Baytril

greenlands

absolute crap rab and you know it .

Stuart i done away with plenty when they dont look right and yes felt gutted doing  some. but no messing about nowadays  to much lurggie about now m8 :)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest frank dooman

sorry m8 with results like he has there i would say he has pigeon health well under control.

and to say results dont mean a thing , well i would say unhealthy birds wont have them results .    OMO      .    your doning well walter considering you dont no how to keep them healthy..

got to slightly dissagree with you there robert luck is a great thing you wont know you have it till its too late no matter how good you are at keeping doo,s if it gets into the raceing baskets no one will miss it not even nat winners

Stuart i done away with plenty when they dont look right and yes felt gutted doing  some. but no messing about nowadays  to much lurggie about now m8 :)

im not talkin about your run of the mill doo here ,im talkin about a top breeding pigeon and i mean TOP BREEDER or for that matter  TOP RACER

don't worry greenlands where did ib get his original post?

he copied it from another website ;D ;D

Yes Frank. My point was that I made it more than clear where it came from ~ and why I posted it. It was information new to this forum that called into question the science behind a 'preventative' treatment that is still being pushed on this forum to this day.

I would like to say one thing more on this subject and thats to say to walter that i was out of order saying he shouldnt be allowed to keep pigeons. the reason for getting involved in this thread was not to have a slanging match with a fellow fancier but to pass on my experience on pigeon health that i have. Along with genetics its a part of the sport that really interests me. Where most fanciers are look at methods to win or in the next supplement for me its pigeon health, and genetics, my book shelves contain most of the best book on pigeon health and im fortunate enough to know some top pigeon vets and im able to have these debate with the experts. All i want to do is pass on some of this knowledge to others that ask the questions.

again apologies to walter for taking out of context.

Jas.

Hi IB,

I appologise if you think I stole your post,I copied this sometime ago so I could refer back to it for my own use.After Reading various fanciers were using Baytril prior to treating for paratyphoid,I though I would bring this post to light with regards to paragraph two.

Lindsay

Had another look at my reaction which was well OTT. Felt as if I'd been hitting my head off a brick wall on that thread, then seeing info going up as 'new' (not just by yourself) gasket blown.  :) Sorry for that one.

HOTROD WOULD YOU BELIEVE ME IF I TOLD YOU I PUT1ST OPEN WINNER 5 0 CLOCK ROCK DOWN WITH A DROOPING WING I TOOK A VIDEO OF HER THE DAY BEFORE I TOOK HER TO THE VET I AM NOT PROUD OF THIS BUT I DONT WANT TO SEE A BIRD SUFFER THIS VIDEO IS HERE I WAS JUST TELLING JIM DONALDSON THE LAST TIME HE WAS THROUGH SO MAKE UP YOUR OWN MIND IF I CAN PUT HER TO SLEEP IVE NO HESITATION YOU CAN SEE THE VIDEO IF YOU WANT

All i asked was what to give the birds after treatment? lol by the way guys i aint a racing man but tipplers but come on this site to gain knowledge from whats around the racing world - and glad i am on here as its very informative

yeah thats what its all about, sharing advice and gaining friends.

jas.

I would like to say one thing more on this subject and thats to say to walter that i was out of order saying he shouldnt be allowed to keep pigeons. the reason for getting involved in this thread was not to have a slanging match with a fellow fancier but to pass on my experience on pigeon health that i have. Along with genetics its a part of the sport that really interests me. Where most fanciers are look at methods to win or in the next supplement for me its pigeon health, and genetics, my book shelves contain most of the best book on pigeon health and im fortunate enough to know some top pigeon vets and im able to have these debate with the experts. All i want to do is pass on some of this knowledge to others that ask the questions.

again apologies to walter for taking out of context.

