sparrow hawk

BLACK W F

We had our first training toss the other day (took them to Wilton windmill) and after such a long awaited start, unbelievably the hawk was waiting for us!!.

I firstly let the hens go and they slowly got their bearings and cleared, then i let the cocks go. The cocks were circling when i saw the hens racing back, damn i thought!! Then i spotted 2 lower than the others and these started heading towards the cocks, then as they crossed in front of me i realised this was one of the hens with a sparrowhawk on its tail, I couldn’t believe it, i just stood and watched. This poor little hen was shifting and headed right into the bunch of cocks just as the hawk struck...bang, puff of feathers and she fell out of the sky. At this split second the cocks obviously realised what was happening and burst like a firework, the hawk (must have like tunnel vision) spun in mid air and headed off after one of the cocks. It was like an excocet missile as i stood watching “feeling sickâ€, as my fella went right so did the hawk, he tippled downwards so did the hawk, upwards same effect ( you would have thought they was tied together). Unbelievably i stood shellshocked and watched this for nearly 2 minutes as my little dark cock headed out of view, the others had gone every direction imaginable some even heading off to the woods/trees.

Back at home, they were understandably split up and i was 6 adrift including my good dark cock who got 5th, 7th and 11th section positions from four National events last season, i couldn’t believe it...... Luckily he returned early evening, jumpy and missing some tail feathers, phew!!. At the end of the day we were 5 missing, two returned early next day with broken wing flights and tails, another late afternoon with a damaged wing and another 3 days later who cant even fly upto its nestbox now.

Guest wattle
We had our first training toss the other day (took them to Wilton windmill) and after such a long awaited start, unbelievably the hawk was waiting for us!!.

I firstly let the hens go and they slowly got their bearings and cleared, then i let the cocks go. The cocks were circling when i saw the hens racing back, damn i thought!! Then i spotted 2 lower than the others and these started heading towards the cocks, then as they crossed in front of me i realised this was one of the hens with a sparrowhawk on its tail, I couldn’t believe it, i just stood and watched. This poor little hen was shifting and headed right into the bunch of cocks just as the hawk struck...bang, puff of feathers and she fell out of the sky. At this split second the cocks obviously realised what was happening and burst like a firework, the hawk (must have like tunnel vision) spun in mid air and headed off after one of the cocks. It was like an excocet missile as i stood watching “feeling sickâ€, as my fella went right so did the hawk, he tippled downwards so did the hawk, upwards same effect ( you would have thought they was tied together). Unbelievably i stood shellshocked and watched this for nearly 2 minutes as my little dark cock headed out of view, the others had gone every direction imaginable some even heading off to the woods/trees.

Back at home, they were understandably split up and i was 6 adrift including my good dark cock who got 5th, 7th and 11th section positions from four National events last season, i couldn’t believe it...... Luckily he returned early evening, jumpy and missing some tail feathers, phew!!. At the end of the day we were 5 missing, two returned early next day with broken wing flights and tails, another late afternoon with a damaged wing and another 3 days later who cant even fly upto its nestbox now.

was it a hawk or peregrine. and did the hen that fell out off the sky servive.