SECRETS IN PIGEON RACING

HEIDELBERG SOUTH AFRICA

ES I AGREE, BUT I STRUGGLE IN THE SHORT DISTANCE RACES.  FOR THREE/FOUR RACES I DO NOT OBTAIN A PLACE IN THE TOP 30 IN THE CLUB.  I REALLY STRUGGLE IN THE SHORT DISTANCES.  THERE MUST BE SOMETHING THE OTHER DO IN THE SHORT DISTANCES THAT I DO NOT KNOW ABOUT?  MAYBE I DO NOT HAVE SHORT DISTANCE BIRDS. I DON'T KNOW!

its all about finding the right system that suits you and your birds, trial and error. some say feed them this feed them that, i have found what works best for me is giving them as much as they want, food there all day long. it worked for me, doesnt mean it will work for you. like i said have a go at what you think try it if it doesnt work, try something else, and in the end you will hit on something. DONT GIVE UP!!

ES I AGREE, BUT I STRUGGLE IN THE SHORT DISTANCE RACES.  FOR THREE/FOUR RACES I DO NOT OBTAIN A PLACE IN THE TOP 30 IN THE CLUB.  I REALLY STRUGGLE IN THE SHORT DISTANCES.  THERE MUST BE SOMETHING THE OTHER DO IN THE SHORT DISTANCES THAT I DO NOT KNOW ABOUT?  MAYBE I DO NOT HAVE SHORT DISTANCE BIRDS. I DON'T KNOW!

hi, there are a number of things that could be stopping u winning at short distance

if u have distance pigeons/feeding wrong/no motivation... urself and the birds/an underlying illness/better flyers than you...it could be anything.

i would try a new strain of birds that are noted for being sprint pigeons,change ur corn to sprint mixture and see if ur luck changes.

dont do the drastic option of getting rid of the pigeons u have...who knows they might surprise u by changing ur routine and feeding......paul :)

....its all about finding the right system that suits you and your birds, trial and error. some say feed them this feed them that, i have found what works best for me is giving them as much as they want, food there all day long. it worked for me, doesnt mean it will work for you. like i said have a go at what you think try it if it doesnt work, try something else, and in the end you will hit on something. DONT GIVE UP!!

Agree mostley with that, I'd say getting the Birds contented and at ease with their home, surroundings is paramount and number one for me. Then of course a simple system that suits both you (firstly) and then your pigeons. This of course will mean a few will be a fly away - not many, about 2/3 topa of the top of the loft so to spek. Then Health can be attained both mentally and physically to match when arriving in condition and super form.

This I believe has to be way before any motivation can be achieved... Which I believe that this is self inducing when the birds attain their peak condition, or simply put Motivation became a part of when in prime health / condition.

Guest anthony
BE HONEST. THERE MUST BE SOMETHING THE OLDER FANCIERS DO THAT WE DO NOT KNOW ABOUT.  ARE YOU FROM SOUTH AFRICA?  

With all the respect to the modern fancier.If you are winning and you give nothing,when asked what have you used to have won the race,you answere nothing(being honest)no body believe you.you have to lie and say I have given that and that,than they belive you

Well that has an element os truth ... But what so many, indeed too many have done and do is give an honest answer that is sadly lacking a element of an  all important piece!

But the one biggest factor that anyone and everyone should take into consideration of any quotation is THEIR System and what the elements are that relate to that / them systems.

The one biggest element of any motivation has to be JEALOUSY, regardless how applied or achieved. Nest Box, Partner / perch, the fuzz of the fancier etc. etc. etc. JMO

Hello Heidi,

There`s no such thing as a complete natural system,and anyway,i thought all you springbox used the celibacy ideal?

Why do you want to try to win those short races,what for ?there just 2 a penny,your best of finding glory further up the road,around these parts,i noticed the last few years,half the sprint boys don`t even feed the last 3 days before a race,their birds even try to eat the shavings when you drop them in the club crates,it`s a disgrace.

All very good answers and informative. I say don't be afraid to change with the times. We didn't have to used to worry about bird flu either! The challenges of racing change and so do fixes. There are always new discoveries and remedies. Never stop listening, reading, and learning. And don't be afraid to try something new.

Carol

Ben am unsure what you mean by a complete natural system.

Surely a open hole and hopper feeder, left to breed and mate where they like ... was only last year ever that I have evr seperated mine ... again this last month... and that is  purely  because I wish to change mates etc.

