Rollers And Tumblers

billy whizz

Hi there is there anyone on here that keeps rollers/tumblers

I was given a lot of tumblers told they were the real mcoy but they do not tumble they are very big birds just wondering what you fellas feed ect i have around 8 rollers 4 do roll the rest dont

Ive had some issues with them just sat on the roof tried allsorts had them flying then i added tic beans to the diet and it seems to have made them heavy and lazy they dont want to know this is a full loft of over 20 birds here.

I can control them no problems but getting them to fly is another task i have them back on wheat only at the min.

Cheers

Orite lads thanks for the advice yeah there is deffo a few over weight then i got them from a guy who wanted rid they dwarfed my rollers... i had 25 2 weeks ago ive lost some im down to 15 had one hit the roof other night and died and 8 have flown away got a call yesterday that 2 had gone back to the lad i got them from i homed them in and they were flying and coming back in for over a month!!lol they have flown 15 miles away i didnt think they could home like that.

I dont get it they were all trap trained and homed well they wouldnt fly for ages though so i changed the food back to wheat had 2 good days of flying all them then yesterday i let them out id never seen them go so high and like a say loads of them went missing

today let them out got 7 in sky 8 on the roof not happy with them waste of time at min.

im going into racing next year for the amount of effort i put into these i might as well have a bash at racing.

If their in moult and dropping to bits they wont want to fly when they get near to end of wing theyre sore but if they sit on roof thats bad training mine go out and up only fly when hungry but not starving and keep control if they sit on roof and wont come in their overfed mine dont go on roof at all appart from an odd young one just starting if you fly them too fat they fly too low and a 20 foot roller flying at 15ft isnt going to live very long if you overfeed when fit they go too high and then you loose them

If their in moult and dropping to bits they wont want to fly when they get near to end of wing theyre sore but if they sit on roof thats bad training mine go out and up only fly when hungry but not starving and keep control if they sit on roof and wont come in their overfed mine dont go on roof at all appart from an odd young one just starting if you fly them too fat they fly too low and a 20 foot roller flying at 15ft isnt going to live very long if you overfeed when fit they go too high and then you loose them

Thanks for the reply its a tricky one with the feed thats all it seems down to ive had them out this morning but all they flew for is 4-5 mins they came back down on the roof so i called them in and gave then a quater of a baked bean tin of wheat i will let them back out again this afternoon see if they improve with a tad bit of feed.i fed them last night just under a tin full i have 15 birds in loft as we speak.

Thing is the roller that died wasnt over weight it was small put a roll in last min before landing on the house.

i havent got any roller doing 20ft rolls only 1-2 are rolling but 2-3 ft max.

They finished moult now around a week ago

Another issue is when you fly them you should never feed straight away as this encourages them to fly shorter and sorter times as they know as soon as they trap they get fed when they trap just give enough food to get them in then shut them up and walk away go back say an hour later and feed them young birds in particular will soon get to know the drill once there trained you can get away with feeding early if your in a rush any birds consistantly going on roof will soon pull the rest down and spoil them try flying the best behaved ones with just one of these roofers at a time and with luck the team should pull them up persistant offenders need removing eventually maybe you can use them as feeders to foster eggs off the best ones

Depending on their age some more should roll yet if their only young theres time for them to develop as time goes on the shorter rollers quite often roll deeper until they reach their full potential if they roll just before or as they come in to land then those birds are classed as unstable and best not bred off as sooner or later they will kill themselves

had them out this morning they wasnt interested again brought them back in tried again at 5 tonight same again feel like pulling all there heads off!!!

these birds are taking the p*ss no matter what i try they dont want to do anything load of crap.

they wont even budge when you throw balls or stones up to the roof tried all different feed amounts still same.

~Im getting nothing out them but stress.

they should have settled in fine be now ive had them months lol....no there is plenty of racing fanciers about near me but there not into rollers etc ive done everything people tell me to do and other stuff im just not sure if there from crap lines or what.

i need to calm down like yer say i could put me foot threw the loft door :emoticon-0136-giggle:

If they keep sitting on roof then their what I would call spoiled birds mine dont go on the roof but each to their own why dont you contact donna and paul chantry donna is sec of all england roller club shes at bradford you should get some good advice off her maybe the person that had the birds before you allowed them to sit on roof and laze about if so your going to struggle to break the bad habits maybe they didnt and theres another problem its all about controlled exercise and control with the right amount of food its a bit like a juggling act but if you keep at it you will get there you cant start racing and win every race straight away can you? Aerc motto is patience perseverance perfection keep at it everthings new at the moment contact donna and ask for advice

At the moment mine are locked up on full crops of good stuff till they get through the moult and we get a bit better weather after christmas while their locked up I go through them health wise worm ect when I start letting them out again them out again they will be on barley for about a week to take the fat off them when first let out again they need to get fit and they will try and land all over and wont kit either it usually takes about 2 weeks to get them something like again a general guide is a heaped tablespoon per bird if they go too high take a bit out too low put a bit in barley makes them rake more and roll more but fly less time and not as high but as I said its a balancing act any bird not trapping on command in say 2 minutes gets no food at all until the penny drops if they keep roofing I would say theyve been spoilt but you might get them right if you persevere good luck dont give up if you get them right you will reap the benefits of your hard work

So you dont let them out now till after xmas?yeah ive been giving them that amount of food but they always seem starving its like all they want to do is eat no interest in anything else?i can get them to trap instantly no problems there.

Im so angry at them min i had them flying well before,i added some tic beans into the food and it went down hill and hasnt come back.but i had this problem since the day i had them i ended up having to take them to the field every night in a box and so they had no choice but to fly.

What are the best times to feed?

Thanks for the advice;)

I dont fly off tic beans these are heavy feed and some say they keep them low I fly off mainly wheat but if they go too high or fly too long I tafe some wheat out and put some barley in or just cut the wheat down theres a new school of thought that you shoild give them protein as well as the carbs but I stick to wheat mainly as it works for me have you tried worming them ? Some people I know never do but I worm regulary yes the birds should be hungry but not starving theres a fine line as for flying out now there loads of bops near me and believe it or not sparrowhawks take them in the air in winter they hit them whilst flying and glide down with them by the time you get to them their dead so I dont fly in winter now come spring they arent as bad so I try not to feed them