Back To Basics

Guest peter4pm

Guest peter4pm

As ive said before my birds are in Aviary's ...ive vaccinated a few times and still have birds go sick ...i just dont think it does what it says on the tin ...its been around 2 years since i last jagged my Ghent Kroopers and they have been fine and dandy ...even vaccinated birds can still end up with paratyphoid or pmv

And to answer your question ...why would anyone want to lie ...Well i wasnt saying that ..im just saying that anyone can say they have vaccinated their birds , but with no proof to show , then it means nothing really just their word that the have done so.

Anyway ...my whole point of posting is to have my birds build up their own strong immune system like i did back in the day withought having to jag them and treat them for this and that ...its my choice ...im not dictating that this is the way to go ...as most disagree which is fine ...but they are my birds and i treat them like kings and this is only my way of doing things .

the proof is the vaccination sheet which is signed by 2 other members of the union also club officials are suppose to make sure all is on order before birds are raced these sheets are then suppose to be with the transporter when transporting birds

the misuse of medication has been a big problem over the 10 years or more

as i said in my above post its not 100% but even if it only 50% of the time it worked i would still use it as its a horrific disease as im no vet i dont understand how it works at all but my understanding is that the vaccination is a milder form of the disease which kicks of the birds immune to build up antibodies so its body is prepared when the virus does come along there was a problem with certain vaccines not working few years back the rumour was that the virus had changed slightly and the vaccine was not doing its job how much truth is in that i dont know i did see in one loft where a fanicer had done his birds with one vaccine and he bought in 6 to 9 birds from another loft his loft got the disease he lost over 80% of his own birds but none of the 6 or birds that he bought in also them birds never got sick while all is own were very sick and dieing around them :emoticon-0138-thinking:

i believe in short that the vaccine is a boost to the immune system

peter4pau

I still think you are wrong but it is a free Country and you are not doing anything to spoil things for others so it is a question of each to his own. The one little thing I have picked up though may be of interest to you. Henk de Werd commented that racing pigeons, due to the fact that selection is so hard, are by far tougher than fancy breeds. So, according to him, fancy pigeons are far more likely to suffer with health problems.

In your last reply you mentioned paratyphoid in connection with vaccination. I am not at all satisfied that vaccinations are much help for this disease. First of all it is a bacteria and second it comes in many forms so the vaccination would need to be developed to the specific strain causing the problems. Besides, the type of disease that affect pigeons is "murum" which is vermin sourced. In addition when I looked at the incidence of this disease in domestic pigeons I decided that it is not worth bothering about. As I understand it some lofts in Belgium use antibiotics for 10 days at the end of October each year with the idea that if there is a trace of the disease present, it will be eliminated and the birds will be clear ready to breed.

I have bait boxes permanently down just in case a rat or mouse decides to visit.

ATB

Owen

Hi Peter, I hope you are doing ok pal, as you know i show my pouters and in the past i would maybe or maybe not jag them but to be honest since i started in the racing i have jagged my showbirds and have never seen them going down, to be honest i feel more comfartable them being jagged as i do not know what condition the bird in the next pen is in and i would (asYou) would not want my stock wiped out-----worth thinkin about.

Me personaly think every bird kept by a fancier should be vaccinated JMO