AGE TO RING

oldguy

Kev, it depends on the development of your young birds, I am ringing the racers at 5 days and the show racers at 10 days as they rings are different sizes.

Try at 5 days and if the ring slides back off easily then leave it another day and try again.

Phil

EIGHT DAYS OLD. Impossible to lose a ring in the nest, and not imposible to get them on. If a ring does come off at 8 days old, Dispose of the weakling.  ALWAYS

carry a paper towel, and a small portion of vaseline, just in case you have the dates wrong yourself. The paper towel is to hold the ybs  front three  greasy toes, if you have miscalculated. But a good fancier can "feel" when they are ready for ringing. ;)  

Guest marksimpson
Ive searched the various posts but cant find the one that will answer my question

at what age (days) is best to ring the young birds ?

kev

hi kev how long before you pick birds up as things is changing pretty rapidly here with aviary asap please kev

Guest TAMMY_1
Ive searched the various posts but cant find the one that will answer my question

at what age (days) is best to ring the young birds ?

kev

you just know by picking the birds up and holding them, I tend to do it a bit later than do it too early, have never rung a pigeon before 7 days old

years ago when breeding pellets first came out for racing pigeons i thought i would give them a try

the youngsters grew so quickly in the first week that if you did not ring them before 7 days old you struggled to get the ring on  but after 11 days old they seemed to level the rate of growth  off to a normal rate

did not see any great difference in size or quality  of youngsters at weaning time but there was no wastage of food as the old birds did not scatter it looking for certain grains

i alwats ring now about 7 days but i am always checking as it also gets the youngsters used to being handled at an early age