Tumblers

benstevens

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[justify]Hi just thought id post this pic i found of me with my childhood tumbler type pigeons, they were my 7th birthday present (to keep me away from the race team)

The hen in the lowest box is my golden oldie who only passed away this oct aged at least 24yrs.

and the unfortunate creature im man handling is her husband who is about 17 now and still a dropper for the race team.  ;D[/justify]

[justify] [/justify]

As you can see i was thrilled with my prezzie, tho i can imagine the poor birds were horrified ;D

i dont handle my pigeons like that these days lol ;)

sharron

a dropper is normally fancy or crossbreed pigeon, which either has its wings clipped or is very tame so it doesnt fly very far away from the loft, so on race days when the racing pigeons are due back from a race, pigeon fanciers place these droppers either outside the loft so the race birds can see them or they throw one up into the air when a race bird comes close, in order to entice the race bird home into the loft faster so its race ring can be removed and timed into the clock, they are very useful for trapping youngbirds as they feel safe when they see the dropper and happily follow it into the loft.

hope you this helpful, if anyone can add anything else feel free

Very helpful, yes.

When you say "trapping youngbirds", do you mean your own ones that you've released? Or do fanciers sometimes try to catch wild ones?  :-/

Jim

Your own birds Jim, they don't always want to come down especially when young, when they see other birds flying about. But the only way to score points in a race is to get them down, trap them in the loft, pick 'em up, take the race rubber off - to get it in a thimble - to stick in the clock - turn the key, and time them in ( as quickly as possible as you lose valuable time)  ;D

Your own birds Jim, they don't always want to come down especially when young, when they see other birds flying about. But the only way to score points in a race is to get them down, trap them in the loft, pick 'em up, take the race rubber off - to get it in a thimble - to stick in the clock - turn the key, and time them in ( as quickly as possible as you lose valuable time)  ;D

Now I get it: couldn't figure out why anyone would want to catch the ferals.

I heard a story on www.pigeonradio.com about a racer on race day who went to hang out at his neighbor's loft  just a few hundred yards away, and in came the neighbor's pigeon: the lad then runs back to his own loft - while his neighbor meanwhile is doing just what you described - only to find his own pigeon sitting there waiting for him!  ;D

Jim