My Tipler Pigeons Won't Leave Their Loft

frank frank

Hi, I'm after a bit of advice for my stepfather (again), if possible?

He's recently started from scratch again after a time away from the hobby due to illness, and has had a nice, large new loft built.

He then bought 10 x Pakistani Tiplers from a chap he found online - which was just over four weeks ago.

Since this weekend just gone - once the birds had had three weeks to get used & acclimatised to their new surroundings - he's been trying to let them out for a daily fly, but they won't leave the loft. Today was the 4th day he has tried, both morning & afternoon, but they still won't come out. He's a bit worried as to why, and he doesn't want to force them out and frighten them.

Can anybody offer any helpful advice or tips for him?

Many thanks.

PS. Another important bit of information is that they are one-year old birds, but weren't kept in very nice conditions by the previous owner who told him that he'd never let them out. Obviously this must have a huge bearing on why they either won't, or are too scared to leave their new coop, bless them.

really hard to say without looking at or handling the birds . seeing there surroundings ?

Thanks for the reply, Andy, it's much appreciated.

Not sure how much help it is, but here's a photo of where they now live (please excuse the dog) & their surroundings - the old pigeon loft on the far left (next to the budgie aviary) is now gone and has been replaced by a larger, albeit lower-but-much-longer new loft (on legs) - this is where they live - the budgies are still there next door to them though (about fifty or so).

Behind the coop & fence it is rural, just a canal & a big field.

I'd say their surroundings are fairly tranquil & pleasant, although there are other houses & gardens adjacent to the opposite side of the gardenpost-32717-15922564483635_thumb.jpg.

Hi,

Like Andy says. Difficult to say without seeing the condition of the birds. The worrying thing for me, is that you mention that they were not kept in very nice conditions. Tipplers are not known to be great at homing. And birds that are kept captive for a long time and never let out tend to get lost when they eventually build up the courage to take to the air.

If they are healthy birds and originally come from good flying stock. It would probably be best to keep them in and get some new youngsters from them.

The young will more likely be easier to train and home to your loft.

Hi,

Like Andy says. Difficult to say without seeing the condition of the birds. The worrying thing for me, is that you mention that they were not kept in very nice conditions. Tipplers are not known to be great at homing. And birds that are kept captive for a long time and never let out tend to get lost when they eventually build up the courage to take to the air.

If they are healthy birds and originally come from good flying stock. It would probably be best to keep them in and get some new youngsters from them.

The young will more likely be easier to train and home to your loft.

Many thanks for the reply & advice, buddy, I will pass that on to him. He may have to do that, as you say, it's just a shame for them as I feel sorry for the poor blighters stuck in a coop all day.

Thanks again.

Force them out and you will most likely lose a lot! A wire cage placed on top of loft to give them a good lookout. Then place them through the traps into the loft later.

Patience is a virtue in this game. Rush and be sorry. they will do right if given the chance.

I would spend time in loft gently talking to them. Move slow and steady. Maybe getting used to the fancier will take time. But is essential.

Edited by Roland

Force themout and you will most likely losea lot! Awire cage placed on top of loft to give them a good lookout. then place them through the traps into the loft later.

patience is a virtue in this game. Rush and be sorry. they will do right if given the chance.

Thanks for the advice, Roland, I will pass that straight on to him mate.

Just a quick update, I spoke to my stepfather today on the blower and he said one of the pigeons came out today, which was encouraging.

He said the little fella didn't fly, but had a bit of a wander around and explored his surroundings for a bit, before going back in by himself.

So, small steps & all that, but I've passed on what you said, Roland, about not to force them out & to be ultra patient with them. He said he will and to thank you guys for your advice, it's been very much appreciated.

Thanks again from me, too.

Yes small step... but then it take one to start a trip of a mile eh!

They have lots to get use to. Many strange happenings, to feel safe and contented. Time and patience.

Thank you, Roland, you've been a great help. I've urged him to show patience, and to let them come out when only they feel happy to.

He tried again today but none felt willing, but hey, Rome wasn't built in a day!

I'm sure, having sought the advice of this great forum, that if he's ultra patient with the little fellas then they'll decide to venture out when they feel 100% comfortable with it.

Thanks again (to all who kindly replied).