sparrowhawk attack

madmaxlofts

was in the garden today let my joung 1ns out had a fly came down sat on shed .when a f..king sparrow hawk swooped between the gap in our houses, young 1ns flew all over, under the shed, in the garden ,the others scattered all over took ages to get them to land let alone get them in.

does any one have any ideas how to deter them?

if they wasnt protected i know what id do.

Think the first thing to know is that it is likely to be back the same time the next day, so keep the birds in for at least the next day; and vary your times a bit for letting them out in future.

Shiny CDs hung shiny-side out along the front of your loft acts as a deterrant, as does playing the Eagle Owl calls CD, for one hour before the birds go out.

i have had three strikes this year which is way above the average for the past ten years put to-gether,one killed outright other two were lucky and lost only a couple tail feathers,if you can get a hold of a copy of the European Eagle Owl and play it prior to letting the birds out as loud as you can and keep playing it whilst they are out you will have no problems,it has been five weeks since i started this system for chasing the raptor(as i still have no idea if it was a hen sparrowhawk or a peregrine)my neibours have also noticed a rapid increase in wild bird activity meaning were there was no song before there is a sharp increase in there singing and no sign of the hawk,if people can keep hawks could we keep this type of owl?.good old eagle owl.

Was the sparrow hawk diving at the doos??  We have lots of sparrow hawks and they leave the doos alone.  There are even flyers that have put up the kestral nest boxes and encourage them to be around as they will generally run off all other hawks in the area...  Ed

you having a laugh mate?? ;D you must have different doos to the rest of us then!!

she has a crack at mine most weeks!! :-/ ;)

Talking about sparrowhawaks guys, last week i was at my mates house doing some work on the trailer, he had his doos out as normal flying around the house etc, then all of a sudden there they were, the 2 local perigines, one of them flying above the doos and the other flying bellow them, what they were doing was hurdling them into a group, before the one above went for the kill.

This went on for around 5-10 mins.

Luckily enough there was a white one in amonst the 7 or 8 onwhich broke off from the pack, the above made a dive but the doo was i would say a lot faster for it.

I couldnt believe it when i saw this for the first time since i have kept the doos, it was like a sheep dog hurdling the sheep into the pen.

Have seen the sparrow hawk on top of the avary at my own huts before, i actually took photos of the f...... thing just for the record, also has been spotted in the garden sitting on top of the barins wendy house.

Also the sparrowhawk dived into my garden one day when i was strimming the grass, only 10 feet away from the head of the strimmer, what a f...... freight i got.

They are just getting out of order now, thats why i think fanciers are leaving the sport becasue of they f...... things.

Its a shame if you have seen what the damage these birds are doing to the doos, i have actually got some photos of a doo that had been stripped bare, the only thing left on the doo was the ring, the head, wings etc were all stripped bare to the flesh.

Just thought i would share this info.

Cemetary.