darkness systam

mark proctor

Guest TAMMY_1
hi when do you lot start darkning your y birds of and when do you take them of the darkness systam ? some fanciers dont darken until the end of march ? whats your opinions on it lads? thanks mark..... :o :o :o :o :o

have never tried it , think it is going against nature, but a lot do use it but afraid it is not for me

Guest cloudview

dark ness is fine  if you want to send  to latter  races  usually channel events , round here any way  , iwould  put the hens on it  , and go steady with them as yearlings , as most  young bird races  are won with  them

Guest cloudview
what time of the day would you darken the loft and what time would you open them up the next day also does it make a difference if you do it a bit later than normal sometimes or has it got to be at a set time

it does really matter that much  , try keeping to astrict routine can be  a pain in the backside  ,   ifound   that as long as you keep them on dark  above twelve hours  ,they will take no harm   mine go it  18..45  pm  untill  0730  .  thats the time i go to work .   mind you i did forget once or twice

Guest chrisss

this will be my first year of racing and if [a big if at the moment]i get enough ybs together the darkness system must be the way to go i have been told that from march 21st to the end of june will do it and for me open them up at 0900 and close them down at 17.00

• 1 month later...

didnt fly darkness last year,my youngsters still won a few races but for over 150mls they do need to be on it,over that the darkness birds dominate results,really if you want to win young bird races over that then i feel you must fly on the darkness.i enjoyed racing last year without the darkness.

Guest chrisss

this is my first time racing, i am trying the darkness system out for the first time ,one thing i have noticed already [this is day 3 on it] is when i turn back the curtains they dive straight out in to the trap into the light is that normal

Guest Paulo
didnt fly darkness last year,my youngsters still won a few races but for over 150mls they do need to be on it,over that the darkness birds dominate results,really if you want to win young bird races over that then i feel you must fly on the darkness.i enjoyed racing last year without the darkness.

I agree I raced natural as it was my first season and got 4th in one race and was on the clock for most of the others in race time but come the longer races I was 10 minutes behind every week. So this year got half on dark and half on natural.

As per Kevin Hurst's book "East to West.'' hours of darkness are 8 hours