2005 Online Pigeon Show

snowy

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EDINBURGH INTERNATIONAL SHOW FOR THE WAR BLINDED AT LINBURN WILL BE HELD

ON SATURDAY 12TH & SUNDAY 13TH NOVEMBER AT THE BRUNTON

HALLS,MUSSELBURGH.  TRADE STANDS WELCOME.

Guest beautyhomer

Peckedhen,

The show used to be on the 3rd saturday of November,which would make it the 19th but I am sure they had to change it (caused a big row with the NPA).I used to be on the committee so finding the new date will not be a problem.I should see some of the present committee at the national homer show on the 16th of October.

Yes there should be sale pens at the show,if not you can still arange to buy birds.

Regards Andrew

Suggested 'Classes'

Young Cock - Any Breed

Young Hen - Any Breed

Old Racing Cock - Racers Only

Old Racing Hen - Racers Only

Stock Cock - Any Breed

Stock Hen - Any Breed

Golden Oldies (birds 10 years or older)

Channel Birds Cocks and Hens

Grand Final - Winners from the previous classes.

My ideas to run it. All photos to be sent to forum@pigeonbasic.com, and must have been taken within 7 days before the class starts (most cameras have a date function). Other than that, entries to remain anonymous until poll is finished (no voting for friends!), and open 7 days before the poll begins (email entry only).

Like the idea Webmaster, although unsure about classes. Having looked at the many postings on this forum, there appears to be the 3 facets of pigeon keeping represented viz; racers, fancy pigeons and show racers. Your suggestion is based on 8 classes with a final 'winners' class. Fine, but how about this for a suggestion :

1.Young Cock or Hen - Racer

2.Young Cock or Hen - Fancy Pigeon

3.Young Cock or Hen - Show Racer

4.Old Cock or Hen - Racer

5.Old Cock or Hen - Fancy Pigeon

6.Old Cock or Hen - Show Racer

7.Final class - Winners from each of 6 classes above.

With this we won't have any problems with inter-breed classes, and a fairer playing field would be maintained. For example, when it's the turn of class 2 to appear, we the 'polling judges' can only cast our vote purely for a fancy pigeon, and that bird in turn shall progress to class 7. At the conclusion of the poll for the 6 classes we will end up with 6 entries for class 7 viz; 2 racers, 2 fancy pigeons and 2 show racers. As you yourself would now realise, your suggested classes will produce a minimum of 3 racers for the final class as it sits, and could result in a final class of 8 racers.

Again, Webmaster, like yours, mine is only a suggestion.

In Sport.

Paul.

Thanks Showman, I completely agree - a much better/fair way of doing things. If there are no more advances on Showmans suggestion, anyone like to propose a start date? :) I'm thinking 1 week to get the entries in, 1 week for the juging poll to be open. This could be a 7 week series then - or should we allow for more time between?

Guest beautyhomer

I take it that the flying breeds ie

West of England Flying Tumblers

Exhibition Tipplers and

Birmingham Rollers

will be included in the fancy classes because strictly speaking they are not fancy pigeons and are treated seperately at shows

i agree with members 2 birds to each class, also with hyacinth, a golden oldies and channel class, as you might get some members putting a lot of birds in , maybe some of the new commers will not have many birds, and as for the more experienced, im sure you could pick 2 of what you think are the best, again its only my opinion , i think it should be treated as a bit fun, with some nice photos, to look at

I think what we need to bear in mind as we put forward our ideas, is that this on line 'pigeon-show' can only be looked upon as a bit of fun, nothing more, nothing less. By its' nature, an on line show is ludicrous, and proves nothing. Think about it.....how can you attempt to make rational comment about a pigeon of any variety just by looking at a picture !!! By sub-dividing the disciplines, we would end up with a fair number of classes, which will drag the whole thing out for too long.I take it we'd like to have it wrapped up by Christmas !!  I take your point, Beautyhomer, regarding the flying breeds, but as a 'purist' when it comes to 'proper'shows, I would be the first to object to show racers being classified as just Old Birds viz : Class 6.  My first cry would be that yearlings should not be in the same class as older birds.Lets keep the whole thing sweet and simple to see how it goes, and as they say over here, a bit of 'craic'. :D

My opinion

Paul.

Guest beautyhomer

showman,

I was just wanted to clarify the classification.As this forum is mainly used by racing fanciers I doubt there are enough fancy/flying pigeons to warrant more than 1 or 2 classes.

Andrew

Whilst I agree with both of you, this is a democratic forum and I think all fanciers should have the chance to show off their feathered friends.

Maybe be can have two shows running concurrently, Racing, show?Show Racing.

The structure of the show I proposed was intended to bring together the 3 most popular disciplines of pigeon keeping today viz : racing, fancy and show racer, in a very simple format. Maybe I've lost the plot a bit Hyacinth, but can I ask the question...why would we need to run 2 'shows' ? Surely as pigeon fanciers we should actively pursue every opportunity to strengthen the bond between us all by encouraging such a coming together. I fear 2 'shows' may not have that desired effect !!

Paul.

Paul

I did a lot of showing in England and came across guys who used to breed a show racer with a standard racer just for show, and guys who put RPRA rings on show racers to enter them in shows. The Judge at the Todmorden show several year ago spotted this right away in the old bird racers section and threw the show racers out

Just my opinion as I like to see like for like competing against each other, but this is meant to be a fun show so the members should decide

Maybe I think we are getting bogged down with too many details here. It will just be a bit of fun, as can you really judge the best bird from a photo? Each member may have their preferences about colour or type, but personally I'd look for condition on the bird; it wouldnt bother me a class of different breeds.

If there are not enough birds entered for a class (based on if we were having Racer/Fancy/Show Racer) it could revert to Racer/Non-Racer?

Well I have my first photograph ready taken last night, it's a breeder cock

Yes I think we may be getting bogged down, so lets's have the final sections and when you want the photographs in by.  I may have to send mine together to webmaster as we are going down to North Carolina shortly.

i really dont think it matters who wins or loses, its just the participating that counts , i think it should be a fun thing so we can all see some nice photos of nice birds, even if the final is in january,,, just to keep everyone in suspenders,??? were all forum members and all entitled to vote, so really, any of us are taking part ,lets all agree to make this a bit fun, and enjoy it .what about guyfawks day for a start, its a saturday this year, then every sat from then, even if some birds are not completely through the moult, its all up to the forum to judge, and allow for this.

PROPOSAL FOR SHOWS

7 shows (classes) as per my previous posting.

Forum members can submit 2 entries per class ( 1 photo per entry )

1st Show.....CLASS : Young Cock or Hen  -  Racer

Photos to be submitted Saturday & Sunday 5th & 6th November

Members polling to take place Monday 7th - Thursday 10th November

Webmaster to issue result of  class  Friday  11th November

This will give interested parties time at the weekend to take photos in daylight ,if they so desire, and post in the evening.Members would then have 4 days in which to cast their vote, thus giving time to forum members to vote at leisure, being respectful of their available time, due to work commitments etc.

Paul.