COST OF TRANSPORTING SALE PIGEONS

Guest youngzimmy

Guest mick bowler

Half trouble is fanciers were spoilt with Amtrak, and interlink before that. The cost was never really indicative of the work required, for Amtrak it was a case of generating extra revenue for vans already going depot to depot. I know a few Amtrak offices were Franchised and i know the one i used to deal with hated collecting and delivering birds and at one time refused to accept them, but Amtrak came down quite hard on them. When you consider in nearly 20 odd years the price has gone up 100% it seems a lot. But how much have wages, fuel, insurance and general tranport costs gone up in that time?

Also see a post above about making a living, in my experience a lot of people expect to make a living then try to deny others a living. As a bonafide tradesman i have always appreciated that what you pay for is usually what you get.

This thread has run its course IMO. either pay the money or jump in your car. I always been of the opinion if the bird not worth whatever it costs to send for it then it should not be in the basket, and if it means i have to pay more carriage than i used to when buying birds then it just means i buy less birds!!

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just stating flyincouriers@yahoo.com that one of the gripes was it would BE better if the courier was a Pigeon fancier, not that it was. Now many are still griping, even though some couriers ARE pigeon fanciers. Of course I take on board that a courier regardless whether a fancier or not. is more than capable of looking after and caring for the birds.

No two ways about that.

what all you couriers should just do is from jan2010 until april 2010 take a sicky go on holiday

retire and let them all go fetch there birds themselves,  That would be end of moaning,

30 to 40 quid only dumb and dumber would argue about that. get real.

Guest bigda

only a numb nut would want to courier  birds,  and not bother about  there needs as defra would not allow them  a license to  deal with  livestock   :-/ :-/ and to use  some flyby night character, is beyond belief arrange in advance if you can with  a company who do the job

with out  the  bragging  2 weeks notice will get your bird to or from its home to home ;)

I was just stating flyincouriers@yahoo.com that one of the gripes was it would BE better if the courier was a Pigeon fancier, not that it was. Now many are still griping, even though some couriers ARE pigeon fanciers. Of course I take on board that a courier regardless whether a fancier or not. is more than capable of looking after and caring for the birds.

No two ways about that.

I never meant what i said in any funny way or to upset anyone what i was trying to say is in my opinion to courier any item you need to have transport knowledge and to know how to operate some sort of transporting network otherwise you will end up in trouble. Like i have said before its not easy looking after birds especially pigeons as if one escapes there is no way of catching it.

only a numb nut would want to courier  birds,  and not bother about  there needs as defra would not allow them  a license to  deal with  livestock   :-/ :-/ and to use  some flyby night character, is beyond belief arrange in advance if you can with  a company who do the job

with out  the  bragging  2 weeks notice will get your bird to or from its home to home ;)

Your right Bigda but for alot of people 2 weeks is too long they want it done yesturday with some people mate.

Guest bigda

Your right Bigda but for alot of people 2 weeks is too long they want it done yesturday with some people mate.

yes thats where they have to  pay attention, if getting birds  pre-arrange with  the courier  of there choice, he would be able to  work around there schedule  better, and have a holding loft available or penned sections,   and should he chose that courier  then they know the  drill bird could and would be  held  for 3-5 days  if needed and as Chris  said and  it might make sense using a  bike rider for long hall

as traffic jams rarely effect them,  so time is  of the essence

for  both party's :o

yes thats where they have to  pay attention, if getting birds  pre-arrange with  the courier  of there choice, he would be able to  work around there schedule  better, and have a holding loft available or penned sections,   and should he chose that courier  then they know the  drill bird could and would be  held  for 3-5 days  if needed and as Chris  said and  it might make sense using a  bike rider for long hall

as traffic jams rarely effect them,  so time is  of the essence

for  both party's :o

I never thought of using a bike you never see them stuck in traffic do you  ;D ;D but how would you carry them and surely you wouldnt be able to carry many boxes ? Thats a good idea though i wouldnt do it myself as ive never bin on a bike i dont really like them but if you knew someone who enjoyed riding them especially long journeys your laughing mate. On the holding issue not alot of fanciers like the idea as we looked into it mate but again thats where if you are a fancier yourself comes into it as then you know what your doing when it comes to handling the birds and feeding them etc etc.

