Warren Foster?

Five years is a long time especially for a novice who are eager for success, for me after 3 years at the latest they would have had to have shown something for me to have the confidence to breed from them again.

i was talking about scoring at the distance gareth, think about it ,you buy them as yougsters, keep them a year breed off them , so thats 1 year, you breed for 2 years swaping pairs  and the young are now 2yrs and 3yrs old , so thats 4years till you send them to 500-600 miles and thats your first attempt at this distance ,remember gareth i was talking about a novice here, thats why i have said you can find out sprinters quicker than distance birds, and agree 3years is long enough for them

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the input guys.

I went to see Warren the other day, he has some very nice birds there and it was lovely watching the whites fly. I was warned to be careful as he has a very sales man type about him but that is probably true as it is his business.

He seemed genuine and was very nice to me. He gave me some old copies of the International Pictorial magazine (one from 1984!) and some recent copies of the Homing World magazine, he also gave me the 2009 Stud Book and a book he wrote called "The Little White Emperor". He let me look around his avairies (yes they were a bit dirty but he said it was so cold, he didn't want to be up there - I do think that was a bit wrong as I believe the health of the animal comes first and surely sitting in all your own sh*t isn't good).

I saw a lovely little gay pied hen there which he said I could have (she was produced from 2 whites) and he said he would try and pair her up for me with a red cock free of charge to get me started! I thought that was a very nice gesture from him (I certainly couldn't afford his prices as they start at £100 each). He also said they will need a bit of a clean up but I can have a food trough, a water fountain and a training crate which again was very nice of him.

I have decided to take him up on his offer as to me he seemed genuine and I have nothing to loose. The pair of birds will be stock birds and I will keep you updated as to what they produce which I will hopefully try and fly.

Well at least he's helping a novice out which is more than some people in the sport would do

Guest Gareth Rankin

OK if it,s a novice maybe a little longer but if the novice has the correct method then why should he be any different to the experienced fancier. If a fancier is purchasing now 2009 then by 2011 he should have at the very least yearlings that are coming well/steady from around 300 miles. By 2012 or 2013 at the very latest these pigeons should be on the results from 500 miles and if not he will need to take a serious look at if it is in his best interest to carry on breading from these pigeons.

Its not the past that counts though its the now. My advice is forget him he's overpriced and go to someone who has good birds now and winning with them. Some people on here who sell good young birds are the likes of Jimmy Bambling. Bit cheaper than foster as well

O DEAR ITS SOME TIMES VERY HARD ON HERE ,HIS BIRDS ARE STILL WINNING NOW.

O DEAR ITS SOME TIMES VERY HARD ON HERE ,HIS BIRDS ARE STILL WINNING NOW.

DOES HE RACE HIMSELF THOUGH CHUM??????? AND WHERE DO HIS BIRDS WIN???????????

100 QUID A YOUNG BIRD IS VERY DEAR FOR PIGEONS THAT AREN'T RACED THEMSELVES.

well done warren
what a stupid thing to say,just more rubbish to bog down a new starter,and you lot say "well done"same old story,foster had entire clearance then bang on 3 years later(as all sellers do) he`s up and running,but adds grizzles as well as whites.

What chance a new starter got,same as on here,some joker who to scared to even let them out the lofts claims "quality" and even reacons they fly barcelona ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D how these people are allowed to advertise with comments like that. :-/ :X

well i must admit Asha you are consistant you dont post any thing to help any body  you dont seem to like any body in fact i would go so far to say you probally dont even like your self thats why your such a disrupted person with a very poor attatude  but  as they say what goes round comes round and i am sure you will get yours one day  have a nice day

cheers Alan

I believe the sport needs proffesionally able people to run the organisation side of things and regulate the whole issue, my son as you know breeds and sells but he sells very few and not commercially minded, if birds are not winning they are usually replaced free of charge and the feed back from buyers is important, especially to the guy who breeds them !!   my son does not duck any views on his own birds and always there to help. but some do think this is licence to insult and get personal. but asha mate this should be regulated no matter what.

happy days oh   :)