Jas.NO HARD FEELINGS AND NOT SHOUTING SHORT SIGHTED  ;D ;D

HOTROD WOULD YOU BELIEVE ME IF I TOLD YOU I PUT1ST OPEN WINNER 5 0 CLOCK ROCK DOWN WITH A DROOPING WING I TOOK A VIDEO OF HER THE DAY BEFORE I TOOK HER TO THE VET I AM NOT PROUD OF THIS BUT I DONT WANT TO SEE A BIRD SUFFER THIS VIDEO IS HERE I WAS JUST TELLING JIM DONALDSON THE LAST TIME HE WAS THROUGH SO MAKE UP YOUR OWN MIND IF I CAN PUT HER TO SLEEP IVE NO HESITATION YOU CAN SEE THE VIDEO IF YOU WANT

i believe you walter but what age was she ? ive put some great doo's down as well but i would not hesitate to try too save it first,   a very good friend and ex member of my last club  a guy called albert oribine ,top top doo man won ist fed year in year out 1st combines as well had a hen that bred 20/30 top pigeons, every year(winter) this hen took no well and he had to treat her and the following year she bred more winners this happened for years and her young were all A1  and had never went ill .STRANGE BUT TRUE .

Just to pull things back on track slightly heres some questions and answers asked to some of the top pigeon vets in the world on salmonella.

After vaccinating for paramyxovirus and salmonella, my pigeons are getting sick. What is my problem?

I hope you can help me with my problem.........

I vaccinated my pigeons on November 25-08, for Paramyxovirus 1 and Salmonella Typhimurium Bacterin and thats when all my problems started, now it`s December 9-08. When I was vaccinating the pigeons, as I was putting the birds back in the loft and I found a 2000 male pigeon DEAD in the basket, I just thought that I might`ve hit a nerve, now a couple of day`s later I found about 4 hens and a male that could not fly up to the lower perches, the strange thing is that 2 of the hens a 98 and a 99 are both sisters of the 2000 male, now the 08 male is a son of the 98 hen and the 07 and the 08 are grand daughters of the 98 hen so I though that it was something to do with the bloodline. Now a couple of day`s later I started noticing some watering droppings green and yellow, I thought that they had PARATYPHOID ( SALMONELLA ) infection, so I started treating with ENROFLOXYN on December 4-08, now it`s December 9-08 and althought I have seen some improvemente there is not a major improvemente, as the 98 and 99 hen have lost a lot of weight and the 99 hen was eating very little as of today, and the droppings in most of the sections have gotten a lot worst. The pigeons have no lumps on the wings or the legs as I handle them all and the research that I did on the internet at the ALBERTA CLASSIC web-site mention that if it is PARATYPHOID that there should be some lumps on the wings or legs. Also I came up with the conclusion that it might be STREPTOCOCUS gallolyticus as per the research that I did it sounds that the symptoms that my pigeons have are more simular to the ones discribed on the articule that I read of the STREPTOCOCUS. Thank you very much, any information that you can share with me as to my problem would be much appreciated as I am very frustraded and I feel if I don`t resolve this problem soon I am risking losing these OLD pigeons that are very VALUABLE to me.

question by: Paul Tavares

answer by: Johan Van der Cruyssen

Before you vaccinate against Salmonella you must be sure there is no Salmonella on your loft.You can give a blind cure against Salmonella before the vaccination. Better is to send the droppings (gathered during 5 days) to a laboratory. They will do a bacterial culture .If this test is negative you may vaccinate.When you have carriers on your loft and you vaccinate against Salmonella you can have some serious vaccination reactions.I don’t advise to give paramyxovaccination and paratyphusvaccination at the same time. Pigeons with Salmonella don’t always have lumps on the wings or legs. Symptoms of streptococcosis in pigeons are often quite similar to the symptoms of paratyphus.The best you can do is to contact a pigeon veterinarian. He can check if your pigeons are affected with streptococcosis. Streptococci bacteria are not sensible for enrofloxacin. Amoxicillin or ampicillin are first choice for treating this disease. Ask your veterinarian to check also for worms. They also can be responsible for loosing weight and for problems with the droppings.

