Loft Ventilation

Guest peter4pm

Guest peter4pm

Below is a picture of my main 12x8 loft with aviary ...ive got 4 plastic louvers on the front that you can see ...i was thinking of taking out the perpex in both the windows you can see in the picture and meshing them to let much more air in & out .

Only thing im worried about is the effect of strong winds blowing in ect in the bad weather , as where my loft is situated ..it gets battered hard with the weather , just wondering if that would be to much for the birds to handle .....

Your thoughts and opinions please ...thanks

Peter

Guest youngboy

me i would try put a slide door where the perpex is and a mesh door in behing it so you can leave birds into avair by openin mesh and perpex door and close on of them when feeding and if to windy lock the perpex door would be simple and better ventilation.

thats what i would do anyway?

Guest peter4pm

cheers guys for the comments thus far ....it's mainly the wind blowing in i think might be to much ... be ok on good days but would play havoc on bad days

peter4pm, I do not think you have anything like enough ventilation. I find it hard to see exactly how you have it, but I think the bottom vents are fine. And it is good that you can regulatethe air flow. However, I would want to see far more vents at the top of the loft where the foul air can get away. I like the equivelant of 4" all around the eves. In addition to that you will have to take account of the loft position and the proximity of things like trees and houses.

You should also have a look at the amount of light that can get into your loft. For me, the lighter the better.  

Guest peter4pm

thanks owen , im just thinking the same thing about ventilation at the top of the loft like you said , i just thought by freeing up both windows would be good , but then again maybe not so good if you know what i mean..

So a couple of plastic vents at the top corners for instance ?

you list the ventilation you have at the front of the loft but what do you have at the rear and roof level?

If air can only go in through your vents where does the stale warm air exit? No good letting fresh in if stale can't get out!

Guest peter4pm

cheers pjc owen was just going on about that ...was thinking maybe a row of vents along the top of the roof ?? , i cant get into the rear of the loft as my 8 x6 is directly behind it

My ideal loft ventilation is a 4" gap all around the the top of the walls. That is front, back and sides. To make it work you have to have really good overhangs and wire netting over the vents. Widow openings just do not work because you do not have that essential flow.

If you manage to do this you will have a very pleasant surprise, the birds will be completely differant. They will look better and will exercise far better. And maybe best of all, you will not be bothered with respiritory problems.

My ideal loft ventilation is a 4" gap all around the the top of the walls. That is front, back and sides. To make it work you have to have really good overhangs and wire netting over the vents. Widow openings just do not work because you do not have that essential flow.

If you manage to do this you will have a very pleasant surprise, the birds will be completely differant. They will look better and will exercise far better. And maybe best of all, you will not be bothered with respiritory problems.

100% totally correct,,,,,i agree too,,,,very big differance in birds too

Think you need to show more pictures of your loft inside and outside and give more info on what your loft is made of and how many birds you have in it.

As its very hard to tell some one what to do to make it better when they is only one picture posted.

some things to look at.

Light

air flow

heat

number of birds

condition of your birds can tell how good your loft is.

Cheers Leighton

highfly den, what a great idea. I have always had a problem with ventilation of the youngbirds over night when the curtains are drawn. I think you have just given me an idea to solve the problem.

Thanks

Owen

to gain form and condition you need warmth and sun light but with fresh air flowing with out drafts if it were me i  would put your four vents at the bottom and put a 2 inch vent right at the top the full lenghth of shed and the same at back and also u need alot more light in there ;)

Guest The main Mahon

If I were you, I would try a couple of roof chimneys. I also don't see any problem with taking the perspex off of the windows, but I would cover them with a very fine plastic mesh which would deflect any weather and also act as a wind break whilst still allowing plenty of fresh air into the loft.

Roof chimnies are great and have been proven over the years in batteries and Pig housing.

I have the overlap roof now, and never had to, but would if need be not hesitate for a second to fix 4 Moter fans  to top of the gaps around and under the roof. Two blowing in and two drawing out.

Have some brilliant fans that I bought whe I was gigging that kept the gear in the Rack as cool as a cucumber. So no over heating of the gear. These were only £7 each and are superb too. Noiseless and effiecent. Would only use thes at the bottom though to put an fresh air flow in.