Do You Remember

T_T

Do you remember your first race, how long ago, where from, breed of pigeon, colour, sex. A topic helping to get us through these winter months.

My own first race was from Chichester, 53 years ago. It was a lovely Bl Wft H and it was my first ever race on my own and it was the first YB race of the season. When I saw her coming, my heart jumped out of my chest. It was bred from two strays, a 6yr old Belgium splashed Mealy C and a 3yr old Bl H from the Cotswolds that had dropped in whilst flying the National. Owners had told us to keep em' and that was the result. She topped the Fed by a clear 3mins. Difficult to forget that. So do you think that is a good advert for crossing.? To this day, never knew what breed of pigeon they were.

my first race is shorly one to forget about was from bath sent 5 cock didnt see nowt on day next day had 1 cock back other cock reported hawked and other 3 still not seen to this day but do agree nothink better then seeing your birds come back.

all best

:):) my 1st race 1997 longtown 172 birds away in club. sunny day i was doing laps of the garden with a cigarette hanging out of the mouth.i had seen birds going over me plus evry bird that flew by starlings seagulls crows ect. then coming from the south east i could see a bird coming .straight for me he landed on house roof ch/pied staff van reet cock.one rattle of can he was down and in loft. with heart pounding i raced in to loft after him like a loony grabbed him (did not camley pick him up) band off and in to clock. 1st club delighted he was 2nd club following week and 1st club the next plus a lot more but can,t remember them all. THE PIED TOP CLASS PIGEON.

bred as a gift for me by the partnership of primrose and bell

my first race was from Winchester 77miles in 1977,I was flying in partnership

with my m8 we only send 2 but finished 2nd club vel 1406 only 25birds

sent in club very low but still had to get her home she was a nice

Blue Bar hen kirpatrick.great frill seeing her drop and that frill

is still there each week,when that stops I will stop. :)

Can't remember my very first race, 30-year gap dims the memory :rolleyes:

But after I started back I do remember my first OB race (in 2003) I was standing out the back garden when it dawned on me I hadn't thought out how I'd trap & catch the pigeon. Yearling dark chequer cock bred by my cousin Matt Stevenson (Uddingston) was the first to drop, he came in no bother, followed him in to his nest box went to catch him and he flew back out over my head - got him to go back into his box and caught him 2nd time round, ended up 4th club, but just a flash-in-the-pan, dropped him next week. :)

My earliest memory of winning a race was a Show Race from Worcester in 1977, the club held a winter show and the doos would then race for prize money the following season. We had a Red Grizzle Black Splash Ck SU 75 L 14907 and he won racing to 2 day yb's.

This race stuck in my mind as the Wh Gr was my doo given to me by my Da who told me in the winter that he would win the race. He also won all pools and accy the same day

Got loads of memorys. One of the first was seeing the 1st sect Exeter 1983 at aged 11. Had seen plenty of 1st prize winners at club but that was the first national prize winner that I can remember seeing LIVE!!. Seeing my dads face clocking 2 in 2 seconds from 501 miles and then another on the nite La Ferte Bernard gold cup. Seeing a nat winner wing its way home and just the very envolvement in this magic sport frae 50miles tae 500+miles

cant remember my first race as the old grey matter is kicking in but can remember the disappointment of winning my first race and the clock that a fellow member Lent me stopped just before checking time gutted but the mealy cock went on to win again mealy was always my favourite colour from then on pity it is now also the falcons :(

Guest WINGS 04

Or first race we had 10 latebreeds done nothing with them had 2 races then lost 6 off them then a membe rtold us to trian them for the come back races was 5th with a bwf hen

Guest REDFOXKRAUTHS

My first proper race on my own was in 2006 i was 14, and i sent 9 and got 7, I took 4th,9th and 10th club and 5th,10th,and 13th fed, my first hen was bred off of gift birds from stevie fenech, one was a direct herbots and the other a janssen based from belgium, she was a little light chequer and she had been hit by a hawk, and wasted 5 mins on the roof!! never forget that day i was buzzing like mad, running in and out the house!!!