microscope images

sox

whats the book called and were did you get it ?  thanks  :)

Hi Mark,the only book i've been able to find with pigeon related slides in is: Dr Colin Walkers,The flying vets pigeon health and management. It isn't brilliant but the book itself is worth the money.

Lindsay

Guest Greig the doo Drysdale

Hi Mark,the only book i've been able to find with pigeon related slides in is: Dr Colin Walkers,The flying vets pigeon health and management. It isn't brilliant but the book itself is worth the money.

Lindsay

think I might have that book I will check through the week give me a pm to see if your interested

does anyone know if there is a book or video on microscope images for pigeon diseases and where to buy them thanks

Hi mate.

I have been using a microscope now for a couple of years and have had the pleasure of studying with one of the top pigeon vets in the uk.

below are some images i have taken from my microscope over the years, hopefully these will try and give you an idea of what you are looking at.

There are 2 ways to examine dropping samples under a microscope:

1st is the smear method, by smearing the sample on to the slide and adding a small amount of water to it then add the cover slip, this method is more difficult to read for a beginner as you will have all the waste food and proteins etc to look through.

2nd and my preferred method is to float the sample in a heavy salt solution for 20 minutes, this cause the debris to fall to the bottom and the eggs rise to the top.

These samples are 100x magnification ( 10x objective lens with a 10x eye piece) but you are seeing an image in the photos of more like 300x as i have a video camera attached to the lens of the microscope and the lens of the camcorder is also magnifying the image.

I am in the process of making an instructional dvd on microscope use which will explain in detail how to use a microscope, When it is finished i will put it up for sale on this site.

hope this helps.

Jas.

brillent bit of info bud ive had my birds dropping checked all came back clear think its somethink we need to do as your bird might look in brillent shape but we never no whats going on with things we cant see.

all the best.

brillent bit of info bud ive had my birds dropping checked all came back clear think its somethink we need to do as your bird might look in brillent shape but we never no whats going on with things we cant see.

all the best.

No worries mate im glad its useful, more people should be using a microscope.

A lot cheaper than 'Flying Vet' book (£40):-

'Under the Microscope' by Dr Danny Brown (vet) ISBN 0957702485  - £10/15?

David Parsons (vet) has also made the notes and handouts from his Microscope course available, - £10?

• 2 weeks later...