Question For Widowhood

Guest pied 09

Guest pied 09

after reading dave allen's book, he pairs his widowhood cocks up at jan 15-16th. in doing so he times it so he can take a round of young from them, give the cocks a short break inbetween rounds and take another round of eggs for them to sit for around 8 days then put on widowhood. my question is with only having yearlings in my loft should i pair up earlier to allow them more time for nature to take its course.

after reading dave allen's book, he pairs his widowhood cocks up at jan 15-16th. in doing so he times it so he can take a round of young from them, give the cocks a short break inbetween rounds and take another round of eggs for them to sit for around 8 days then put on widowhood. my question is with only having yearlings in my loft should i pair up earlier to allow them more time for nature to take its course.

Only if you think yer yearling hens might be slow to lay? Maybe give them an extra week but you should still have plenty time between the herry and yer first race?

If you have decied on your system go with the flow sometimes i find yearlings don't always take to the system until later in the season, but stick with it, if they hit it off straight away your laughing

No, you would be better of missing the first race or two. I say this because the weather in April when most feds start racing is unpredictable, cold and in recent years the wind has in the main been from an easterly direction. Yearlings go down like ninepins in this type of weather, bring them out when weather conditions improve.

No, you would be better of missing the first race or two. I say this because the weather in April when most feds start racing is unpredictable, cold and in recent years the wind has in the main been from an easterly direction. Yearlings go down like ninepins in this type of weather, bring them out when weather conditions improve.

that id agree with if below 10 degrees leave them at home :)

Think alot depends on yer loft location as well? Race points can quickly pass by week by week up here in april and before you know it yer out tae 150miles and yer yearlings have a jump and may still get a nor easter for their first yin so rock and a hard place with nae comeback weeks to blood them in!

• 2 weeks later...

I read Dave Allens book did me no good, pair up 1st January breed one youngster, when on second round remove hen, let cocks

sit out eggs till they leave them start on widowhood. proof in the pudding is I won 7 out of 9 inland races with yearlings

and 5 seconds 4 thirds 2 4ths up to 500 club birds per week.

Guest spin cycle

ahh thats where we are lucky we have a short inland race when we got a chanel race so can get yearlings in any time in the season for us

same for me with nrcc...we get a short race mid may which is same day as dunbar...rarely fly a yearling before then. in this case (only got yearlings) one bad race and you're back to square one for 2012 JMO

i had all yearlings last year and they took ages to lay, this year i also have mostly yearlings (2010 birds)............which i will be pairing up on the 5th feb and during the time between now and then i will be putting them togeather each weekend then seperating them, so that by the time 5th feb comes they will already be paired and should have no problems laying. :o