SORRY PAL SIMPLE DONT BY THEM :P BUT THERE STILL RACING ALL OVER THE WOULD AND WINNING :);):P

does it matter if he personally is racing or not, whiteknight pointed out, and i'm sure he can prove it, that the birds this chap sells are still winning, that should be good enough testimony?   not all studs race but sell race winners, its what they do.  Â£100 is only dear if you think it is, how many have paid £35 a bird dozens of times and got winners out of them?  usually there is a reason why there is a higher price tag and that's because the parents of the birds have been proven?  

does it matter if he personally is racing or not, whiteknight pointed out, and i'm sure he can prove it, that the birds this chap sells are still winning, that should be good enough testimony?   not all studs race but sell race winners, its what they do.  Â£100 is only dear if you think it is, how many have paid £35 a bird dozens of times and got winners out of them?  usually there is a reason why there is a higher price tag and that's because the parents of the birds have been proven?  

Personally I believe that birds have to be raced and tested. Fair enough Warren may have orginally had a lot of pigeons thats won themselves but he packed in years ago so most of them will be dead and your getting yb's out of pigeons bred off sons and daughters of them or even great grandchildren by now. Its a fact that even the best breeders will breed crap some of the time so if Warren isn't testing them they will get weaker over the course of time.

Don't get me wrong I haven't got a personal problem with the bloke and I think its great he's made time for a new starter and helped them with free birds and advice. But personally I think 100 quid a young bird is high especially for a man who has no RECENT results for himself to back it up.

A new starter if they do their homework can still find plenty of racing pigeon men who win and breed birds for winners and don't charge the earth for pigeons. An example is B&K Simpson of UNC fame are top flight pigeon men sell YB's out of their race team for 35 - 40 pounds. The lad on here asking about Warren could buy 2 - 3 young birds from them for the price of one of Warrens and they would be bred off birds that are winning now at club, fed and combine level. Their busschaerts are probably better than Warrens as its the North East England fanciers that moulded them into what they are today.

I don't oppose paying higher prices for YB's but they have to be out of birds that have won. I brought two YB's from Mike Lycett for 75.00 pounds each which is towards the top end of what I would pay normally. I raced both birds as young birds put one aside for stock and raced one as a yearling. Shes won a 3rd club and 8th fed so the pigeons were worth the money. I have had pigeons for £20.00's that have won fed chalks and that. John Sonderland charges around £100.00 a YB I think and I would certainly buy off him but he is a legend with his performances in the Up North Combine and still wins today and wins well!

Its all personal choice however I would advise a new starter like this lad to go to men who race and not pay daft money for pigeons. The sports expensive enough without wasteing his money.

I went to John McKeowns entire clearance and brought an 08 hen which had a 1st club and 5h fed for 60 quid. I wouldn't get a YB off Foster for that.

Winners breed winners mate its the shortest route to the top.

People making sweeping statements such as "but there still racing all over the world and winning'' aren't proof that the birds are proven to me.

The lad would be better off going to Louella and buying six to race for 130 quid only 30 quid more for double the number of birds but he's in exactly the same situation buying grandchildren etc that haven't been raced and fancy pedigrees.

Anyway lifes about choices I'm just trying to advise the lad to save money, I wish someone had advised me before I wasted money on the pigeons I wasted it on.

Myself and Asha are always arguing but he's talking a lot of sense on this thread.

Like I say fair play to Warren for helping the lad out though no matter what my views are on commercial studs. At least he's done the decent thing and helped a new starter out and maybe we should all take a leaf out of his book.

Paulo what you says has some merit but at least the new starter

has got a free pair to start with and kind of the breeder to give them free   also what you say about the bushys is partly true there where many fanciers from other areas who done really well with them

the birds you bought at Johns sale are the goods i have been friends with john for over 30years and if he was not terminally ill they would never be sold  rember one thing peds mean nothing to john and he was a very hard task master no matter what he paid for them if they did not win or breed birds to score very quickly there was only one place they went in the garden  winners to winners  they breed winners best of luck with them

cheers Alan