Whats the difference between Tumblers & Rollers?

GypUK

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it must be a tippler that i got in as a stray a while back  its a little grizzle with ntu written on the ring but the owner wouldnt send for it and 9 times out of 10 its the last one flying when my birds are out excercising  there was a couple of times when it had some of my yb,s flying out untill it got dark and they ended up on the house roof all night    debbie

ntu stands for - national tippler union

i'm getting rid of my tumblers

most of the roller guys here have packed it up due to hawks there was one guy nearby lost 9 birds in eight times up a couple of them are racing now

I have some rollers here, last year I had to lock up as I was loosing too many to the peregrines, only lost 1 this year though I still saw the Peregrine passing over head, must have been getting food elsewhere.

I have some rollers here, last year I had to lock up as I was loosing too many to the peregrines, only lost 1 this year though I still saw the Peregrine passing over head, must have been getting food elsewhere.

thats good to hear, i only lost 1 this year to a peregrine.

Lloyd :)

From my experience of breeding Tumblers and Rollers before having them all stolen, is that you are dealing with a freak of nature, because of this you will breed different variations of the freak i-e some short some deep some that bounce off the roof of your house, even short Red badges will breed the occasional roll down.

Here's one for the Tippler flyer's, if you inbreed have you seen them start to do a tumble, you dont see it very often this is off pure tipler blood with no crosses into them.

theres no such thing as a pure bred pigeon, whether it be racer roller or tippler

If you pair cock A to hen B and C the blood of the young will be made up of AB and AC. Then pair the AB blood to the AC blood and you will have blood made up of ABC. This ABC blood was put together by MR Van Pigeon so lets call it Mr Van pigeon Blood.  If Mr Van pigeon keeps breeding from theses same ABC blood lines would that blood not be pure Mr Van pigeon? If not why not?

If you pair cock A to hen B and C the blood of the young will be made up of AB and AC. Then pair the AB blood to the AC blood and you will have blood made up of ABC. This ABC blood was put together by MR Van Pigeon so lets call it Mr Van pigeon Blood.  If Mr Van pigeon keeps breeding from theses same ABC blood lines would that blood not be pure Mr Van pigeon? If not why not?

No, because what bred A, B, and C. Possibly A was bred by D and E, B could have been bred by F and G and C may be from X and Y and where did D, E, F, G, X and Y come from. If you want to keep going back then eventually you will arrive at the Rock Dove. Busschearts are only Busschaerts while he owned them, likewise with all Strains. There isn't a strain of pigeons that anyone can call a pure this or that, because they were ALL made up from birds from different people.

The Roller Pigeon is an aerial performer,with clubs for same all over the World,in May the many European clubs begin their qualifications ,when one flyer in fifteen qualify proper for The Euro Finals,held in June and judged by Mr Johnny Conradie of South Africa,there is no more beautiful or toe tingling finger clenching  exciting sight than to see a well prepared kit of 20 rollers performing over your own space,with"control" I have been involved with race pigeons well over fifty years,and rollers much less,would recommend rollers to anyone,the game itself is something akin to what the racing game was when I first started pigeons,before monies became the be all and end all,and we became smothered by pedigrees,of pure this pure that,there is much skill,stockmanship,and no little knowledge of rollers required to keep and fly these amazing little performers at their best,but the real beauty of this game is everyone starts on a level playing field,no big monies required,no favourable drop,all with equal amount when competing,for those who might harbour thoughts that a roller is a freak fancy bird,totally wrong,each Country has their own National Champion,I will fly in The Euro Cup this season against competitors from almost every Country in Europe,and in The World Cup against competitors from many Countries in the World,naturally with so much going for it,administration wise,and the friendship and camaraderie, and cost wise,its easy to understand why its a growing sport,unlike the racing game,which is apparently declining,not

bad by any standard for birds"freaks of nature" or "no control"so there you now have my input as to  what the roller sport consists of to day

Guest mikkey

No, because what bred A, B, and C. Possibly A was bred by D and E, B could have been bred by F and G and C may be from X and Y and where did D, E, F, G, X and Y come from. If you want to keep going back then eventually you will arrive at the Rock Dove. Busschearts are only Busschaerts while he owned them, likewise with all Strains. There isn't a strain of pigeons that anyone can call a pure this or that, because they were ALL made up from birds from different people.

my sentiments exactly,all pigeons have been crossed at sometime...........wheres my crack pipe

Guest mikkey

masons, moseleys, lenahans,wanless all different strains of roller pigeons, these guys have all created their own strain but from whos birds did they start it,  any strain will be a cross somewhere down the line and its the same with racers..............so i stick to my statement theres no such thing as a pure breed.................so keep flying your rock doves :)

It does not mater what blood  A B or C had before they where paired as the young from A and B will be pure AB blood and the young from AC will be pure AC blood. If you keep breeding from them lines you will have pure ABC blood.

but still Not pure bred PIGEONS, which was what the statement implied unless you go back to the Rock Dove. Pure ABC maybe, I wont disagree with that, but no such thing as a pure this strain or that strain, as people try to lead us to believe.

but still Not pure bred PIGEONS, which was what the statement implied unless you go back to the Rock Dove. Pure ABC maybe, I wont disagree with that, but no such thing as a pure this strain or that strain, as people try to lead us to believe.

