up to date info on channel racing

Guest marvin

the problem with Guernsey ,if it is available, is getting the transporters over there. I am led to believe there is only limited space available on the ferries. I would rather we knew now so that sort out a decent alternative race programme. Now that we know that pigeons can catch this virus do we really want our birds nearer to the outbreaks by sending them to the continent, especially the longer races when they could night out in mainland Europe.

My Federation, the Solent Fed have only planned a west route emergency programme up to 200mls because they are hoping we will be racing from France at some time. If it doesn't happen we will only race Old birds to Sennen Cove, 200mls to me, when we could race up to Scotland on the north Thurso is 545ml or Stonehaven 430ml.

Jersey is really expensive for ferries, more expensive than france, although I know some people at The Reddings have tried to negotiate better rates.  Also Mr Bryant is testing the water with the french soon by sending for a couple of permits for racing so lets see how that goes.  Having said that it still stands that Defra will not allow us out of the country until 31st May and thats only if the decission goes our way.  However he has a few meetings with them coming up, so hopefully he may be able to change their decission as he did with shows.

The first six races for the Solent Fed are Exeter, Exeter, Guernsey ,Yelverton,Guernsey, Wadebridge. and if we don,t get Channel racing we continue in this vein with some Sennen Coves as well (see Hants 2Bird prog.)

The old Portsmouth SR Fed used to race Jersey but apparently it is the same ferry that visits Guernsey and Jersey is its second port of call and can be a very much longer ferry trip.

I did find this on one of the larger french pigeon sites: -

I have just received a memorandum:

Amendment 112? Article 58, paragraph 3 (new)

3: The commission allows the Member States to use, temporarily the protective Inoculation, for the zones and groups at the risks, in the possibility of an international situation criticizes, instead of total cloistering without this causing restrictions of the Community trade.

Nederlandse Pluimvee Societeit hopes that this will open the way towards the vaccination of all the poultries. This note emanates from the European Commission of the Agriculture and the European Parliament which accepted the Vaccination of the Poultries. HAVE Pro - Nous Vaccine will continue to beat us to save what can be it. With other countries we continue to coordinate us, to try to soften measurements on the Européen level.

Well cordially

the SNC

so there maybe the option of vacinating agains  the flu as some of the already approved vacines have been tested & found  effective against it

sry about translation not being perfect i just babel fished it

theres a thread on iprr.co.uk posted today, with someone saying peter bryant has informed the fancy that defra have banned racing from france and spain? has anyone else heard this????

just checked on the RPRA site no new update since the 16/01/06 still waiting for a reply from french union. With the virus now in Cyprus it is getting closer I think the chance of continental racing is not looking to good, as nobody wants the virus in the UK I think the channel racing should be stooped for this season. :(

I looked on RPRA site as well and didnt see anything but then they arent exactly the quickest in updating are they

hi found it here it is?

As at Monday 30th January the current situation is thus;

France - no racing permitted by the French authorities, even for their own fanciers at present. We have offered our assistance to the FCF by way of forwarding the veterinary advice that secured our racing.

Ireland – Same conditions apply as per the UK, i.e. under licence arrangements.

Jersey - consultations are ongoing but it may be possible to race back to the UK and for Jersey fanciers to race from the UK. The Jersey authorities has not approved racing from Spain or France. We are currently looking for a liberation site on Jersey.

Guernsey – consultations ongoing but looking promising for Guernsey to UK. The situation for Guernsey fanciers is a little more unclear and, like Jersey, it appears that racing from France is not an early option. I am in contact with the Guernsey Government and will advise when I have more news.

Spain – awaiting response from the Spanish Federation.

Belgium – awaiting response from the Belgium Federation but early indications look promising.

The latest fly in the ointment is the outbreak of AI in Cyprus. I will be attending a further meeting at DEFRA on 1 Feb 06 and will report back next week if there is any update.

Changing Route

If your organisation decides to change route i.e. SR to NR then you should advise your Region Secretary.

Licence Arrangements – Advising DEFRA Area Health Offices of Liberations

You will have seen that one of the licence conditions for racing in the UK is that organisations must advise the DEFRA Area Heath Office in the region that they are liberating at least 14 days prior to liberation. After consultation with the RPRA President I think it is appropriate that we at the Reddings should carry out this task for RPRA affiliated organisations. We will need to appraise DEFRA of the appointed contact within the organisation so, unless we hear to the contrary, we will use the race controller on the race programme.

Peter Bryant

General Manager

The Royal Pigeon Racing Association

News from my girl who works at RPRA is that as it stands at present DEFRA are not going to allow us out of the UK at all.  DEFRA are going to make a further decission on 31st  May as to whether racing can continue.   After 31st May we maybe allowed to go out of the country or may not it all depends on how the outbreak is going.  Mr Bryant is trying his hardest  to get DEFRA to make a decission before then as it is already into the racing season, he will be meeting them Feb 1st.  They have been advising clubs/feds to make an alternate racing program and get distances for both before the racing season starts to make life a little easier.  Hope this helps.

I really dont think we will get Channel racing .....look at Foot n' mouth not the outbreak but how our government and  the French etc reacted. I have already asked the scottish parliament Rural Spokesman ...and he said ( in writing) that on current medical/ vets advice he could /would not rule out the culling of Pigeons. I hope that we do  but cant see it to be honest

This may be of some interest.

Derby Gran Canaria Classic 2006

NOTE FROM THE ORGANIZATION, January 2006

Dear Fanciers,

Due to the Bird Flu affecting Asia, and some parts of Europe, the Spanish government, mistakenly in our opinion, placed a preventive ban on the pigeon sport, and did not allow any pigeon release in all Spain during the past couple of months.

We have been lucky that Spain's  Government later on decided to transfer the decision on whether to allow pigeon flying up to each Regional Community (Canary Islands in our case).

Most probably this upcoming beginning of February the prohibition will be lifted for the Canary Islands. From that date, if it is confirmed, we will start the Derby GC 2006 training release again.

Fortunately, we had several land releases done before this ban. Of course, this imposed ban has negatively affected the schedule of the final and other releases, and we will inform through our web page, once the final day of the ban is confirmed.

Our team plans to meet to organize the competition according to the new schedule.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Best Regards,

The Organization