Any Good Roller Breeders?

gurnster75

I'm leaving the Royal Navy later this year so I'll be in the position for the first time in over 20 years to get some birds. I've decided to go for Rollers and was wondering if anyone on here will have some YB's (Rollers) available or knows anyone who will later in the year? There's plenty for sale on gumtree and pigeonads etc but as a newby I'm not wanting to be ripped off with birds that don't roll or pay over the odds. I would like to start with proven Rollers so if anyone can help then that would be great. I'm based in the North East but travel regularly to Barrow and Scotland (Fife/Aberdeen areas. Thanks for looking.

Thanks for the offers guys, Kirky I see your from Scarborough, where you from racingsprint? Kevs speaking to his mate for me who's up in Aberdeen where I do travel to occationally. What time of year do you have your YB's, and whats the going rate for a YB from good rolling stock? To be honost I didn't think that many people on here kept rollers, so as well as a source of birds its good to know there are knowledgeable guys on here I can ask for advice. What set ups do you both use, are you using kit boxes?

Thanks for the offers guys, Kirky I see your from Scarborough, where you from racingsprint? Kevs speaking to his mate for me who's up in Aberdeen where I do travel to occationally. What time of year do you have your YB's, and whats the going rate for a YB from good rolling stock? To be honost I didn't think that many people on here kept rollers, so as well as a source of birds its good to know there are knowledgeable guys on here I can ask for advice. What set ups do you both use, are you using kit boxes?

this is my breeding loft all my stock came from Ireland, i fly a small kit of ybs from a section in one of my racing lofts, ybs will be free collect or courier i let them beerd all summer,

Thanks for the great offers lads, I will take one of you up if its an open offer, just need to sort out which place I'll be going closet to and when. And the first pic kirky is a deluxe version of what I had in mind, I have done the framework for a standard double kit box but I do like the aviary on the side. In your YB kits do you have mixed sexes or fly the cocks and hens seperately?

Thanks for the great offers lads, I will take one of you up if its an open offer, just need to sort out which place I'll be going closet to and when. And the first pic kirky is a deluxe version of what I had in mind, I have done the framework for a standard double kit box but I do like the aviary on the side. In your YB kits do you have mixed sexes or fly the cocks and hens seperately?

i fly my ybs mixed but would fly yearlings seperate, this is how i built the stock loft,

note the steel rods on each corner into the ground, i put tray under neath the mesh floor for easy cleaning out.

Thats what I've got in mind, I'll be using ply for the walls and was planning a dividing wire mesh partition. What do you use for your flying birds? I was thinking about starting with a small kit of 6 YB's (half and half sex wise), flying from 1 section. Then the following year splitting the birds up hens in 1 side etc, then pairing up at the end of the season to bring in some new YB's. What would you suggest/how does that sound, I'm wanting to keep it small and fun but hopefully supply my own YB's without it getting out of hand. What months do you fly your kits and when do you breed?

Thats what I've got in mind, I'll be using ply for the walls and was planning a dividing wire mesh partition. What do you use for your flying birds? I was thinking about starting with a small kit of 6 YB's (half and half sex wise), flying from 1 section. Then the following year splitting the birds up hens in 1 side etc, then pairing up at the end of the season to bring in some new YB's. What would you suggest/how does that sound, I'm wanting to keep it small and fun but hopefully supply my own YB's without it getting out of hand. What months do you fly your kits and when do you breed?

i think you would need at least 12 ybs to make a kit it will affect the way thay roll, normal flying kits are 16 and 20, as said i only fly my ybs to a spair section in my racing loft, its also common to loose one a month to hawks, my ybs out on racing loft,

Rollers are half the size of a racing bird, most of the kit boxes you see on u-tube are for 20 bird kits.

Which is the comp standard kit, it is a worldwide sport, give the All England Roller Club a look as it is about the best.

U-tube have some great kits in action so give them a look.

I have a few pairs of George Mason stock which are small tight spinners, lots of fresh stock about, money wise its like the racing game performance is a must have factor.

Best of luck. happy.gif