What is the preferred vaccine for paratyphus? Dead or live vaccine?

Would you please advise me what would your preffered vaccine be for paratyphoid: live vaccine or dead vaccine. When using dead vaccine do the birds have to be injected 2 times?

question by: Dave Hawkins

answer by: Wim Boddaert

Concerning the vaccination of paratyfus you can use 2 types of vaccins : - dead vaccin : f.e. Colombovac Paratyfus and here you have to vaccinate the first times 2 x with 3 weeks between the 2 injections. - live vaccin : f.e. Zoosal T ( from Germany ) and here you have to vaccinate only 1 x For both of the vaccination I prefer to give them first a treatment with an antibiotic for 10 days and then afterwards give them the vaccination. Both types are ( when they are correct used ) working good.

How long does the vaccine for paratyphus/salmonella last?

How long does the vaccine for paratyphus/salmonella last ,I normally use Parastop/parakil for 14 days in the water,is there any side effects from the vaccine.My son uses it on poultry but they have a short life.

question by: KP Clarkson

answer by: Dr Ruben Lanckriet

Dear Sir,

The paratyphus vaccine registrated here in Belgium (colombovac Paratyphus) lasts for 6 months. An autovaccine (vaccine made of salmonella isolated on the loft itself by the laboratories of Ghent University) lasts for one year. In both cases it is advisable to do two inoculations the first time the birds are vaccinated. This means one first inoculation (primer) and a booster one month later. The primer should be a dead vaccine (f.e. colombovac paratyphus).

Kind regards

jas

i believe you walter but what age was she ? ive put some great doo's down as well but i would not hesitate to try too save it first,   a very good friend and ex member of my last club  a guy called albert oribine ,top top doo man won ist fed year in year out 1st combines as well had a hen that bred 20/30 top pigeons, every year(winter) this hen took no well and he had to treat her and the following year she bred more winners this happened for years and her young were all A1  and had never went ill .STRANGE BUT TRUE .

HOTROD SHE WAS 12 YEARS OLD BUT WAS PLAYING WITH ME BUT SHE KEPT PICKING HER WING IT MUST HAVE BEEN IRITATING HER

HOTROD SHE WAS 12 YEARS OLD BUT WAS PLAYING WITH ME BUT SHE KEPT PICKING HER WING IT MUST HAVE BEEN IRITATING HER

how do you know that she didnt just bang it in the loft easy to do . sad to hear this honestly  walter ,i hate to hear of top birds going to the big loft oin the sky.

yeah i know the dilemma you went through. I had a widowhood cock back in 1993 that was winning extremely well had a few 1st,2nd and 3rd in club we entered him into the north road newton grange open. he took 1st club, 1st fed, 1st open, 1st combine, in absolutely terrible conditions it had been raining all day. the race was a 300 mile race and what i remember there were very few birds home on the day. he was streets ahead of the 2nd place bird, the following week he again one 1st club and we made the decision to stop him and put him to stock. 2 weeks later he developed a lump in his throat. my first reaction was to get him seen by the vet. it was a growth and needed to be removed. I took the decision to have him operated on to remove the lump and he died on the operating table. What i should have done is got a shedfull out of him first, so we all make decisions that we are not comfortable with.

Just to pull things back on track slightly heres some questions and answers asked to some of the top pigeon vets in the world on salmonella.

After vaccinating for paramyxovirus and salmonella, my pigeons are getting sick. What is my problem?

I hope you can help me with my problem.........