if the birds not worth the cost of repatriation why bother breeding or racing it?????..........
unfortunatly ganster you only find that out when it needs repatriated dont we,

i think to be a courier u have to be a little mad no disrespect meant in all fairness if the bird is not worth the £30 or so to get him delivered well why breed him or buy him in the first place im not saying all the best birds are big money but think of the cost of feeding medication cost of petrol to train get to the club the list goes on and on and on as we all know surely if u are going to spend all this the bird  is surely  worth the fee to be delivered  why take hours out of your day petrol money when these guys and girls (cant forget the girls ;D) will do it for noting

i take my hats off to ya

i know times are tough in all but lets be fair

i know for young fanicers the fee may be hard to get but can the couriers do it any cheaper i think not

i put this post on earlier gangster surely if your buying a bird or been lost its worth the few bob

I never thought of using a bike you never see them stuck in traffic do you  ;D ;D but how would you carry them and surely you wouldnt be able to carry many boxes ? Thats a good idea though i wouldnt do it myself as ive never bin on a bike i dont really like them but if you knew someone who enjoyed riding them especially long journeys your laughing mate. On the holding issue not alot of fanciers like the idea as we looked into it mate but again thats where if you are a fancier yourself comes into it as then you know what your doing when it comes to handling the birds and feeding them etc etc.

Wasa time when baskets were put on Bikes. like the Butchers Bike front and rack at back .... used to take my dad's birds like that. An ole fella, great charactor did same tll recently when turning 70.

As for Moter Bikes, Gary and such still do.... but doubt it would be cost efective regards as a Courier.

Flyingcourier. no prob, was thinking along same lines a you... we just word it diferently lol :P ;D

Guest numpty01

wayne as to bikes being cost effective of coarse they are nothing gives you the milage per gallon like moterbike ?? anyone that has owned one will tell you that? now as to carrying birds on bike no problem a system can be made cheaple to bolt on a bike to carry 12 birds without effort or 16 at a push. and deliverd twice as fast as normal couier can do it even to scotland from here ;D ;D ;D

Guest numpty01
HI numpty01 HAVE YOU GOT A GAS OVEN IF YAE AINT BUY ONE AND STICK YER BLETHERIN HEID IN IT LIT OR NO  WILL DAE FIR ME
sorry mate only got oil but will keep youer thoughts in my book for future referance  ;D ;D ;Djust in case you forget

• 2 weeks later...

Flyingcourers09 you are 100 % right in the link up working, less miles on the road means less derv so you do get a life as well.

All it takes is forming a co-op of drivers offer a co-op membership to all pigeon fanciers @£30 a head, what this does is pay the derv for every day of meeting guys who have there own patch. This is like how Amtrak started each depot having its own post coded area and never straying into anothers area of operation, it makes sense a southern guy meeting up with a guy from the north in Birmingham.

If you act alone you will be chasing your tail forever as partners it makes sense too co-op together you all make something the biggest bonus is this 16hrs on the road is a killer, it might not happen today next week but it will at somepoint.

If the vans are vented more types of livestock could be carried, 2 years ago the writing was on the wall for Amtak so I got out of selling white Garden Fantails just in time.

Collect or birds dropped off at night drive too link location swap deliverys drop them PM, yes some will have more customers but its swings and roundabouts as they will also have more work both ways?

If i could drive 250 miles a day i would do it as i have the ex-police dog van that is perfect for the job, my right foot swells up on long trips otherwise I would press this home.

Trust in your mates form a co-op and make some more mates, co-op sounds just like the birds or work yourself into a grave covering the UK that has no long lasting gain for anybody. :(

Guest bakes

i used a courier for the first time other day when i bought a bird from valance loft sent him the money for bird and courier and was very happy with the service nice bloke that dropped the bird off was pigeoncourier.co.uk would use them again

all the best

bakes.