Raptors

Walter swanston

In my time in pigeon racing (20 years) I have taken a great interest in the raptor problem,I have researched it and spoken at the level of parliamentary sub committees and local authority planning meetings.I urge basics members to read page 9 of today's Herald newspaper where an idea of the strength of the bird of prey lobby can be seen.When such luminaries as The Lord Advocate and the Environment Minister and others profess their determination to protect birds of prey at all costs the protests of the pigeon fancy becomes a voice in the wilderness.I regret being so negative towards our own interests but I am very much afraid that we as fanciers must live with the situation as it is and Icannot see the RPRA,s current campaign going anywhere.

I have not read the Article Walter, but I think what you are quoting refers to your sub-heading, 'barbaric killing of birds of prey'. It is well known (or should be well known) that killing birds of prey is against the law, and this will not be tolerated by Governments or Courts. The Raptor Alliance realise that, and say that breaking the Law is not in the pigeon fancy's interest especially when the Alliance is trying to get the Law changed to allow us to protect our pigeons.

We the pigeon fancier well the biggest majority are realists and know we will never win

Against the RSBP . who can blame the fancier for breaking the law ,watching his/her

Beloved birds being slaughtered day in and day out farmers can shoot on sight dogs

That attack sheep a law for one and a law for the other,they are both domesticated (dog

And pigeon)?.why can't we take the protection order to court ?????

We have tried to rally pigeon fanciers in the past but pigeon fancier mentality is so petty that they end up arguing with each other as everyone wants to be at the helm and steer their own course. The RPRA who should take the helm are not interested as they are too frightened of the RSPB lobby and bad press for wanting to cull these beautiful birds that devastate lofts and cotes and the public are well groomed by nice pictures of them and the high majority think that pigeons are vermin

I would support anyone that can stop this happening to our birds

I could post loads more

Edited by DOVEScot

Guest bigda

we could beat any court order if we could get the queen to say the racing pigeon needs protection, most of these law lords are on the Rspb books, and are given memberships among other things. the RSPB have 3 million members and each year there members ship cost them £35 pound so do the maths with that, and with that kind on money going about what lawlord would not want to be seen associated with that. we need people of stature and by given them big wads of notes to say

things like racing pigeons are cool racing pigeons need help then only then would we have the public not all but most agree they do need help Tyson would be one, give him 50k and give him a script thats is the sort of route we need to go with .

any other way, and we are throwing buns to a bear, we will waste money time and effort, should we frigg about with what we are at, surely we the pigeon men must know a few personality's to get things started, yes they don't do anything with out money, after all the rspb use the big guns when they want a collection, we can have them beat also, if we keep decrying them that they are letting all the small birds get killed, we keep all photos of birds been killed by the bop, and keep driving it home to them ever minute of the day. the bop is there bread winner they could not give too hoots about the starling the blackie or the sparrow the only time they would worry about them if the bop had nothing more to eat.

Guest geordiejen

the majority of people in the uk dont care much about pigeons be it racing or any other type.the big problem is there is just too many raptors feeding on all types of birds which the public dont take much notice of.we the pigeon fancier must comply to the laws and no pigeon organisation will be able to change that.

most of the public don't understand pigeon racing but when its explained to them most find it interesting and are amazed how much hard work is involved plus how they manage to home from such a long way.maybe if more knew about it we would have a lot more fanciers.j.m.o

Has the raptor alliance saw any progress?

Well I know it has a my dookit Geordie last year between old birds and young birds I lost 18 birds . I worked hard all winter to help my pigeons this year I have not lost a bird from top of loft doo men have to help them selfs before anybody will help us .just like anything that harms the pigeons .canker/cocci/worms/or anything only the doo man (fancier) can sort it out .J.M.O. :)