I vaccinated my pigeons on November 25-08, for Paramyxovirus 1 and Salmonella Typhimurium Bacterin and thats when all my problems started, now it`s December 9-08. When I was vaccinating the pigeons, as I was putting the birds back in the loft and I found a 2000 male pigeon DEAD in the basket, I just thought that I might`ve hit a nerve, now a couple of day`s later I found about 4 hens and a male that could not fly up to the lower perches, the strange thing is that 2 of the hens a 98 and a 99 are both sisters of the 2000 male, now the 08 male is a son of the 98 hen and the 07 and the 08 are grand daughters of the 98 hen so I though that it was something to do with the bloodline. Now a couple of day`s later I started noticing some watering droppings green and yellow, I thought that they had PARATYPHOID ( SALMONELLA ) infection, so I started treating with ENROFLOXYN on December 4-08, now it`s December 9-08 and althought I have seen some improvemente there is not a major improvemente, as the 98 and 99 hen have lost a lot of weight and the 99 hen was eating very little as of today, and the droppings in most of the sections have gotten a lot worst. The pigeons have no lumps on the wings or the legs as I handle them all and the research that I did on the internet at the ALBERTA CLASSIC web-site mention that if it is PARATYPHOID that there should be some lumps on the wings or legs. Also I came up with the conclusion that it might be STREPTOCOCUS gallolyticus as per the research that I did it sounds that the symptoms that my pigeons have are more simular to the ones discribed on the articule that I read of the STREPTOCOCUS. Thank you very much, any information that you can share with me as to my problem would be much appreciated as I am very frustraded and I feel if I don`t resolve this problem soon I am risking losing these OLD pigeons that are very VALUABLE to me.

question by: Paul Tavares

answer by: Johan Van der Cruyssen

Before you vaccinate against Salmonella you must be sure there is no Salmonella on your loft.You can give a blind cure against Salmonella before the vaccination. Better is to send the droppings (gathered during 5 days) to a laboratory. They will do a bacterial culture .If this test is negative you may vaccinate.When you have carriers on your loft and you vaccinate against Salmonella you can have some serious vaccination reactions.I don’t advise to give paramyxovaccination and paratyphusvaccination at the same time. Pigeons with Salmonella don’t always have lumps on the wings or legs. Symptoms of streptococcosis in pigeons are often quite similar to the symptoms of paratyphus.The best you can do is to contact a pigeon veterinarian. He can check if your pigeons are affected with streptococcosis. Streptococci bacteria are not sensible for enrofloxacin. Amoxicillin or ampicillin are first choice for treating this disease. Ask your veterinarian to check also for worms. They also can be responsible for loosing weight and for problems with the droppings.

What is the preferred vaccine for paratyphus? Dead or live vaccine?

Would you please advise me what would your preffered vaccine be for paratyphoid: live vaccine or dead vaccine. When using dead vaccine do the birds have to be injected 2 times?

question by: Dave Hawkins

answer by: Wim Boddaert

Concerning the vaccination of paratyfus you can use 2 types of vaccins : - dead vaccin : f.e. Colombovac Paratyfus and here you have to vaccinate the first times 2 x with 3 weeks between the 2 injections. - live vaccin : f.e. Zoosal T ( from Germany ) and here you have to vaccinate only 1 x For both of the vaccination I prefer to give them first a treatment with an antibiotic for 10 days and then afterwards give them the vaccination. Both types are ( when they are correct used ) working good.

How long does the vaccine for paratyphus/salmonella last?

How long does the vaccine for paratyphus/salmonella last ,I normally use Parastop/parakil for 14 days in the water,is there any side effects from the vaccine.My son uses it on poultry but they have a short life.

question by: KP Clarkson

answer by: Dr Ruben Lanckriet

Dear Sir,

The paratyphus vaccine registrated here in Belgium (colombovac Paratyphus) lasts for 6 months. An autovaccine (vaccine made of salmonella isolated on the loft itself by the laboratories of Ghent University) lasts for one year. In both cases it is advisable to do two inoculations the first time the birds are vaccinated. This means one first inoculation (primer) and a booster one month later. The primer should be a dead vaccine (f.e. colombovac paratyphus).

Kind regards

jas

You need to balance that out with what is said on this thread:-

http://forum.pigeonbasics.com/m-1263147174/