bad feather loss

just got home from hols to find a west of england balk on one side of the chest and part of the head, totally! like just skin, part from that looks healthy good wieght, she lays well, gut reaction is stress from a different person feeding?

let me know what you thing guys this is a new one for me  :)

just got home from hols to find a west of england balk on one side of the chest and part of the head, totally! like just skin, part from that looks healthy good wieght, she lays well, gut reaction is stress from a different person feeding?

let me know what you thing guys this is a new one for me  :)

OK OK , im gonna blame this on the jet lag, when i got home, (after a night flight) i obviously didnt inspect her well enough, cause when i went round to pay and thank my nieghbour for looking after the birds, she said, what do you think to the bald one, i said well it seems it could be mites, she laughed and said you didnt see my note then??

apparently they let them out for a fly and the weekend and a sparrowhawk took her landed in the field and started to pluck her, she saw it and ran out to chase it off, if tried to fly away with the bird, but dropped her again, after a few seconds they thought she was dead she got up and flew straight back to the loft!!  :o   :o

i couldnt belive it, sooooo ive been out for a closer inspection of my poor baby who must have been thoroughly terrified, and she had a wet scabby cut to her wing but other wise seems ok (apart from being bald! in patches)

should i give her some antibiotic to be on the safe side?? or leave it to heal on its own ??

thanks anyway guys    ::)

'Wet scabby cut' worries me, Sam. Wondered how old the wound is?

Have always made a point of cleaning wounds as soon as the bird got home. That includes gently breaking scabbed-over wounds by dabbing with cotton ball soaked in antiseptic and dipped in warm water, and washing the wound out with warm water, (unless its really deep when I just fill it up with antiseptic.) Then I pour neat antiseptic over the wound and seal it with a healing paste, leave nature to do the rest.

Antiseptic yes, antibiotic, I'd say no.

dont think i would put salt near an open wound ?

myself the same salt would have thought would have irritated the wound and was used years ago as a preservative. But he is right with honey the powers of honey is marvellous and over last few years has been used in band aids

good old fashioned savlon sam ;) ;) will heal in no time, got antiseptic in it also  :D

works on my hawk casualties :-/ ;)

thanks for all the advice, i actually cleaned it up with savlon diluted in cooled boiled water, then a little neat, then i put a little savlon on, savlon does seem to be my answer to all medical problems lol

re: salt is a real healer.........ever had a cut and swam in the sea....cleans infections

I agree with you, but I think what you were actually talking about in your original post was a weak saline solution to wash and clean the wound, and not  as it may have appeared to others who responded to your post, sprinkling salt straight into an open wound.

I'd be interested to know tho, how do you use honey?  and if possible, if you would provide references to its healing powers. Again, sounds like you are saying put honey into an open wound, so it would help if you explained it a little more..

Thankfully never been involved in stitching; razorwire???  are your neighbours an industrial estate? Thought razorwire was illegal for use in a domestic setting.

Point about wounds is that they are a gaping hole in the bird's immune system and a way in for infection. Think its safer to wash them out and seal the break, then leave nature to get on with it.