Racing Or Homing?

jasper24

Dependent on weather conditions you should get a race up to 700 miles or so, but after that it becomes more of a marathon. It depends on what you consider to be a race. Sprinting where the start and finish are essential, mid distance where you are still able to have batches arrive, distance where they are strung out a bit more, but still arriving regularly or marathon where they are extremely strung out. All are still races, but it depends on just what you are looking for in a pigeon. :)

I race from there down and across country to Ayrshire so I know exactly what you are talking about. Quite apart from our feathered terrors in the sky, the weather make a massive difference to pigeon racing. When you have mountains and high hills like we have in Scotland, some areas develop their own climate, sea haar and mountain mist, etc. :)

Come and race up North of Scotland there nae such a thing as sprint a 60 mile or a 100 mile can turn out to be endurance race ,nae joking .

Try racing into the N/west of Ireland, especially from the channel race points. Not for the faint hearted.

in my opinion we all have more homing pigeons than racing pigeons. their is only a select few each week that race home the others home. the trick is to motivate homing birds to put in that bit extra and race . that's for all distances. omo