Take 100% Orange 100% Apple, and 100% Grape juice mix them together you will no longer have pure Orange, Apple, or Grape juice, instead you will have 100% pure fruit juice.

A pigeon strain starts out as a combination of crosses until the breeder is happy with the offspring. Once they have done that they go on to inbreed / line breed so generation after generation carry the same blood and characteristics. If the person who created this strain is called Mr X  the birds will be pure Mr X.

Guest mikkey
I'm so glad i asked....41 replies and not one answer...I love pigeons.!!

lol tumblers will do a few flips, where as rollers if they are any good will roll anything from a few feet to maybe 20 or 30 ft straight down in a tight ball, then fly back up and join the kit and do it again and again and again........unlike mine lol .......they look great when they are rolling well

Guest Freebird
The Roller Pigeon is an aerial performer,with clubs for same all over the World,in May the many European clubs begin their qualifications ,when one flyer in fifteen qualify proper for The Euro Finals,held in June and judged by Mr Johnny Conradie of South Africa,there is no more beautiful or toe tingling finger clenching  exciting sight than to see a well prepared kit of 20 rollers performing over your own space,with"control" I have been involved with race pigeons well over fifty years,and rollers much less,would recommend rollers to anyone,the game itself is something akin to what the racing game was when I first started pigeons,before monies became the be all and end all,and we became smothered by pedigrees,of pure this pure that,there is much skill,stockmanship,and no little knowledge of rollers required to keep and fly these amazing little performers at their best,but the real beauty of this game is everyone starts on a level playing field,no big monies required,no favourable drop,all with equal amount when competing,for those who might harbour thoughts that a roller is a freak fancy bird,totally wrong,each Country has their own National Champion,I will fly in The Euro Cup this season against competitors from almost every Country in Europe,and in The World Cup against competitors from many Countries in the World,naturally with so much going for it,administration wise,and the friendship and camaraderie, and cost wise,its easy to understand why its a growing sport,unlike the racing game,which is apparently declining,not

bad by any standard for birds"freaks of nature" or "no control"so there you now have my input as to  what the roller sport consists of to day

Here's a guy who knows what he's talking about. Some of the posts here are laughable. These birds have to be selected and trained just like the racer. The finished product is by no means uncontrolled. It is full controlled athletisism of the airial kind. I'm now going down the road of getting a certain strain of tumbler to perform as it should, I might add that I've just begun a long journey but what I see in these birds just now I feel it will be worth it. Rollers roll. Tumblers DO NOT roll (flip) only bad rollers flip. The tumblers I have spin horisontaly as apposed to rollers rolling verticaly. They also dive in a screw like fashion a bit like the Oriental roller and I think once they are fit and flying for fun there will be more on show. My birds were originally bred to compete against the falconers in North west spain, Catalonia. I think a lot of the old breeds have been wasted by breeding for colour to show and lost the most important thing that they were bred for / Tumbling. These old breeders were so clever they could breed for colour as well as performance and that is why the fancy fanciers were attracted to tumblers. The birmingham roller was bred from these old strains of tumblers by some very clever people way back who wanted a particular trait just like distance/sprint in racers. So please don't splaf if you don't really know what you're talking about, no offence meant but it just p*ss*s me off when people say things as if it was gospel. Wish I could go back to when the birds were performers and not just pretty little things(puke) Sorry but theres more to pigeons than racing, ouch!!!

Guest Freebird

Believe it or not tipplers used to tumble as well. Iranian high flyers come to mind. Then they were selected for there ability to fly for over 10 to 20 odd hours. Some even fly through the night and their owners keep track of them with high powered search lights. If you Google tipplers then you'll see like any other pigeon breed there is more to it than meets the eye. Pigeons have been bred for all sorts of things, for the table (eating), to all mentioned above to steal other pigeons with there amorous ways to parlour rollers which roll on the ground, but why anyone would want to watch a pigeon rolling on the ground defeats me coz they got wings(puke)

I'm so glad i asked....41 replies and not one answer...I love pigeons.!!

See so you are now as wise ( or not ) as the rest of us. I think you will find however, the nearest peregrins are in that cement works chimney, down the road from me. It should be just sparrowhawks for you to worry about. You should be ok.

Take 100% Orange 100% Apple, and 100% Grape juice mix them together you will no longer have pure Orange, Apple, or Grape juice, instead you will have 100% pure fruit juice.

A pigeon strain starts out as a combination of crosses until the breeder is happy with the offspring. Once they have done that they go on to inbreed / line breed so generation after generation carry the same blood and characteristics. If the person who created this strain is called Mr X  the birds will be pure Mr X.

I will have to agree to disagree............................... What's in a name????

Does the name Jansen ring a bell.

No but Janssen does  :P

Does Vekemans, Vanschingens, Wegge, Grooter, Delathouwer, Pittevil, Hansenne and Ruhl ring bells with you, because they were the pioneers who all present day NAMES owe much of their success  ;)