Throat Theory

Wiley

Thanks mate,yea i saw it discussed on Best Of British series lol im just looking for some help lol cos i dont know if im looking at the right part of the throat,i look right at the back and see like two pieces of skin with a slit down the middle,is this the right part im looking at??

;D  ive only seen a video about 12 months back where Frank explains . picture the 2 flaps of skin as a pair of curtains and from what i understand the more closely drawn the curtains the better . remember im no expert , i had difficulty trying to see in but my eyesight isnt good !   BEST WISHES  andy                8)

Ive seen a video on it and the line between the two slits has to be perfectly straight apperently, any twist in the line and its supposed to mean the birds had some kind of problem at some point in its life!!!

Yes, thats what I have read too, if it's not straight there is swelling on one side or the other. And if the fringe across the bottom is not present there has also likely been canker that destroyed it at some point. Thats very interesting Wiley, guess if there not in GOOD health then the babies won't be as good.

I am grading eyes this year with a rateing of up to 100% and either yellow or white, the way Barkel describes, and pairing according to what he says is best. It's worth a try, although I have a pair of breeders that produced 3 rounds last year, all flying above average and one becoming bird of the year and they were two pearl eyes paired together.  :-/ But he says doing it his way your suppose to increase your # of above average birds. Instead of some good ones and some gone ones you have more GOOD ones. We'll see... :D

Carol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest bristolkev

its explained in depth on a dvd called secrets of champions by the excellent jim jenner.full of top fanciers talking about the throat theory and other secrets. ;)

Honestly don't know ... never heard of throat theory.

One thing that does spring to mind is that the only time you or a doctor looks at your throat is when there is something wrong with you. And only time I've had to look at a pigeon's throat was when there was something wrong with it ... bird's eyes blinded by green gunge, and the throat, curtain etc caked with blood ... after the bird collided with a tree (either run by a hawk, or hitting / avoiding HT cables).

Although Taskers viewpoint on the "CURTAIN"    is not certain, it still amazes me  how many suckers are STILL in his grasp  and take what he preaches  as read.

C'mon you guys he is only talking about damaged throat tissue which 90% of pigeons will incur (slightly) in their earlier years of life. Vic.

I do think brain theroy is bunkum, you are breeding for physical characteristics and aptitude to home. Somehow I don't think the majority of premiership footballers or Frank Bruno for example would get any where in the academic world on the basis of their intellect, however they have the physical characteristics and aptitude for their chosen sport. Reverse it and think of the guys at school that passed 3 A levels with A grades and went on to Oxford or Cambridge, they weren't gifted at sport ??

There are exceptions I agree and it would be good to have brain as well as the physical and aptitude, Seb Coe was one and Stuart Barnes the Sky rugby pundit who played for Croesyceiliog school and the Welsh schools and then Newport and then Bath and then England and then the Lions is another. In the Newport dressing room before he went to Oxbridge he used to be called 'God'!!

Take your point Albear, but surely these sportsmen wouldn't get anywhere near the top of their game without e.g Kenny Dalgliesh's mental ability to read the game while it was in full flow, and although Frank Bruno maybe appeared pretty dumb oustide the ring, inside it he had the mental ability needed to work out winning strategy & tactics.

And surely a pigeon can't be a top racer if it doesn't have the mental ability to work out the quickest & best way home.

Take your point Albear, but surely these sportsmen wouldn't get anywhere near the top of their game without e.g Kenny Dalgliesh's mental ability to read the game while it was in full flow, and although Frank Bruno maybe appeared pretty dumb oustide the ring, inside it he had the mental ability needed to work out winning strategy & tactics.

And surely a pigeon can't be a top racer if it doesn't have the mental ability to work out the quickest & best way home.

Nah don't believe that for one moment. Golly he boxed by numbers and even when repeatedly told he was being intervied by ITA and that Harry didn't work on their channel he repeatedly asked 'Where's Harry' lol.

Instinct and processing an ability to home that we, and probably more than likely the birds themselves know next to nowt about. Seems that if fit, have a basic contentment to be In their loft, then that's their part done. A good bird needs looking after, and can improve somewhat, same as an exceptional good bird. So it follows that if Both are brought as far as they can be in  condition, and wanting to home, the Better bird will still suffice.

Guest slugmonkey

I also look at a birds health in the throat and use it to judge condition for racing I have never heard of it being used to select breeders though

I think it most useful when buying young for auction races

As stated the narrower the slit the better I never buy a bird with a wide open slit or one with any discoloration or waves if you look for fret marks on wings you will usally notice a bad throat as well again I don't base my whole program on any 1 sign but merely use all that I know to see overall picture

I also had not heard of the fringe being a sign of canker but I had heard that having the fringe was an important part of looking at the throat and this would make sense to me

• 3 months later...