which clock?

Hi,

Just starting up. Got my loft. Got birds. Now I need a clock. Been looking at used clocks on ebay. After reading the RPRA rules on approved clocks it seems to be a bit of a minefield. The last thing I want to do is buy a clock then find out it needs an expensive mod to come up to standard.

Found a junior T2 12 bird that seems to foot the bill.

RPRA say it can only be used in conjunction with approved printer. Do I need to buy one or would the club have a shared one for members.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jupiter,if you are looking for a good seconhand clock i would recommend either a stb or a benzing,if you get a older one they are wind up models but the newer ones will be quartzs which need new batteries from time to time,but these are only the ordinary torch batteries which you can fit yourself,where as if you get a seconhand t2 or t3 you have to send them away to have a new battery fitted which i believe is 50-60 pound.

Going to a few sales and trade shows over the last few weeks it does seem that the sale of clocks as allready started and at stupid prices,at one time every body seemed to be after a T3,now there,s loads of them for sale, i think perhaps people are beginning to realise that ets will be here in the very near future and are perhaps offloading spare clocks which they may have,or trying to get as much for them as possible while they can.

• 1 month later...

Right got myself an STB windup for christmas. Seems ok but I need some info.

The print out is very faint, especially for the minutes.

I,m guessing it needs a new ribbon. Can I fit this myself and if so how? or do the clock people at the club that I,ll be joining do it? or does it have to be sent away?

The same question applies to the paper roll.

Also does any one know how to wind it up as I want to check it works ok now, rather than leave it untill the season starts and then find it needs cleaning or adjusting etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ok thanks. But I have it now so I have to give it a go. Thats why I need find out how to wind it up and change the ribbon now so that I can check its reliability while theres still time to get sorted before the season starts.

sent you a pm :)

Guest TAMMY_1
wind up clocks wouldnt use them myself personally they can cut out while ur waiting for your birds or even after uve timed in to much hassel

you old enough to remember wind up clocks :P

Nice one.

Got my clock wound courtesy of clockman. Its ticking so thats a start. Need to set the time now. Would that just be a simple matter of turning the minute hand untill I reach the correct time or is there some other method?

There are 2 small dials set behind the main dial face. Anyone know what these are?

Still none the wiser about changing the ink ribbon or paper roll.

Nice one.

Got my clock wound courtesy of clockman. Its ticking so thats a start. Need to set the time now. Would that just be a simple matter of turning the minute hand untill I reach the correct time or is there some other method?

There are 2 small dials set behind the main dial face. Anyone know what these are?

Still none the wiser about changing the ink ribbon or paper roll.

Thanks for all your input especially clockman who helped me with plenty of info.

As for ETS.....Well the first time round of keeping pigeons In the seventies I absolutely loved the buzz of working out when my birds were due home, then waiting by the loft scanning the skies for my first arrival, trapping it and removing the rubber etc. My birds were always tame as it was crucial to trap and catch the bird as quick as possible with the least amount of fuss. It was even more of a buzz clocking in a bird early sunday morning from a long distance or extremely hard race.

Surely the same buzz is absent with ETS as the birds effectively clock their selves.

Even a bad trapper could score well. And would you bother to get up at 5am after a long haul as you would using a manual clock?

I'm sure this debate will run and run.

Hi, i'm new, but think the electronis are the way to go in the future,I believe it will bring in many more members that would not have the time to stand around and wait for the birds to arrive (which i love)! So many people are running their kids to soccer, basketball, volleyball, swimming meets and the like that there is little time just to be there for the birds home coming, so the electronics may be the win--win situation for the future of racing pigeon clubs JMHO! P.S. If dad gets into it then the kids will follow and that is the real future as i see it!