Stock Birds

Bad idea.

If you have really good stock birds they should be the ones you breed from. Racing pigeons are just that. Racing pigeons, and they will not give you their best if you have them rearing youngsters beside the majority of racing pigeons will have to prove their worth before allowing them to breed.

If you want to be successful at breeding quality youngsters especially early ones you will need to have lights in the loft to extend the day length. These lights would be a bad idea for the racing pigeons because they will be pushed into the moult before the right time.

If you want to be able to manage the condition and form of both your racing pigeons, your stock birds and the youngsters you really need to have a decent stock loft. It does not have to be a big elaborate thing, an 8 X 4 building with an aviary on it would do all you need to support a average sized racing team. By the way the aviary should have a wire floor so that the birds can sit in the rain and sun without the risk of disease that a solid floor would have.

Thank you very much for your kind offer!

But Currently living arrangements mean i can not keep any birds ( rented accommodation) currently in the process of looking for our own place to buy and then hopefully all being well i will be able to start keeping/ racing.

What i was thinking was maybe buying say two pairs to start with and send the young ones from them off to one loft racing as i currently work every other saturday so wouldn't be able race every week if i kept the birds to race myself. Does this sound like a good place to start or would i be better off starting with young birds and learn as i go with them racing when i can so every other week or is this no good?

Your advice is very much appreciated

The reason I have said what I did was to try to suggest a way that you can win pigeon races. In my case I like to manage my birds in a way that is most likely to get them to win races. i know there are people out there who mix stock birds with racers and even rear youngsters in the same loft as the old birds but I don't think it works very well. To answer your question about keeping stock pairs together. I don't like to do that because I want my stock birds well rested and moulted out early so that I have the option of pairing early if I want to do. Besides I may want to change the pairings rather than find myself trying to pair birds that would rather stick with their previous partner.

I race my birds on a celibate system which means that they do not have a mate at all and I would not want the opposite sex to be in the same loft because it would cause problems. One of the best things about keeping the birds celibate is the fact that they will exercise really well and fly high which makes them very fit. When pigeons are interested in the opposite sex or are involved in family duties they lose interest in exercising vigorously. When you are in a position to set up your loft and stock it with some good birds you will have a choice. You can either enjoy the racing on the basis of watching the birds homing or decide to become competitive and try to win as many races as you can. If you are like me and like to win races you can not afford to be slap happy about the way you do things. There are no big secrets in pigeon racing but you need to look at it as if it were a jig saw puzzle. Every little piece is important.

i fly natural birds paired up all year . i don,t train much i don,t feed at same time each day.i don,t let birds out at same time each day.i do the birds to suit me birds are competitive in all races i send birds to from 60 miles to 428 miles. i got an offer from a friend years back of some dvd,s about racing systems. i said no thanks i race the kinbebothard system and i works good enough for me.

Some real food for thought there thank you both for the replys.

As a new starter ( in the not to distant future hopefully )

Am i better getting young birds and race when i can ? ( every other week with my current working hours )

Or get some stock breed off them and send them off to one loft racing?

What are your opinions on both of the above please?

gav when you get set up and in a club let me know will help you out with a kit of 6 well bred yb,s to get you started. their are a lot of good fanciers on hear that will give good advice and more to help a new fancier in to the sport. so any questions just put them up sure one or two will get back to you.

i had pigeons when i was around 12 years old the guy next door raced them i used to jump over the fence on a saturday to watch him time in then in 1987 i got my own house with the lass im still with built a shed and kept a few pigeons bred a few youngsters with a view to racing in 1988 then my other half became pregnant with our first son and pigeons for me had to stop we where both 20 and a baby meant goodbye pigeons.now the guy i used to watch back when i was 12 i have been watching time in again this y/b season and that burning desire to want to race pigeons is now back although it never really left just brining 3 kids up over the last 20 years has meant i have had to wait a little longer anyway that my brief story of why i want to race and keep gods superb creatures that are homing pigeons.

Its something that interests me when am out and about or on way to/home from work i watch the birds circling and flying in the sky from local fanciers and think ad like my own birds one day and see what else is involvled ie the breeding training and the racing seeing the birds home on race day.

Once set up al be pleased just to get the birds home after training an racing and just enjoy the sport but being a of a competitive nature i will then no doubt be wanting to win races on a regular basis.

Blaz thank you for your time, replys and offers.

Once i have a loft, club and the sec details i will certainly be in touch.

Your a credit to the sport.

Blaz in your opinion whats the best/worst thing about the sport/hobbie?

to compete at nationals for me is the best thing. the worst by far is the birds of prey killing our birds and our sport.