selecting  distance birds

Guest cloudview

Guest cloudview

when  bringing  new stock  , what  criteria do you look for  ,  ie   long casted  ,etc  ect   regardless  of pedigree

Yes would have to be results in national races from 500 miles and up for a number of years.

vincent having met you i,m sure by your keeness to do well you will stick to the task of selecting the right birds for your familyto build on in your area and others there are certain people to go too where you canpick the right ones butas the last post states it does not happen over night you have to build it takes 2 or 3 years mate to get the them together and sometimes that goes wrong , i know you will stick with it and reap the rewards   all the best for 2008

Guest cloudview

good answers but not the  ones  im looking for  , maybe  i did,nt  make it  precise enough .      what  i want  to know  is ,  for example   no 1  you have  already  decided who you are buying  off , you at his loft  looking to buy  two pairs  out of  a possible  twenty pairs  .    on pedigree and performance  they are  eqeal .     now what  are  your   selections  or should say  your  likes and dislikes

good answers but not the  ones  im looking for  , maybe  i did,nt  make it  precise enough .      what  i want  to know  is ,  for example   no 1  you have  already  decided who you are buying  off , you at his loft  looking to buy  two pairs  out of  a possible  twenty pairs  .    on pedigree and performance  they are  eqeal .     now what  are  your   selections  or should say  your  likes and dislikes

personally i would select the birds that look and handle the same as the winning pigeons in his loft  ;)

Guest slugmonkey

Look at where the bird is nesting, then handle him does he fight me or is he very complacent. open the wing, how is feather quality, are the flights long and knife like or rounded. is there a step in the wing, release the wing does it snap back or does he just leisurly pull it back, pull on beak does he throw his head around and try to pull back or does he wait till I release him, throw backend down does his tail drop or does it stay straight

Asking the sellers opinion would be something that springs to mind. Other than this Delboy is not far of the mark when he talks of temperament and balance are also key to making a choice.not sure however about length of tail or wings however they should be in proportion to the birds body.

More important than all this, make sure your in the right loft to get these stock pigeons that will be your foundation for years to come.Think hard and think long, and check results over two or three years at least.

Interesting thread

Cheers

Rab Smith

Yes, If I was starting again, the intelligent looking head would play a main part. Some guys don't know what I mean, but a loft full "sweetness", would reign supreme.  ;)  

fine stu if you have allready decided who you are buying off i would put my faith in that person as you must have trusted him before deciding to buy off him   as you know stu good birds come in all shapes and sizes a typical example is your tarbes cock and your pau hen you know the one i picked out and suggested where it should go

Guest cloudview

i seemed to remember  you telling  me and i quote    stu whats that fu   ting , you dont want bird s like that in yer loft , am i right

its not all down to the long distance pigeon you know , manageing these birds also plays a big part to play you can go and select what ever you want and still do nothing with them , your skills come into it in a big big way, so you pick out the ones you want from the fanciers you want , and hey presto , i,m afraid its just not like that you have to work at it really hard to get the returns you can expect and most of the time its down to grass roots again building a family of birds and putting them to-gether to win is a daunting task and years of experience is to be gained in doing so pigeons come in all shapes and sizes i could take you to a loft and you will  say how the hell does he win with them , this man could be the master of the long distance pigeon , its how he manages them that matters .

Guest cloudview

cheers , for your answers  , im  not looking myself , but was interested on other views ,  personally  i like them  small to medium  shallow keeled  , good rump cover, noble headed ,although not that impotant plus a big fad of mine , no gaps in flights, except last four  also not to leggy  with necks like an ostrich