Pigeon in my kitchen!

invalidusername

it depends on what you get. If you get a rabbit hutch the you will prob only have enough height to give him a block to sit on.

I would keep him in for a couple of days and feed him and water him in there, once he knows where the food is he will soon return to it.

You may want to consider the following:-

Don't leave him with food 24/7, get him a routine that you feed him at a certain time of day, prob evening so that when you call him he will return to his home for food and at that point you can also shut him in at night for safety. You can start this routine when you are settleing him to his new home, some fanciers call there birds in, some whistle, etc. What ever you do, it may only be rattle some food in a tin always do the same and he will know what the call means and come rushing in!

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do be care full of predictors. Don't want to get this far and loss him. Up till now he has looked after himself, and his self preservation.

Just be careful mate

Cheers

Rab Smith

You're absolutely right, and that's one of my worries really.  I don't want him to lose his survival instincts, as they're served him well over the past couple of years.  I want to make sure he's got somewhere safe and dry to come back to, but also let him do his own thing if you know what I mean.  I'll certainly make sure it's all cat proof though.

Do be care full of predictors. Don't want to get this far and loss him. Up till now he has looked after himself, and his self preservation.

Just be careful mate

Cheers

Rab Smith

You're absolutely right, and that's one of my worries really.  I don't want him to lose his survival instincts, as they're served him well over the past couple of years.  I want to make sure he's got somewhere safe and dry to come back to, but also let him do his own thing if you know what I mean.  I'll certainly make sure it's all cat proof though.

it depends on what you get. If you get a rabbit hutch the you will prob only have enough height to give him a block to sit on.

I would keep him in for a couple of days and feed him and water him in there, once he knows where the food is he will soon return to it.

Don't leave him with food 24/7, get him a routine that you feed him at a certain time of day, prob evening so that when you call him he will return to his home for food and at that point you can also shut him in at night for safety. You can start this routine when you are settleing him to his new home, some fanciers call there birds in, some whistle, etc. What ever you do, it may only be rattle some food in a tin always do the same and he will know what the call means and come rushing in!

Great advice.  Thanks!

Personally, I dont like the sound of its present condition. Best of luck with it anyhow! Vic.

That's got me worried   :(  I'm off to buy a home for him anyway, and if the worst happens, at least he'll be safe.  

Great advice.  Thanks!

That's got me worried   :(  I'm off to buy a home for him anyway, and if the worst happens, at least he'll be safe.  

wondering if you could, get a photo of his present state, and a photo of his droppings if possible?

Great advice.  Thanks!

Personally, I dont like the sound of its present condition. Best of luck with it anyhow! Vic.

I'll try to get a pic of the pigeon's condition including droppings later, but I've just come in from the cold wind after putting together the hutch I bought for him.  It was the least like a hutch I could find (drove for miles to get it).  There's quite a lot of room in there.  Ignore the fact that it's on the ground - I'm going back out in a moment to put the stand together.  It takes it quite high up.  Hope pigeon starts feeling better and that he likes his shelter!

I'll try to get a pic of the pigeon's condition including droppings later, but I've just come in from the cold wind after putting together the hutch I bought for him.  It was the least like a hutch I could find (drove for miles to get it).  There's quite a lot of room in there.  Ignore the fact that it's on the ground - I'm going back out in a moment to put the stand together.  It takes it quite high up.  Hope pigeon starts feeling better and that he likes his shelter!

I think he will be very happy in there! You can always hang an old towel or something over the front if we get a cold night.

If you are able to try and face it south so he gets some sun!

Good  luck

Phil

Thanks, Phil.  I also bought a thick plastic cover with a roll-up front for that very purpose!  Sun you say?  I don't remember what that looks like ;-)

what a brilliant little hutch for the  one in the limelight at the moment its very good and easy to get into to clean out as well , hears hoping for bigger things to come and we may see another new fancier friend       cheers

I think he will be very happy in there! You can always hang an old towel or something over the front if we get a cold night.

If you are able to try and face it south so he gets some sun!

Good  luck

Phil

Thanks, Phil.  I also bought a thick plastic cover with a roll-up front for that very purpose!  Sun you say?  I don't remember what that looks like ;-)

Guest mikkey
mikkey, does it still have them?

It can be just caused by stress but can be a sign of underlying problems and would sugest getting them tested to know for sure.

Phil

checked the new bird out today droppings look normal (i think) cheers phil

Cheers for the hutch comments, guys.  He's still puffed out, and not doing much - he's been in the garage all day, of course.  I've caused household strife and have brought him into the kitchen as it's really cold out there.  He's sitting on a box in a tray under the table, with a blanket over the table so that he feels safe.  He's really puffed out though, as you can see from the pic.  He's on one leg (although has been using both).

What to do?

Cheers for the hutch comments, guys.  He's still puffed out, and not doing much - he's been in the garage all day, of course.  I've caused household strife and have brought him into the kitchen as it's really cold out there.  He's sitting on a box in a tray under the table, with a blanket over the table so that he feels safe.  He's really puffed out though, as you can see from the pic.  He's on one leg (although has been using both).

What to do?

is there no chance of you getting anyone to check the pigeon out,

to see if there is anything wrong with it, so you could be at peace

with yourself regarding its health, anyone at all with in distance

to you who can help .

he may be just exhausted but you need to keep an eye on him. If he stops eating then there is a serious problem and may need a visit to an avian vet.

If he is still eating and drinking ok then he is just resting.

Phil

what area do you live in with the bird? There may be a local member on here who would be prepared to pop round and check on him.

Hi.  He's still with us, but I'm concerned that whist he's been taking a few glugs of water, I haven't seen him eating.  He looked interested in some peanuts last night (I broke them up for him), but I don't think he actually ate them.  Clockman kindly referred me to an avian vet in Cheshire, and I've mailed him for advice.

I live in Bristol.

Sorry to be a nuisance, but as he hasn't eaten (he does have a drink when I offer it to him), I'm worried that he's just going to starve.  Is there anything I can force on him?  Is there anything safe and nutritious?  I've mailed an avian vet (thanks to clockman), and have PMd a local member to me.  But I feel so helpless just watching him sat there.  His droppings are wet, a bit slimy, greenish colour.

Thanks for looking.