So perhaps you could expand on there being no complete natural system.

And no after late September / early October any eggs - which were rare was substituted for pot eggs. By November there isn't any laying till near March.

Have in one compartment 10 pairs,  last egg was st week in October,  sure they coo around abit etc. but none mated in the true sense. Was as I said a pain when wanting to change partners of course and nest boxes. Hence the cocks will be put to the Hen's nest box if a fresh mate is chosen.

Ronnie in some aspects your right and some aspects your wrong!The loft location also depends on the wind direction.  But at the end of the day if the bird is in very condition you can top the federation no matter where you are positioned and what wind direction. There is always a prodominant west wind most years and our federations top flyer Micky Connolly lives in canning town and if wind and loft location was dominant factor of deciding, going on the law of averages the wind direction is prodimentally west, Mick Connolly shouldnt have a chance. But i can vouch for him that his pigeons week in week out and he can top the federation from any wind direction mark my words.Because tony c will say on a west wind the birds down this end will always come out of tonys area dagenham and the barking way, and in the east they should come from Mickys way.Trust me if your pigeons are on the ball ronnie they will win and win well whatever wind direction or loft location, as these are just helping factors i believe!

Wiley I believe that comment '  But at the end of the day if the bird is in very condition you can top the federation no matter where you are positioned and what wind direction' is absolute ludicris. 123 years, upto now 20 Nationals a season, and less than 6 wins! And great flyers with tip top Loft Manangers, like Frankie George who bought the best birds even at world record prices like the 'Flying Dutchmen' etc, proves that very logic a fallacy!

We can't alter the wind, only adjust our sails mate, and when looks at the wins in over a 100 years on one hand VIA some absolutely fantastic, knowledgeable flyers, then the question why do those able, only buy a location in the East, or up a Valley. The reason is abundantly clear. And I' not knocing those able, not by a long chalk, but most when looking at results, look more closely at the lofts position than the wins! Like a couple in Belgium that not many over here are even awre of, have the top NAMES bicker and argueing for their birds!

When one loks at their birds exercising, and circling, and the FITTER they are the more noticable it is how they Speed up and slow up, even to a near stop, - depending on the winds strength - then curve and zoom again. If one hasn't seen, nor can rlate to that, then their observation needs seriously looking at.

As for me I'm finished  - hopefully - on this topic.

Oh yes getting back to nothing new in racing, just a different slant take Eyesign and what I quoted the earliest record of the subject being applied to pigeons, dates back over 500 years ago in the land of Persia. (Turkey today) by a man called Abduhl Fasule. He was the Governing Adminstrator, and a pigeon fancier of sorts. He raised table birds, for eating purposes?????? Carnu's and king's etc.

Guest TAMMY_1
When one loks at their birds exercising, and circling, and the FITTER they are the more noticable it is how they Speed up and slow up, even to a near stop, - depending on the winds strength - then curve and zoom again. If one hasn't seen, nor can rlate to that, then their observation needs seriously looking at.

As for me I'm finished  - hopefully - on this topic.

WELL ANOTHER POST AFTER THIS ONE MAKES YOU WRONG AGAIN SIR  [ AND NOT FOR THE FIRST TIME I MAY ADD ]

BE HONEST. THERE MUST BE SOMETHING THE OLDER FANCIERS DO THAT WE DO NOT KNOW ABOUT.  ARE YOU FROM SOUTH AFRICA?  

HEIDELBERG.

Hello my friend.  Well you ask for honesty, unlike some of the answers above here is you honesty on winning the short races.   TRAINING and more training is one of the most important things I can pass along to you.  Everyone here will say ya I could have said that, like the flyers that say there are no secrets, well my friend there definately are secrets, now these secrets could be just something that an old flyer does that he has done for years and he just doesn't think about it anymore as being very important.  But trust me it is.  I will list all that I think to be important with ybs.

1. Training.

2. No feed on the day of basketing (short races only max of 225 miles)

3. Vitimins/electrolites 2 days prior to basketing.

4. 2 drops elderberry extract at basketing.  (this calms the bird)

I can already hear the fingers hitting the keyboards after I post this.  But these are my thoughts and practices and if you don't agree then so be it.  Good luck to you and if you try this and your birds are healthy I will guarentee you will be better than 30th with your young birds on the shorter distance races.  Again good luck.  Ed