the week changing over to Star plus towards the end of the week and maybe some energy mix added.

Makes sense Alex protein to carbs to carbs/fats slough getting the percentage right is the tricky bit 

There are lots of feeding systems, previous posts show this, Braspenning fed Variamax all year round.

I think that as long as your birds have experienced all the grains you feed any changes or tweaks will be taken in their stride.

Remember that birds have favourite grains, when I look at their droppings I see multiple colours which indicates they do not all eat the food in proportion to the mixture. I guess the droppings would all be the same colour if only fed a single grain.

I think your right Bluey as some do feed the same mix each week 

I just think proteins early in the week are better as it’s high carbs you need for the race  . I haven’t fed a pea or bean after Monday for a good few years now I fact I normally only feed them Sunday if at all , it had to have been a tough race for me to do so . 
in the past when I flew  south from 300-500 I fed more beans and peas and the birds came well but  were found wanting on the sprint races. Now I only  fly to 360miles I find can get good results from carbs and increased fats  

Over the years I've fed all kinds of feeds and the birds have flown well but I'm always looking to try something better.Going way back to 1983 I fed depurative until tuesday evening then widowhood mix and seeds the rest of the week. I dusted the depurative with brewers yeast on sat/sun for the protein and the birds did well. The big draw back for me was the birds didn't exercise early part of the week.

7 hours ago, alex young said:

Over the years I've fed all kinds of feeds and the birds have flown well but I'm always looking to try something better.Going way back to 1983 I fed depurative until tuesday evening then widowhood mix and seeds the rest of the week. I dusted the depurative with brewers yeast on sat/sun for the protein and the birds did well. The big draw back for me was the birds didn't exercise early part of the week.

I feed similar Alex any protein done by Monday morning if not Sunday . Instead of dupurative I just put half gerry half barley . I don’t let the birds out to Tuesday evening anyway as I know they wouldn’t want to do to much ,it’s Tuesday when I swop to full gerry they may fly 30 mins at times on a Tuesday night other times close to a hour ( first loft fly of the week) but I don’t worry either way as by Thursday night they are doing a shift . My old birds only go out of the loft for 75 mins 3 days a week . I started the system to fit in with my work but I wouldn’t change it now 

like you if I had them out Sunday Monday on this diet I doubt they would do 20 mins