FANCY BIRDS AT BLACKPOOL

Guest TAMMY_1

Guest TAMMY_1

Was amazing to see all the different varieties of  really fancy birds that were on display upstairs in the Spanish Room , some incredable looking birds , was one breed in particular, cannot remember the name, but they were definately something I would be interested in keeping at some point in the future maybe .

Another thing among the Fancy birds on display was the amount of birds in these breeds that nearly all had won first prizes and I could not understand this until Chrissy explained that because a lot of them were rarer breeds and a lot of the classes had either a single entry or only a couple of birds in each class, a bit misleading when you see somebody having won a lot of classes until you see they had the only entrant or a couple birds  in a class of 3 so very misleading I  think when you are claiming wins when there is no competition, but I suppose a win is a win , still the birds did look great even if they were the only entrant, but I don't think I would be happy doing that as you are only beating yourself in theory so you don't know if your birds are any good against competition, but was still an experience to see the different breeds available and a credit to the owners who had them looking impeccable

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TAMMY_1
  ;D ;D ;D ;D.was that just the birds.... ;D ;D ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D naw it was you and your  motley crew of celtic supporters that he meant were the ugly f*****s.  ;D ;D ;D

in no particular order there was you, alf, wings 04, greengrass, sapper to name a few  :D :D :D

;D ;D ;D naw it was you and your  motley crew of celtic supporters that he meant were the ugly f*****s.  ;D ;D ;D

in no particular order there was you, alf, wings 04, greengrass, sapper to name a few  :D :D :D

We were the best 5 good looking specimens at the show ;) ;D ;D ;D

• 1 year later...
Guest bigbok

although blackpool is thge flagship show for homing pigeons it is not the flag ship fancy pigeon show and was not fuly supported by all the npa membership which is a shame our club never supported because of classes but we had a meeting and decided it was to good  window opportunity to miss so we ill be their to support in 2010 a bit later but better than never

At your service, these birds were on victory row:

White King

Black Magpie

German Beauty Homer

English Show Homer

Pigmy Pouter

Holle Cropper

These are some other fancy breeds in the BIS line up at Nottingham:

Trumpeter

Mookee

Archangel (This photo doesn't do the colour of this bird justice, the lustre and irridescence are amazing)

West of England FLying Tumbler

Tammy_1 your right about how do you know if they are worth a first place card, in Europe they are each given a grade out of a 100 but in real scores 95,97 being very good etc.

This type of judging should take place here but it takes a lot of time, if there were more judging the breeds instead of the usally suspects going through the motions of somehow trying to know all the breeds it could be better.

The real pain is the slow pace of change it helps those who wish things stay the same as when Queen Vic was on the thrown, collecting a card from say best bird in this class is like racing a pigeon with no oppersition point less.

But having said that if one bird entered in a race from one club member it is then only tested against all the fed birds, my own thoughts on Best of Breed in strong classes with 400 birds in one breed with 50+ others all trying for that winning spot is the best.

Breeding good stock in fancy pigeons might seem easy but perfection in some breeds are extremly hard, hey its fun plus a lot of us fancy boys fly out our feeders mine just happen to be Jannsen Van Den Bosche welsh wonders from Mel Greens loft.

they did judge some of the birds on continental points system as well year before last. The continentals judge to standard whereas here they are just judged and the final result comes down to personal preference.

Judgeing to standard maintains the breed type whereas personal preference changes.

we judge to standards also in england well the fancy pigeons do

but there are many interpretations of each standard here, if the points system was used the standard of breeds would improve longterm or go down the American road and change everything!

Guest bigbok

ive judged in germany and america and a standard is intereprated in all systems even the continental say for instance to judges give 97 pts does not mean it was the best one their it is just his interptation of the standard and good and bad judges exsist in all countrys

ive give 96pts to birds in germany that would not get a third over here

and i give reserve champ to a hen in america that was given 95pts by a german judge so the same problems exsist everywhere

the problem has never been the system always the judge

most judges over here are picked because of their reliability to turn up not on their skills in judging

ive judged in germany and america and a standard is intereprated in all systems even the continental say for instance to judges give 97 pts does not mean it was the best one their it is just his interptation of the standard and good and bad judges exsist in all countrys

ive give 96pts to birds in germany that would not get a third over here

and i give reserve champ to a hen in america that was given 95pts by a german judge so the same problems exsist everywhere

the problem has never been the system always the judge

most judges over here are picked because of their reliability to turn up not on their skills in judging

So why arn't the judges tested before being put on the "approved judgeing list"?

Guest bigbok

i got them in black n brown lace and also blue lace spottails but to be honest their my oldest daughters jordan but i do love em to always have had the mabout 5 years now