Nest Box Questions Looking for some advice on nestboxes... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   FlyAwayHome 

• In Egg! (Newbie)
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 March 2018 - 22:03 PM

Hey.

I have a question: what are some important points/things a nestbox must possess? I know ventilation is one, but I want to make sure that the box I'm making right now has everything my pigeon needs.

And also - relatively stupid question - should a nest box be used only for nesting?

Cheers,
Sarah

Healing doesn't mean the damage never existed. It means the damage no longer controls our life.

#2 User is offline   Dooheed 5 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationPeterhead
  • Club:Peterhead & District RPC & SNFC

Posted 11 March 2018 - 22:17 PM

View PostFlyAwayHome, on 11 March 2018 - 22:03 PM, said:

Hey.

I have a question: what are some important points/things a nestbox must possess? I know ventilation is one, but I want to make sure that the box I'm making right now has everything my pigeon needs.

And also - relatively stupid question - should a nest box be used only for nesting?

Cheers,
Sarah

One very important point is Make sure they are made of the right type of material !! Not for example Chip board as this has certain bonding adhesives that reacts with birds droppings giving off a harmful vapour that is very dangerous for your birds
"Pain is temporary but GLORY IS FOREVER"

#3 User is offline   FlyAwayHome 

• In Egg! (Newbie)
  • Pip
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 March 2018 - 22:34 PM

View PostDooheed 5, on 11 March 2018 - 15:17 PM, said:

One very important point is Make sure they are made of the right type of material !! Not for example Chip board as this has certain bonding adhesives that reacts with birds droppings giving off a harmful vapour that is very dangerous for your birds

OK, thanks!
Healing doesn't mean the damage never existed. It means the damage no longer controls our life.

#4 User is offline   King billy 2 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Club:Newmains

Posted 12 March 2018 - 01:33 AM

View PostFlyAwayHome, on 11 March 2018 - 22:03 PM, said:

Hey.

Cheers,
Sarah

Aslong as a nest bowl can fit in they will be happy

#5 User is offline   ovy1255 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationSTANLEY Co DURHAM
  • Club:burnopfield hs

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:44 AM

If you make your loft to clinical -- wipe clean surfaces like melomine and tile floor or lino floor and use gloss paint inside loft you will find on damp days that moisture doesnt soke into wood then dry out on good days,surpriseing how much birds sweat especially when on young.
Nest boxes can vary but keep it simple ---if you only want a few google kit boxes that are used for rollers.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Advert: Crafty Fifer: bespoke loft equipment
  • Advert: B.Leefe & Sons
  • Advert: Apex Garden Buildings
  • Advert: Racing Pigeon Supplies
  • Advert: Solway Feeders