Canker

TheHigg

how often during the racing season do you treat also as it can be stress related do you treat the young upon weaning [i do] the reason for asking is i have a sht load of flagyl and with the holiday season nearly upon us i am looking to use it before i stock up again :animatedpigeons:

i give them half a tab to old birds two weeks before racing starts joe and quarter of a tab to youngsters as i put them in there own section during racing ill disolve 4 tablets in warm water and add to the drinker every 3rd or 4th sunday to keep on top of it means your treating them about three times during racing season then no treatment untill the following year this works for me others may do it different ive not had a bird with canker for five years since doing it this way

Edited by walterboswell59

I've gone down the road of not treating for canker, has been a good few years since I did. An Iodine solution is put in the drinker a couple of times a week which I believe helps keep it at bay. Those that cant hack this regime either are lost or perform poorly and for me it acts as part of my selection policy.