Wood Treatment

Guest peter4pm

Guest peter4pm

Ok guys , I've a new loft coming january/feb , im looking for ideas for the best thing to treat the wood with to keep it water tight.

Looking for somthing very tuff and durable and long lasting but also gives a nice finish (colour wise)

I heard creosote mixed with engine oil makes for a good treatement and nice dark colour ?

Any ideas appreciated

Ok guys , I've a new loft coming january/feb , im looking for ideas for the best thing to treat the wood with to keep it water tight.

Looking for somthing very tuff and durable and long lasting but also gives a nice finish (colour wise)

I heard creosote mixed with engine oil makes for a good treatement and nice dark colour ?

Any ideas appreciated

engine oil and creosote is about the best to protect your wood and water proof it too,,,,,mix creosote with new oil gives it a golden colour,,,mix with old oil gives it a blacker colour,,,,choice is yours !

regards

ted

First thing mate is get the loft as high of the ground as posible to let fresh air under.Mine's on paving slabs and railway sleepers.The front of the lofts are varnished with yacht varnish,the sides and back are painted with floor paint.The back corners have 6" X 6" steel plates on to stop the water getting in at the joints.The front to side joints are silliconed,same round the windows.

Here's an old photo to give you some idea.

Lindsay.

post-3092-12905425227787_thumb.jpg

Guest Gareth Rankin

BUTONOX 2 OIL OR WATER BASED LAST FOR YEARS ;););)

This is the best product on the market, have used it and the lofts have not been painted for the last 7 years, will maybe give them a coat in the spring.

Guest maiden heaven

Any ideas appreciated

Peter, I've been a Paint and Decorator for 34 years now, and I would really recommend Sadolins Superdec Satin.Its water bases, but when dry, and I know this is strange, but you have to use turps to remove it.Its really a contradiction of terms, but I used this on my own Budgerigar birdroom, and it still looks as good.I always recommend at least two coats.This nearly does it in one.Cuprinol also has good stains, but the Sadolins I would use.The only thing about mixes is, when your doing it again , having an off the slf mix is a lot easier for the DIY enthusist.Make sure when doing to have ground well covered.Usually a cheap roll of Roof felt will do the job.

Hope this helps, it will put a nice finish also, were Creosote does'nt and smells like s t.The Ronseal stuff, does what it says n the tin, but it does'nt tell you it costs an arm and leg.Also, do not buy from DIY stores like B&Q, as they are too expensive, go to a Paint store in your area.

Mick :blink:

Guest maiden heaven

it had crossed my mind to varnish it all after being treated

Peter, I would'nt Varnish, as if you then leave it for a year or two, when it becomes weathered it will eventually become scaly, and your into a whole problem stripping it back again.Most Stains, when in satin Gloss finish, are like a Varnish/stain mix anyway, the UV effects the varnish to be honest.If I lived closer, I'd knock it in for you, no probs!!!! :):rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest peter4pm

Butanox or however you spell it, i believe you get it from Keyline.

I have not used it but heard allot about it and i intend to do mine with it in the spring or on a decent day.

Scotty m :)

yea scotty it sounds the ticket

Guest maiden heaven

yea scotty it sounds the ticket

Everything has its disadvantages.PVC,Good for a while,not that we get much sun, but the UV rays actually bleach the PVC.Dulux in turn, have developed paint for PVC.So whatever way you go, I think you'll be painting.With paint, it is the Trade Recognised brands that put the research into their products, ie DULUX, CROWN , RONSEAL, SADOLINS.The Sadolins stain I recommended Peter, I would go with.You want to get a Trade name, that whenever you decide to freshen Loft up again, that the colour can be readily purchased.Maybe to add a little Linseed Oil to the mix would be a good idea also.

Not trying to fill you full of jargon, but there is a DIY option, and then there is the trade way to approach it.B&Q or HOMEBASE, or any DIY stores I would'nt recommend to buy your paint from.Go to a Trade Centre of Paint and Decorator supplier.A lot of people like Johnstones Paints, but personally, I never buy it as I feel it lacks Pigment.