Why Do They Keep Going Back

Michael 123

Hi all im new to the pigeon world been interested since i was a kid.

Back in January i was given a pair of west of England tumblers with the loft, only a small loft big enough for a couple of pairs, the problem is i have let then out twice and every time they go back to the last owner. I they have been shut up for the last 3 months, i was told they should be settled within a few weeks. Have tried to get them to nest but every time they lay the eggs get smashed

what am i doing wrong not bothered about breeding just won't them to fly and come back. Did not feed them the day before i let then out.

any help would be great i don't won't to keep them locked away.

thanx Michael

can they see out all the time ?? also you can get a bucket and fill it up with water then add a lot of washing up liquid and them soap each wing for 1min and they wont be able to fly then a week of that and them potting around the garden they should stay there what i did with my racing pigeons

can they see out all the time ?? also you can get a bucket and fill it up with water then add a lot of washing up liquid and them soap each wing for 1min and they wont be able to fly then a week of that and them potting around the garden they should stay there what i did with my racing pigeons

hi m8 i have heard of that before. On the front of my loft there is a all wire box so they can see about, the problem is the bloke i got them off only lives 200yards away i can see his house from my garden, when the cock flies first he circles my house the hen comes out and heads straight back then the cock follows. I can see them now there sat on his roof. How long do you let them wander around each day

cheers Michael

You'll need to come to an arrangement with the previous owner that he doesn't let the bird back into his loft and most importantly that it doesn't get food in his loft. Try getting them to nest again and put dummy eggs under them so they will sit longer. I cannot emphasise enough the need for the previous owner to keep them out and not allow them to feed there, as soon as they know there is no food at the old loft they will break to you. ATB

You'll need to come to an arrangement with the previous owner that he doesn't let the bird back into his loft and most importantly that it doesn't get food in his loft. Try getting them to nest again and put dummy eggs under them so they will sit longer. I cannot emphasise enough the need for the previous owner to keep them out and not allow them to feed there, as soon as they know there is no food at the old loft they will break to you. ATB

thanx for all your info. They have been gone since yesterday, i did tell the bloke not to feed them. He said he tried to get them down but they were having none of it. If is going to try and catch them tomoz and box them up have told him not to to feed them as i will do it when i get them back.

If they aren't going straight back, looks like you're nearly there. :)

When you get them back, keep them in for one day, then try letting them out one at a time, cock out without hen, then next day hen without cock etc. Continue day about for a few days till each bird is going in and out no bother by itself - then let them out together.

No need to keep food off them the day before, just make sure the bird hasn't been fed the day you let it out - hungry, not starved. Remember yours is to be the preferred home for them, so treat them accordingly.

If they aren't going straight back, looks like you're nearly there. :)

When you get them back, keep them in for one day, then try letting them out one at a time, cock out without hen, then next day hen without cock etc. Continue day about for a few days till each bird is going in and out no bother by itself - then let them out together.

No need to keep food off them the day before, just make sure the bird hasn't been fed the day you let it out - hungry, not starved. Remember yours is to be the preferred home for them, so treat them accordingly.

thanx i will try that

Hi mate this is my own personal opinion for me i would breed off your birds and keep the youngsters as the adult birds have two homes now.

Spoke to the bloke rpra today at malvern show and he basically told me there is no chance of getting them to settle :cry-blow:

Spoke to the bloke rpra today at malvern show and he basically told me there is no chance of getting them to settle :cry-blow:

Chin up, it can be done. :)

Only 300/400 yards between 3 lofts A, B & C where I live, and a 10 year old hen was broken to 2 of them ; Loft B was the first, he bought the pigeon from loft A, about 400 yards from him. He wintered the pigeon, broke her the following year, and kept her for 2 years during which time she flew out daily, then gifted her to me, Loft C, about 400 yards from him.

I wintered the pigeon and broke her. She returned to her previous loft once, and was collected & returned to the new loft. In my case, she returned to Loft B a second time, but he brought her in, showed her her that her previous year's box was locked up (her previous mate had also gone) so she was basically being shown that there was nothing in that loft for her any more. She was put out and chased, and came back to my loft of her own accord. Again, she flew out daily and never went back to either of her previous homes.

As previous posts say, you need the co-operation of the person you got them from, they need to know that there is nothing for them at their old loft. You'll get there. :)

Let the birds out separately. There is no need to starve them but keep them on the tooth and introduce them to peanuts. Pigeons love them and when they know that they will have a couple of peanuts after they enter the loft, your problems will be over. By the way, I hope you have not got one of those complicated traps because for this exercise you can not beat the open door. With an open door you can walk the birds in and out without asking them to negotiate something they are not used to and requires them to work out how to get in. Keep it simple.