Jason's Young Bird Training

Guest jason

Guest jason

Started the youngsters this morning...I've started training early as I'm not rushing them down the road....just nice and steady.

40 birds basketed, 10 to a basket and taken a mile.....all home but not trapping very well

I must remember to cut the food back a bit

Guest jason

Do you loft fly first? They always seem keener to trap when they've had 40 minutes or so round the loft. Trap to a bit of seed then into basket for training

No I don't loft fly them first.

well I was up at 7am, hoping to take them again....only to be greeted with heavy rain, so birds let out and they did 50 minutes around the loft.

Guest jason

took the youngsters a mile again this morning.....all doing well, so a couple more from there and then onto 3 mile

I'm taking things nice and steady and giving them a good education in theory.

In my experience when I have started training with the basket it stopped them from running and they will get more experience from running than you can ever get from the basket. But they are your birds and you do what you are comfortable with. All the best..

Pete why do u reckon that is? Imo u get more exerience with birds in the basket as the name of the game is basket straight home and clocked....hence why when i do train ybs they never loft fly again, basket, home, fed, its brainwashed..... Quick orientation is what the aim is to achieve, and it works!!

Keep doing what ur doing jason, and best of luck

Guest jason

In my experience when I have started training with the basket it stopped them from running and they will get more experience from running than you can ever get from the basket. But they are your birds and you do what you are comfortable with. All the best..

Hi Peter

When I raced pigeons before...(8 years ago I packed in)...I would have agreed with you and I wouldn't have started training till the youngsters were 6 months old.

But I got friendly with a Belgian pigeon 'expert' and he says that the youngsters are too old to train at 6 months and in Belgium, they start training theirs at 4 months old....which mine are.

and so far, so good.....but at 4 months old....you have to go steady and only when the weather allows.

It feels too early in the year to be training youngsters, but another 11 weeks and they will be racing, which isn't a long time when your not 'rushing' your birds down the road.

hope this makes sense

Jason

Guest jason

due to heavy snow here this morning the birds were let out and flew for 45 minutes which I was surprised at....but they seemed to be enjoying having a fly in the snow.

Guest jason

they had another from 1 mile yesterday and took some younger ones with them....5 minutes later they were all home and in

so now the weather has improved, they'll get another 2 or 3 chucks from a mile (1 this morning) then move them on to 3 miles.

my first race (our clubs first young bird race) is 10 weeks this Saturday....so plenty of time.

Guest jason

well a disaster this morning.....I liberated my 40 young birds at 08.15, 3 miles from home.......and......15 back up to now

:emoticon-0179-headbang: :emoticon-0179-headbang: :emoticon-0179-headbang:

Guest jason

28 back by nightfall last night....the last 3 home looked as if they'd flown 500 mile

so the plan is to give them all a few days rest, then get them back to 3 mile chucks for now.

Guest jason

12 still missing, but the weather is very good this morning, so I'm hoping a few more will turn up.....nothing as yet though

well a disaster this morning.....I liberated my 40 young birds at 08.15, 3 miles from home.......and......15 back up to now

:emoticon-0179-headbang: :emoticon-0179-headbang: :emoticon-0179-headbang:

I would not train inexperienced young birds on a Saturday or a Sunday when there is federations racing on that day as there was today (8th)