Gb10A24034 Pigeon In Garden, How Do I Look After It?

Guest rahbahkah

Guest rahbahkah

He's been there for about 6 hours and was unable to fly, didn't seem injured though. Picked him up to check ring number then left him in garden to see if he flew away. But now it is getting dark and I am worried about cats or foxes so I have put him in a box with air-holes, water and food. I read that this can stop them feeling stressed but I am worried I am doing the wrong thing. Sorry if I am mishandling it but I don't know what else to do as I don't want it to be attacked by anything... :(

well done for taking care of a lost young racing pigeon hopefully its just tired from trying to find its way home do u know if its drunk any water or eaten today? you can try dunking their beak in some water just in case its thirsty. it will eat food such as wild birds seed,barley,lentils or suchlike. as long as wild animals/cats cant get access to the box it should be fine overnight i only say this as i once asked somebody to put one of my birds in a box overnight which they did but left my bird/box in their garden overnight :blink: ive sent you a private message with my tel no in case you need any more help? keep us posted debbie

Guest rahbahkah

It has eaten - I'm not sure if it has drunk anything but there has been water left out for it all day. The box with it in is currently in the garden, my dad hasn't let me bring it inside. I think I'll try and put it in the garage though, because I didn't think leaving it outside was a good idea either.

Thank you for the help! :)

Guest rahbahkah

It's in the garage now with food and water so we'll just leave it there overnight then let it back in the garden. Managed to contact someone who knows who it belongs to as well, they said to leave it and see if it flies away of its own accord. so thank you everyone for the help!

Guest rahbahkah

update on pigeon situation - owner is picking him up tomorrow morning. We don't think he will fly away as whenever he tries to he just flaps a couple of feet and lands again. Put him back in the box for now because he got stuck in a rose bush...

good to hear that owner is collecting bird tomorrow, try to entice the bird to drink by putting a small dish or bowl of water in front of it or dip its beak into it, lost young birds can easily become dehydrated which a non fancier like yourself wouldnt notice, but that said youve done a great job so far caring for it,please keep us posted when the bird is collected and thanks for all youve done debbie