Pigeon Lofts

Probably the most expensive , requirement to start racing is a good loft . This provides firstly a home for the pigeons to shelter them from the elements and keep them safe from vermin and predators. Getting a ideal environment for your birds is essential to good racing . Sunlight and air two things that are free to use , heat brings on form in pigeons , I like a loft roof to be 1/6 open to sunlight and either be tiled or have a chimney in each section . Many loft makers use ship lap boards to make lofts , it looks good but in reality not as good as a full board such as marine ply the less joins the less likely to leak wood expands and shrinks . I like the idea of UPVC cladding as this weatherproofs a loft and also is easier to maintain just power wash down , also helps to keep the loft warmer . You need to think a loft out to suit yourself and your birds , probably a good idea to try and see as many racing lofts as possible to get ideas from . I like lofts to have one entrance and an internal corridor , then birds only ever have one entrance for life and only will ever need one ets pad , will certainly have a corridor on my next loft :)

Probably the most expensive , requirement to start racing is a good loft . This provides firstly a home for the pigeons to shelter them from the elements and keep them safe from vermin and predators. Getting a ideal environment for your birds is essential to good racing . Sunlight and air two things that are free to use , heat brings on form in pigeons , I like a loft roof to be 1/6 open to sunlight and either be tiled or have a chimney in each section . Many loft makers use ship lap boards to make lofts , it looks good but in reality not as good as a full board such as marine ply the less joins the less likely to leak wood expands and shrinks . I like the idea of UPVC cladding as this weatherproofs a loft and also is easier to maintain just power wash down , also helps to keep the loft warmer . You need to think a loft out to suit yourself and your birds , probably a good idea to try and see as many racing lofts as possible to get ideas from . I like lofts to have one entrance and an internal corridor , then birds only ever have one entrance for life and only will ever need one ets pad , will certainly have a corridor on my next loft :)

Mine is made from anything that could be whisked off the building site :emoticon-0127-lipssealed: :emoticon-0127-lipssealed: :emoticon-0127-lipssealed: :emoticon-0127-lipssealed:

Corrugated tin roof from old shed at Cochranes boiler works that was being demolishe!3x2 concrete flag landing board from a mate who is transport manager at the local concrete works! Lights removed from same shed as roof was!

Started as 8x6 and is now 24x8 with 2ft corridor! and has grown a 12x6 baby next door!!!!

Nae light gets in from roof apart frae the holes!!!! and ventilation is done by the 12mm holes that I drilled in the back of loft!!!

Magic!

Mine is made from anything that could be whisked off the building site :emoticon-0127-lipssealed: :emoticon-0127-lipssealed: :emoticon-0127-lipssealed: :emoticon-0127-lipssealed:

Corrugated tin roof from old shed at Cochranes boiler works that was being demolishe!3x2 concrete flag landing board from a mate who is transport manager at the local concrete works! Lights removed from same shed as roof was!

Started as 8x6 and is now 24x8 with 2ft corridor! and has grown a 12x6 baby next door!!!!

Nae light gets in from roof apart frae the holes!!!! and ventilation is done by the 12mm holes that I drilled in the back of loft!!!

Magic!

naw its just ur tight in solway :emoticon-0127-lipssealed:

First loft i had was constructed from the following when i was still a young teenager ,firstly needed railway sleepers that sat two high x four rows loft was 16 foot long ,got them lying at nearby wamphray station looked second hand i think ? ,next up 4x4 pitch pine unneeded by b,rail it was lying at the railway station which was 300 yds away but were to heavy for us lads to carry that distance so we just waited on the next train passing and when the signal dropped lifted them onto the railway line tied ropes on them and dragged them down the line to my parents house (would get jailed for that nowadays with all that health and safety crap people did have a sense of humour then :egyptian: ),next up which was a bit of a problem for a young lad to put his hands on timbers that could be cut into 2x2 and some old sarking for roof,problem nearly solved house being renovated 3 doors away from my mums the builder had just taken of the old roof as the building was being raised to a double story and had taken out all the nails from the timbers which he was going to use for scaffolding battons (or so he thought)me and my mates after school and before darkness fell helped ourselves to what would be required ,next problem but not for long needed them cut into 2x2 the lady next door her husband was the local joiner but had been dead twelve years but his workshop was still intact,we knocked on the door and asked if we could cut some timbers which we had been kindly given through the saw and we would give her something for helping out she kindly agreed and turned on the electricity ,we had a bit of a job keeping the old belt on but eventually got there,payed her back ten fold with lovely salmon which she was very keen on ,where we stayed they jumped out of the water at night :lol: Builder landed at my mums next day saying some wood had gone missing but after tea and scones seemed to forget what he had stopped for,next up good railway sleepers which cost £5 to be cut into planks at local sawmill ,next up lining boards for front from school which was being modernised plus old doors from same source ,think had to buy some doweling :emoticon-0179-headbang: Timed many winners into that £5 odd loft which stood the test of time and still brings back wonderful memories of a misspent but brilliant youth with mates that are still as helpfull to this day :emoticon-0157-sun:

First loft i had was constructed from the following when i was still a young teenager ,firstly needed railway sleepers that sat two high x four rows loft was 16 foot long ,got them lying at nearby wamphray station looked second hand i think ? ,next up 4x4 pitch pine unneeded by b,rail it was lying at the railway station which was 300 yds away but were to heavy for us lads to carry that distance so we just waited on the next train passing and when the signal dropped lifted them onto the railway line tied ropes on them and dragged them down the line to my parents house (would get jailed for that nowadays with all that health and safety crap people did have a sense of humour then :egyptian: ),next up which was a bit of a problem for a young lad to put his hands on timbers that could be cut into 2x2 and some old sarking for roof,problem nearly solved house being renovated 3 doors away from my mums the builder had just taken of the old roof as the building was being raised to a double story and had taken out all the nails from the timbers which he was going to use for scaffolding battons (or so he thought)me and my mates after school and before darkness fell helped ourselves to what would be required ,next problem but not for long needed them cut into 2x2 the lady next door her husband was the local joiner but had been dead twelve years but his workshop was still intact,we knocked on the door and asked if we could cut some timbers which we had been kindly given through the saw and we would give her something for helping out she kindly agreed and turned on the electricity ,we had a bit of a job keeping the old belt on but eventually got there,payed her back ten fold with lovely salmon which she was very keen on ,where we stayed they jumped out of the water at night :lol: Builder landed at my mums next day saying some wood had gone missing but after tea and scones seemed to forget what he had stopped for,next up good railway sleepers which cost £5 to be cut into planks at local sawmill ,next up lining boards for front from school which was being modernised plus old doors from same source ,think had to buy some doweling :emoticon-0179-headbang: Timed many winners into that £5 odd loft which stood the test of time and still brings back wonderful memories of a misspent but brilliant youth with mates that are still as helpfull to this day :emoticon-0157-sun:

o happy days ^_^ ^_^ ^_^