Beginner Help

Hi all,

New the forum and also to pigeons.

I’m a Yorkshire lad in the UK and have decided it’s about time I got myself a couple of pigeons to start out with.

I’ve got a few questions so thought it would be better to ask them all in one post to the experts out there and hopefully be educated in no time.

I’m after some sort of homing pigeons that I can train and obviously after training mile by mile eventually let go miles away and see them return home. Not necessarily for racing, just to enjoy the fun. Can anyone let me know what the breed I should be going for etc?

Also am I right in saying that pigeons lay all through the year or is it just spring time? I believe I’m correct in saying that I shouldn’t be buying anything older than 1-2 months?

I’m assuming that for 2 pigeons I wouldn’t need anything too big as long as it’s got an inside to shield against wind, somewhere wired for them to get some sun and fresh air? Would I just feed them by putting food on the floor of the loft or on a shelf as their droppings would be on the floor?

Thank you all in advance and I look forward to hearing from you.

Ok im in hemsworth if you want a pair off younguns let me know , your best keeping at six so you can watch them pack up and the will fly better.properbly better getting a shed to start with .put a smooth surface on the bottom plyboard , feed at regular times and when you let the birds òutvthey should always wanna just have abit of something to eat this may take abit of practise.the shed should be dry at all times .all ways call you birds in to the shed with the a familiar sound some shout some rattle a tin some use a whistle the choice is yours, birds that dont go in and stay out dont get feed tillvthe next time out.your birds will nead pigeon grit and fresh water often .

Ok im in hemsworth if you want a pair off younguns let me know , your best keeping at six so you can watch them pack up and the will fly better.properbly better getting a shed to start with .put a smooth surface on the bottom plyboard , feed at regular times and when you let the birds òutvthey should always wanna just have abit of something to eat this may take abit of practise.the shed should be dry at all times .all ways call you birds in to the shed with the a familiar sound some shout some rattle a tin some use a whistle the choice is yours, birds that dont go in and stay out dont get feed tillvthe next time out.your birds will nead pigeon grit and fresh water often .

Thanks for getting back to me, can you explain what you mean by keeping at six? Also what breed have you got and are they classed as homing pigeons? Are they pretty young?

How much would 2 be?

Thanks again

They are homing pigeons , havent bread them yet was gonna stop breeding this year .a kit will fly as a group in the sky go out of sitecfor a lenght of time and come back.lvthinkbyou might have trouble holding ontovtwo youngsters as hey will properbly take off with other peoples birds.

They are homing pigeons , havent bread them yet was gonna stop breeding this year .a kit will fly as a group in the sky go out of sitecfor a lenght of time and come back.lvthinkbyou might have trouble holding ontovtwo youngsters as hey will properbly take off with other peoples birds.

Forgot to say they will be free .

These are two young lvgot off the pair that are dues to go back down on eggs shortly.theyvhavent got breeding names.

post-29407-14007062540982_thumb.jpg

My apologise for my ignorance but can something be cleared up.

Im not 100% on the termanology in terms of Younguns and Kits etc.

Am i best getting some recently hatched birds (1-2 Months) or getting a breeding pair and then trainng their young?

Are you offering a bredding pair or some recently hatched birds?

Sorry again

Thank You

Guest paulrstokes

I would take pigeon pack mans offer, then when the young are ready, go and collect them, and spend a bit of time during your visit, and you will be much the wiser in the aspects of pigeon keeping

My apologise for my ignorance but can something be cleared up.

Im not 100% on the termanology in terms of Younguns and Kits etc.

Am i best getting some recently hatched birds (1-2 Months) or getting a breeding pair and then trainng their young?

Are you offering a bredding pair or some recently hatched birds?

Sorry again

Thank You

No need to apologise if you don't ask you won't learn try to get young birds from local pigeon men most will

Be happy to breed you a pair and give you some advice ,you want to get young birds about 24 to 30 days old

Put them in your loft ( pigeon coop ) and a cage that they can flutter up to so as to see their surounding area

Then after about 2 weeks lift the cage of and give them their freedom keep them on the hungry side when you

Let them out for the first time .good luck.

Hi What do you intend to keep the pigeons in ? have you got a shed ? you wouldnt need anything to big to start of with but imo thats the first thing you want to organise shed, few perches, drinkers, feeding tray ect, i would ask to see a set up by a nearby fancier before you get pigeons, atb

No need to apologise if you don't ask you won't learn try to get young birds from local pigeon men most will

Be happy to breed you a pair and give you some advice ,you want to get young birds about 24 to 30 days old

Put them in your loft ( pigeon coop ) and a cage that they can flutter up to so as to see their surounding area

Then after about 2 weeks lift the cage of and give them their freedom keep them on the hungry side when you

Let them out for the first time .good luck.

Thanks for that,

When people refer to Youguns and Kits, are they the same thing and Age?

Hi What do you intend to keep the pigeons in ? have you got a shed ? you wouldnt need anything to big to start of with but imo thats the first thing you want to organise shed, few perches, drinkers, feeding tray ect, i would ask to see a set up by a nearby fancier before you get pigeons, if you dont your welcome to come and see mine anytime just pm me atb

Hi,

I havent got anything yet but am trying to find an example of a smallish loft big enough for 2 birds as at this moment in time im not really looking for any more due to size restraints etc.

Once i know what kind of thing is perfect for 2 birds i will be knocking one up, if anyone can let me know where i can find an example of a 2 bird loft or some ideas it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

young ones there talking about, means young birds that have just been weaned away from there parents, and kits are just a statement, like you can buy a kit of birds that total 6, 10, whatever amount, try looking on you tube for examples of rabbit hutch sized pigeon lofts.

Hi,

If i can find time soon to get myself a loft put together i will happily take up your offer.

So are you saying you have 2 birds (M/F????)ready for collection or have you got some on the way?

Cheers

Hi,

If i can find time soon to get myself a loft put together i will happily take up your offer.

So are you saying you have 2 birds (M/F????)ready for collection or have you got some on the way?

Cheers

L have a pair that bread those two pigeons in the picture, l put the picture up to give gou an idea what they may look like .so any young would be at least 6 weaks before ready fo take away.if you want to çome look at mh small loft you can.

For 2 birds, I'd keep it simple and just get a rabbit hutch, and to learn about pigeons I'd start of with the fancier breeds, as IMO your wasting your time with two racing pigeons, as they will not exercise well enough to be trained.

For 2 birds, I'd keep it simple and just get a rabbit hutch, and to learn about pigeons I'd start of with the fancier breeds, as IMO your wasting your time with two racing pigeons, as they will not exercise well enough to be trained.

When you say fancier breeds?

Will they still fly, come back etc?

I'm not after racers exactly, just would like something to let go and let it fly home etc