Medisilver Colloidal Silver

Guest nikkimass35

Guest nikkimass35

Hi all i was wondering if anyone has used this product it is supposed to help\against bacteria fungal and yeast infections

I wouldn't use it! Cider vinegar will do the job for less than a quid a bottle out of tesco. A couple of table spoonfuls or fill the screwtop and add to your drinkers. 2 or 3 times a week should keep them right.

I have to say though that i dislike these products that perform miracles, ma lot get Half a canker tab and the PMV injection when being weaned then nothing that i can't get out of the supermarket, like vinegar and garlic, for the rest of their natural.

Guest Owen

Yes I used it for about two years. I was not impressed. I had been going through a period when I had had trouble with young bird sickness and I thought this stuff would be good to sterilise the drinking water. I am afraid that I have consigned it to the same bin I put eyesign, pedigree pigeons and a lot more white elephants in.

I sorted out the young bird sickness using other means and I almost never see it these days.

Guest Owen

I found making it a real pain. You are suposed to use distilled water when you make it but then the electric current will not flow through it. I found that very hot water was better but still not easy to use. The only water that would become energised was tap water with all it's impurities.

I have found that the trick in maintaining health in the pigeons is to concentrate on building up their imunity and making sure that they have slightly acid water to drink. I have come to believe that too much tanin, as in brown skinned grain will ruin the birds. These days I feed a much lighter diet which gives me the bonus of the youngsters exercising much more freely than before. And I am always on the lookout for the bird that is slow to eat. To me birds, like dogs, should eat with real gusto and without hesitation. Anything less spells trouble. Slow eaters don't stand a chance here because I am very quick to pick up the feeding troughs and they find themselves on short rations. And the short rations assists in reducing the risk of the contents of the crop turning sour and consequently making the bird very ill.

Guest Freebird

I found making it a real pain. You are suposed to use distilled water when you make it but then the electric current will not flow through it. I found that very hot water was better but still not easy to use. The only water that would become energised was tap water with all it's impurities.

I have found that the trick in maintaining health in the pigeons is to concentrate on building up their imunity and making sure that they have slightly acid water to drink. I have come to believe that too much tanin, as in brown skinned grain will ruin the birds. These days I feed a much lighter diet which gives me the bonus of the youngsters exercising much more freely than before. And I am always on the lookout for the bird that is slow to eat. To me birds, like dogs, should eat with real gusto and without hesitation. Anything less spells trouble. Slow eaters don't stand a chance here because I am very quick to pick up the feeding troughs and they find themselves on short rations. And the short rations assists in reducing the risk of the contents of the crop turning sour and consequently making the bird very ill.

Hi Owen, what do you feed your birds with? Thanks.

Guest Owen

2 weeks after weaning, they get 2 scopes of young bird mix(no maize), 2 scopes of depuritive, 1 scope of pellets. I have found that birds on darkness are often slow to get up and fly so I change the diet as follows. I reduce the youngbird mix and add Geri Plus so that they have the extra energy.

and I think it is important to treat for cocci because cocci will deprive them of energy. When the youngsters are up and flying properly I remove the Geri Plus because they will go crackers and fly for hours on end. My youngsters are on at least 50% depuritive until racing ends. During the racing when the birds are being trained a lot they are back on maize.

The one thing to avoid is birds that eat too much. They should never have very full crops because they will end up being seriously ill.

Hi Owen, I picked up a remark you made,

"I have come to believe that too much tanin, as in brown skinned grain will ruin the birds"

The Canadian vet who writes in one of the weekly pigeon books also made the same observation.My young birds are on30/40% vanrobaeys depuritive the rest blue peas,fingers crossed they are in good health and hope to keep them that way.

Lindsay.

Guest Owen

I first picked up the idea that some foods are poisonous to birds and animals through looking at what happens when certain animals and birds eat certain foods. Pigs can happily eat acorns in the autumn and winter, while sheep will become ill if they eat them. Acorns are full of tanin. Pigs can eat bracken roots providing they are given vitamin suppliments while they do so. Bracken is very poisonous to other animals. Billy goats can eat yew, but I do not know of any other animal or bird that can get away with it. Macaws will eat berries that are posionous to other creatures, but compensate for that by flying miles to eat Clay which acts as medicine for them. So I have come to realise that certain foods may not be actually poisonous but will not be as beneficial as we once thought. Way back there was a great move to feeding pigeons on hopper fed Beans. This was something that a Guy called Old Hand made popular. I doubt that many would feed that sort of diet today. And it is worth pointing out that the birds fed this beans only diet were given plenty of of additional food to suport the beans. In fact it was never beans only.

I have no doubt that kaolin, derived from clay, is a great addition to the diet of pigeons. You will know this when you feed the clay blocks because the pigeons love the stuff. And it is definately good in preventing loose droppings in the nest. I do not claim to know exactly how all this works but I know that feeding a lighter diet to youngsters has been a major part in reducing younge bird sickness to almost nothing. And to be totally honest, I tend to regard a crop of youngsters in much the same light as I would a row of carrots. I will thin the crop down by removing any weaklings that may be there. I think it is a mistake to expect them all to be up to the standard we need.