have fanciers stopped reporting pigeons

jimmy white

looking at the lost and found posts , many of these lost birds have wing stamps , address rings etc ,why do    many fanciers not report lost birds now,

it will soon be time for the" annual slaughter of the innocents :o" [the young birds] im quite sure these birds could be reported [even through pigeon basics, and back in their loft in no time ,]

i certainly wouldnt blame any stray pigeon turning up, here , its been chucking it down, allmost since yesterday afternoon , with thunder and lightning

Guest chrisss

i think the problem is that [rightly or wrongly] the average fancier breeds about 40/50 birds a year [some a lot more]if you lose a yb most guys will not pay £30.00 for amtrak for a bird that has made a mistake,and ,when it gets home,goe's straight back to the guy who reported it,hence the story telling about its parents been "directs"[so what?]its a good bird do you want it? its from fed winners etc!!!,until the unions can find a cheap way of getting stray birds moved, very few will be reported,for most guys its too much effort,you know that 9 times out of ten the owner will not want it back

i think the problem is that [rightly or wrongly] the average fancier breeds about 40/50 birds a year [some a lot more]if you lose a yb most guys will not pay £30.00 for amtrak for a bird that has made a mistake,and ,when it gets home,goe's straight back to the guy who reported it,hence the story telling about its parents been "directs"[so what?]its a good bird do you want it? its from fed winners etc!!!,until the unions can find a cheap way of getting stray birds moved, very few will be reported,for most guys its too much effort

probably true ,,,in a way chriss ,, but see rolands post as to his reasons , but its certainly true what you say,,,

a bird came in this morning ,,,,,,,,,,,half an hour later :)  im speaking to the owner of the ring,, thanks to red cheq hen  :) really not difficult  :) :) :)

Guest REDFOXKRAUTHS

they get reported but most say to keep them or they tell you to top it so whats the point ( by the way i do report every stray i get!)

just had a pigeon reported that went missing last year, the first young bird race in july. hes in good health still got its ets ring on. where it been for all this time. the fanicer who reported would like keep it (not hyped up by me) he quite liked it. quite happy for him to keep it. but would it be worth £30 plus the hassle of amtrak for a young bird thats never raced. then what could you do with the pigeon.

i have had two lost ybs from last year back this week both still with ets rings

reported one that came in today from hull will toss it from carlisle on tuesday on my way to manchester

it was racing from perth on saturday the owner said

if its any cosolation bart i had this some time ago, [a yb retuning as a yearling b4 the first o,b  race [about a week] most fanciers told me to get rid of it , it took to a spare box, was sent to the first race, came ok , was my first bird from worcester roughly 250 miles , i stopped him after this ,, he turned out one of the best birds i had , winning 6 races and quite few positions , i lost him in that hard rennes national race where there was only 21 birds timed in , in race time , so it proves that pigeons are strange things :)

white by name and white by nature,,,what more do you want jimmy ?    :) :) :) :) :) :)

;D ;D ;D just wish i was jimmy white the snooker player ;D ;D ;D

i reported a bird belonging to wooff bros and son ,,,new ollerton about 30 years ago , became a great freind ever since, to all his family,,, and keep in touch regularly  :)

to your original question jimmy m8 i have the answer no , i am still waiting for owner of whu bird to contact me  re his bird

its disgaceful ,makes me think wats the point of reporting birds if the owner doesnt have decency to contact ya ???????????

i know how you feel rick, but lucky, most are not like that ,,,,,see my post on your lost column [he MUST contact you]

just had a pigeon reported that went missing last year, the first young bird race in july. hes in good health still got its ets ring on. where it been for all this time. the fanicer who reported would like keep it (not hyped up by me) he quite liked it. quite happy for him to keep it. but would it be worth £30 plus the hassle of amtrak for a young bird thats never raced. then what could you do with the pigeon.

the choice is yours john , either transfer the pigeon to the fancier or , really you must [by rule] send for the bird ,,,,,,,,,,,but i see where your comming from , it does make you a little annoyed  :( ,,,,  but by the same token , and you lost your best bird ,even maybe injured ,im sure you would be glad to get it back ,if reported , so maybe its swings and roundabouts :)

Guest Paulo

Hard for me to keep them with having a small setup I'm not going to let some manky stray anywhere near my race team. As for Yb's if they are local I report them. I might buy a rabbit hutch or something to keep them in.

I've never had one of my birds reported to me.