lice

Guest ljb107

I put 1 or 2 drops of noromectin (pour on for cattle) on the birds sometimes when they are on chicks and it doesn't affect them - they don't have mites or lice but its just a preventative.  It will also worm them.

Lloyd :)

Guest ljb107

Cool, but i don't have many raptors - only ever 1 peregrine about 1 year ago that took a bird.  Sparrows hawks fly over very high but don't bother.

Another 'non-toxic' one is garlic water spray, or garlic in bath water.

Usually stuff containing ivermectin for birds has a warning, not to be given during breeding or moulting season. It will end up in youngsters and it will damage new growing feathers.

Stuff about poisonous to raptors proved a load of tosh. Falconers use it on their own birds, so don't be misled into using this when safer and cheaper alternatives exist e.g anything containing permethrin.

Guest ljb107
Another 'non-toxic' one is garlic water spray, or garlic in bath water.

Usually stuff containing ivermectin for birds has a warning, not to be given during breeding or moulting season. It will end up in youngsters and it will damage new growing feathers.

Stuff about poisonous to raptors proved a load of tosh. Falconers use it on their own birds, so don't be misled into using this when safer and cheaper alternatives exist e.g anything containing permethrin.

I didn't know there was an ivormectin for birds.

I have been using noromectin pour on for cattle (just one or two drops on back of head) for about 5 years and have never had any problems.

I didn't know there was an ivormectin for birds.

I have been using noromectin pour on for cattle (just one or two drops on back of head) for about 5 years and have never had any problems.

Only in the last 2/3 years but there are many brands that contain it at the correct doseage for pigeons, and properly licensed for use under the Small Animals Medicines Exemptions scheme. Harkers was one of the first on the market with harka-mectin, but there are others.

Posted up on the 'do nots' some time ago:-

There have been discussions on ivermectin on here for years; it was always a case of do this, do that, never what you cannot do.

Firstly, from the harka-mectin leaflet, the correct dose is 0.35% weight / volume.

Secondly, the don'ts:-

do not use during the main moulting season

do not use during the hatching period

do not use on YBs under 8 weeks old

do not use on any other species other than those named on this leaflet. Serious reactions including deaths have been reported after application (of ivermectin) to dogs (especially Collies, Old English Sheepdogs and related breeds, tortoises and turtles

avoid contact with (your) skin, eyes and mouth

wash hands thoroughly with soap and water after applying this product

- and this is is the one we know is designed for pigeons.  :(

Your best bet is to ivomec all your birds on the back of the neck twice a year before you start breeding and then you can completely forget about lice,birds need to be 6 weeks old before you use ivomectin.