Gem GPS

Speckled Jim

Anyone tried this GPS system out yet, or know of anyone who has got it?

im very intersted in this piece of kit but at £125 im a bit up and down on the idear as if the bird you got it on gets lost or taken down by hawk you throwing 125 pounds down the pan a few videos

all the best.

Im going to order the one from ebay so ill let you know how it goes , from what i can gather there both the same just different prices. ;)

I would love to see the route the birds take coming to me through the mountains etc. Just a bit to much money to lose. Im sure they will get cheaper right enough. Also think every 3 minutes would be fine, would give a good indication over the longer distances.

Al.

The Gem GPS records every single second, not 3.

Whilst the 3 minute one is similar, but as the other poster said, the bird covers a whole lot of ground in that 3 minutes and this will be missed.

Also the GEM GPS has software that is totally different to the 3 minute job and Brian's allows a vast number of different Google Earth display options.  Plus he has a help phone number if needed and it comes with a detailed instruction booklet that covers everything from installing to running it.

Brian's films are here: (allow time to download)

http://www.gemsupplements.com/gps/gpsfilm01.wmv

http://www.gemsupplements.com/gps/gpsfilm02.wmv

Hello All

Yes. Actually the device hardware is made in Taiwan by a company called Sanav. The real name is ML-7 (for every second log) and ML7-S ( for 3 minute logs) . Both GEM and PATHFINDER take these devices, add thier own software and harness and sell it on. I sell the bare 3-minute devices for £55 on ebay. It comes with standard software (not the fancy stuff) but you do get google map tracks with the standard software in a basic way. For a small charge of £20 I can change the device to any time interval from 1 minute to 5 minutes and more (but who would want more?) . Plus I can also convert this to a fully waterproof version with magnetic switch and epoxy potting for another £50. I am now investigating on making them solar rechargable for longer life (using the best solar cell available commercially) This will decrease the logger weight by another 3-4 grams because then we can use a smaller battery.

How important is GPS for pigeon racing?

• 1 month later...