Fads & Fancy's

Tony C

I'm interested in what fanciers like (or dislike) to see in their pigeons especially young birds, be it behaviour, colour or anything else you like or dislike. I'm also interested in any fads you that might like to share. This is not a question on selection its just a question of what we as individuals like.

My dislikes, sooty blues, white headed pieds, grunters

Like, light blue chequers, medium sized pigeons, young'uns laying not standing in the nestbowl.

Fad, I don't let the pigeons in after a bath until completely dry

not botherd what colour they are ,deep keel,bent keel,crap in the hand, pretty/ugly its all about winners. All pigeons can win with the above i know i have got one. She,s won club/fed/classic level, bred winners the lot.

Dad bought the pigeon at a breeder/buyer when i saw her the next day i told him to kill it needless to say he would not (thankgod)

tomo

ps it also won the b/b

I agree beautiful is as beautiful does, but most of us pick out a couple of young'uns from our y/b team (more times than not putting the kiss of death on em') what is it these have that the others don't? can you explain it or is it just a feeling you get?

Guest Silverwings

like pigeons with soft feather texture (yellow feather) ,slow breathing rythms , soft and supple pectoral muscles ,their eyes set low in the forhead with a strong depth of colour and plenty of activity ,they must be calm and not stress in the hand ,the back should remain straight and the tail not dip or go upright ,infact they have to all these qualities and loads more i look for , if they get past this lot and do 80 miles single up as youngsters i might just start to like them  (interesting thread this )......ray

when young ones in the nest nice not to hear a sound if you can hear the young the young ones are hungry and the parents aint feeding them enough or the fancier aint giving them enough. people copme to my loft when breeding and see corn all over the place yet i keep topping up the feeders, then they say 'what a waste' but even if there was abag of corn on the foor whats £10 for 30 well bred young birds?

Guest slugmonkey

here here Gez!!!!  feed IS cheap

I like parents that fight me and bite when I reach into the nest and babies that hit me with their wings and are hard to hold onto I keep peas everywhere and enough water to float a ship I let my breeders bathe 2 times a week and put the babies back in the nest twice at least. I like bull eyed pieds or at least dark eyes ( although a giant, pearl eyed, powder blue is an awesome sight when he is 4 minutes out in front ) I lean towards dark checks the bigger the better as long as they dont weigh anything ( bouyant ) with long wings and tails being a bonus if they can open up and sail faster than others can flap all the better ( longcast ) I like it when I try to look down their throat and they fight and toss their heads so I cant grab their beaks I like a tic behind the eye and they need to be wider through the shoulders than deeper in the chest, less than a finger width in the vents, shiny pink feet and flights that look like the bussiness end of a switchblade with little step, WIDE keel and alabaster cere

yeah right !!!

Likes are Blue's, Chequers, and Dark'uns with bold heads and prominent wattles. I dont care what colour their eyes are as long as they have 2. I like pigeons that when you go into the loft they just sit and watch you with content and dont fly over your head like nutters. Most of all I like pigeons that win and never seem to ail.

Dislikes, seagull pieds, pigeons that ail under stress, and pigeons that fight and go in the wrong box for no apparent reason.

But if they were all perfect then it would be boring.

Guest cloudview

most of my mates who fly w/hood use a thick blanket over basket this semidarkness keeps them calm  that is  untill they are crated with other birds  then all hell is let loose most of them nackered before the race as started