Yb Retaining Food +Bad Droppings?

over the last couple of days ive noticed at least 2 shelfs have had watery droppings in my ybs section but couldnt identify which bird it was well today i noticed very bad watery droppings and 1 bird with crop full of food from last night,ive taken him out today and placed him in a crate away from the others, all my ybs were treated for canker and befor that were wormed,they are not on darkness,any ideas

cheers

Guest Owen

This looks like a classic case of YBS. The one thing you have to do is cut the feed down on them all and stop food on any that looks a bit full. Feed to birds on a light diet. A small percentage of pellets can be helpful. And you can treat with Amoxicillin. I lot of people make a solution of washing soda and put it directly into the crop with the aid of a syring with a tube attached to it. Suitable plastic tubing can be found in B@Q. This makes the bird throw up everything in the crop to stop the food going bad. If you decide to flush the crop, do not feed the bird for two days after treatment and then gradually offer small amounts of food, slowly building the bird back up to normal feeding over about a week. If you allow the bird to feed before the two days are up or allow it to eat too much too soon, you will set it back to being ill again. Sadly, most birds that become very ill are never fully healthy again. They sustain liver and kidney damage that stays with them all their life.

If you want your birds to have a better chance of staying healthy, get them onto dry deep litter and move it around twice every day. And ensure that they have a mixture of grits, clay blocks and vitamineral every day fresh. Break these ingredients up and mix them in a bucket. Throw yesterdays out every morning.

And it is very important not to feed birds that are slow to go to the trough. Slow feeders are the ones that will come down with these illnesses. Make them wait until tomorrow.

Everything Owen says is correct,I would go as far as saying stop feeding all young birds it won't hurt them.Miss them for two days if not three,when you do start feeding them ,if you can, feed with them depurative several times a day with small amounts don't fill them keep them hungry.

If you can't get hold of amoxicillin get some Belgamco from Taylors choice and follow the instuctionson the tub.

Untill you get something to put in the water give them electrolytes.

Best of luck mate.

Lindsay.

http://pigeons.taylorschoice.co.uk/products/167308_belgica_belgamco_80gm_tub.php