Well Do / Should We?

Roland

Thats one of the main problems Roland, pigeon fanciers can't agree on anything and certainly not if its outside their comfort zone. :(

How True.

I believe we should be excising the 'secret Vote'. in many aspects and reasons.

Many follow when having their ear tickled true.

But a lot more go along as a 'Follow' for fear of ridicule, or loosing face.

the 'Secret' vote takes that away. Also one can, if so wishes, play up to the ear tickler / or forceful voice whilst actually voting what he actually believe makes sense and IS for the betterment of the sport AND their pigeons!

Roland.. As someone who regularly looses Birds to the Sparrow Hawk Hens in March / April I was very interested in what you were saying and people's thoughts about starting the racing later. I try to have as little time as possible before the first race to try to get my birds loft fit but that in itself causes problems with unfit birds not properly tuned in to responding to commands sitting about roofs as easy targets.

Just tonight I came across the following bbc online article see https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0647cpw where the people are discussing the changing seasons. They say that Spring is arriving 26 days earlier than it did 10 years ago and explain how that is effecting nesting birds etc.. Well if thats the case and we add another month onto the start of the racing season we might manage to miss the Sparrow Hawk hens pre nesting preparations and start letting our birds out for exercise / training well after she is back down on eggs.

Also that might explain why we are now racing our big National races in what appear to be extreme weather conditions not fully suitable for these type of races, when that did not seem to happen a few years ago..

Global Warming might be something we could use to our advantage.

I know how difficult it can be to get pigeon fanciers to accept change of even consider making changes but if you have the ability to bring together the right evidence it might at least allow a trial for a year or so to be put in place to see what difference it would make.

I think our real problem is how do we get people in authority to look at this type of evidence and act on it for the betterment of the sport.

Nice read Belge. But A. regards the B.O.P. problem they are still mating in same months … also as I repeat it may help B.O.P. problem.

But the main aim is that climate changes in having hotter weather!

Take nature. the oak tree etc. still moults... but often different time of the year... mostly later. (Obviously oter trees and nature. Rabbits now breed all the year round... where as ferreting was when the was an R in the month. Climate change means that is not the case most years. We had a so called beast from the East etc. this year. Why, because the fact is they count the hours in the day and act accordingly.

Plus you hit the nail on the head when you say and I quote' … I try to have as little time as possible before the first race to try to get my birds loft fit but that in itself causes problems with unfit birds not properly tuned in to responding to commands sitting about roofs as easy targets'.

Well putting back the nest circle would mean,( I used to put mine together 1st or 2nd weak in April any way. Still flew the y/b season easily). that the warmer weather would solve that, plus healthy and better reared youngsters.

Youngsters hatched June flew some club races, knowing that wouldn't be a problem. In 1989 We had a Thurso Race for youngsters in the September. (it finished the Midland North R.C. as they let them up in atrocious weather. It rained for days on end. Mine flew 479 miles. Well ahead on many in vast circle … a bird in Pontefract beat mine as a few others there about)

Was the time when it was called an 'Indian' summer... not now, it is part and tertial. 2 years ago wer wers sun bathing on the sea side of Bournemouth for instance.

As for '...

I think our real problem is how do we get people in authority to look at this type of evidence and act on it for the betterment of the sport...'. I agree. But then again the simple fact is, it is up to them. It is for the member to discuss, think and put forward... which again is simple, THEN get the fancier off the back side and vote. Another reason why a 'Secret vote may be needed' Again simply done.

It was in 1984 and a Thurso race when I was asked by an old experience fancier … 'What time you hoping for a bird today Roly'? I replied was hoping between 5 -6'

He said 'You must be dreaming... It's 65 degrees! That was in old temperatures. Day when if it went to seventy of near, IT was news on the Television. Indeed the Paper made articles on articles regards the sweltering heat!

Gosh nigh that now in February!

Time to adjust our sails as nature is doing

Edited by Roland

Fahrenheit to Centigrade

65 Fahrenheit is 18.3 centigrade!

68 Fahrenheit is 20 Centigrade!

30 Centigrade is 86.8 Fahrenheit!

Now if one is saying that out beloved birds don't need our assistance, Especially when we are able to help, then that is incomprehensible. Indeed should make one to think just what A. Just what is it we want and B. what about our pigeons!

We flew Rome in 89 I believe. Arranged via Bilco. Yes many gallant birds did well. Bilco, after discerning the effort vowed never to be involved in the likes again. wasn't the mileage, it was / is the heat.

I would like a sensible answer from any fancier to explain just why we should bother, or care!

Never mind what others brag about, or spout 'I would, it's the others crap. Speak for your selves.

Edited by Roland

Fahrenheit to Centigrade

65 Fahrenheit is 18.3 centigrade! 68 Fahrenheit is 20 Centigrade! Was hot 30 years ago!

30 Centigrade is 86.8 Fahrenheit! and getting hotter today. If one believes that our gallant friends don't our help - which we can help … then I'm saddened by the fanciers and grieve for our so - called sport!