Who Needs Bop's When You've A Malamute

bluecock

I have an 11 year old Mal. At my last house, went out and fed the birds, forgot to bolt the door, wind blew it open during the day while I was at work, came back to absolute carnage. He even greeted me at the back door with a dead bird in his mouth, wagging his tail. He was left in no doubt that the birds are off limits. But here's the thing, Malamutes are such a natural and dominant breed that the instinct to kill will ALWAYS be there, it can't be bred out or knocked out of them. Mine knows when I'm there not to even acknowledge the birds, but I've watched him through the window when the birds are out, and he very slyly and subtly gets himself closer and closer to them, and I have no doubt he would kill what he could catch in a heartbeat if I didn't let him know I'd seen him!

They are the best breed of dog I know, and I've been involved with the breed for almost 20 years, but they won't be treated like a Labrador or spaniel. You must always be one step ahead, and predict what they are going to do.

Lee