SECRETS IN PIGEON RACING

HEIDELBERG SOUTH AFRICA

Ronnie.  No it shouldn't be terrifying for them at all.  That is where the number 1 comes in.  Training..  Before my ybs are ever released from the crate they have sat over night in the box.  It my belief that they can't be panicked when released and although you do your best to prepare them the first release from the race truck with 100s or maybe 1000s of bird will almost always panick them for a while, trick is that they immediately calm and then head for home.  ALL races are won at the release point, many racers also know this but just don't talk about it.  Ed

The first four races is between 250- 360 km.  thank you all for the response i receive.  but if I have to listen and implement all the advice I received, then I might just as well stop flying.  I will look again at my feeding system etc. and maybe I can win one or two of the short distance races.  How much feed do you give a pigeon per day? 20 / 30 / 40 grams per pigeon?

My loft is situated ideally for club / federation.  My town Heidelber in South Africa is usually the first drop, no matter which wind is blowing.  

Gars(AKA Petrol AKA Barley)

Add 20% to your mix up to thursday night basketing.

Forget the grams, or measure. Feed them till they dont want anymore Barley.

Pigeons tell you how much they need.

Also Heidelberg, South African conditions, are a million miles away from Europe.

Trust me, tried it, it does not work. You can never apply the same method in both hemispheres.

It does not work.

Also those theories, forget them mate.

Ask the Theoery man 1: When last did you fly a pigeon?

2. When last where you club champion?

Forget Vitamins and all the rubbish. Get top class stock.

They make a fool look like a champion, top pigeons make

up for many mistakes.

Regards

Saffer(A South African Export)

Marius

Good pigeon man, good pigeons.

I always tried medicines, methods, lofts ect. Did this for 4 years.

It was only when I got good pigeons did things come right.

That is why forget expensive things, buy good pigeons.

ESB3+ Emtryl(1teaspoon of each in 5 liters of water)

For 3 days once a month.

Doxy and Tylan( 3 Days once a month)

Weeks inbetween, Sundays Providone Iodine 1 ml per liter.

Chevita multivit + on Saturdays to all Pigeons.

Teaspoon Honey per liter every Tuesday.

Thats all Pigeons dont need any more.

Its cheap and it works.

Regards Saffer

Principally life becomes a lot easier when you get really good pigeons. They actually respond to your techniques & make life a whole lot easier - we hardly ever won a card before 1981 but by the mid-late 1980's were Highest Prizewinners of an enormously strong club.  Our racing methods never changed dramatically - but the inmates did.

It's all about never standing still & never settling for second best

birdman,

I have a couple of questions regarding your feeding schedule.  So on ship night no food.  When or what time specifically do you last feed the day before?  Do you feed once a day?  How many grams per bird?  What % protein?  Or maybe a breakdown of grain % in mix.

How about feeding for races over 225 miles?

Thanks for your time.  

1lb Fresh elderberry mixed with 1 pint of warm not boiling water let soak for 24 hours then pour into your ice cube tray freeze then put into bag and put back into freezer.

Then all you have to do is drop one elderberry ice cube into drinker when needed.

If you like you can add to this with garlic also or mix both at same time.

I do not add anything to the water the day of basking as I want the birds to drink as much fresh water as I can.

I feed the young birds before 12 noon day of basket a handful at a time until they start to leave the barley 20 mins after that I take the drinker out. 1 hour before basket time I put drinker back in and they all take a good drink. 15 mins after that the motivation starts. To tell you how I motivate would be wrong as the motivation depends on what sort of race it is going to be.

Also the motivation for one bird could be all wrong for another so study you birds and work out what makes each of them tick.

The above has won me over 60 + first over the last 8 years so it works for me. I do not win every race so there are other methods that also work.

birdman,

I have a couple of questions regarding your feeding schedule.  So on ship night no food.  When or what time specifically do you last feed the day before?  Do you feed once a day?  How many grams per bird?  What % protein?  Or maybe a breakdown of grain % in mix.

How about feeding for races over 225 miles?

Thanks for your time.  

Bluebar 99.  If the question is for me this is my answer.  Morning of basketing normal feed, once all birds have eaten and drank the feed tray is removed.  I feed the race team twice a day.  I don't weigh the feed they always get whatever they want.  I feed a premixed feed, it contains three type of peas, salflower, popcorn, red wheat and milo.  Remember I only do this on the short races.  Distance races I basicly do the same except the birds are given unsalted spanish peanuts at basketing.  Hopefully this helps someone.  Ed

1lb Fresh elderberry mixed with 1 pint of warm not boiling water let soak for 24 hours then pour into your ice cube tray freeze then put into bag and put back into freezer.

Then all you have to do is drop one elderberry ice cube into drinker when needed.

If you like you can add to this with garlic also or mix both at same time.

I do not add anything to the water the day of basking as I want the birds to drink as much fresh water as I can.

Pigeon Scout.  We have disagreed about the eyesign but I will definately agree with the above.  Elderberry juice has been widely used in the past but many have forgotten its benefits and or how to use it.  Good post.  Ed