Young Birds

Guest TAMMY_1
At what age can you separate a yb from the loft to give it a new home?

I never seperate young birds less than 26 days old, which is when they have most of their feathers under the wing, but most times I seperate them at 28-30 days

Guest Paulo
As a rule of thumb I take my young birds away when they're nearly feathered under their wing, about a 70% covering.

thats what I do as well seems to work fine

• 1 month later...

This year i took all my youngsters at 14 days old and put them on the floor in a corner bedded on straw .the hens went straight back down on egg's and the youngsters are great i put them in youngbird loft about 30 day's .Was really good seeing all the oldbirds feeding youngsters that where not there own.

• 1 month later...

Usually round about 21-24 days old as long as they are feathered under the wing. Put plenty of shavings on the floor of their section. Feed only maples for 1st week. Good mutivitamin in the drinker. Leave the top off. Birds will bath in it but as long as they know where it is.

• 3 weeks later...

i take the babies out about the same time... when the feathers under the wing are almost fully developed.  I also make sure they are on the ground a few days to watch their parents feed and water.  

Ronnie, i do a similar thing,  unfortunately i have some nest boxes too close to the ground and occationally the babies like to jump in.

if i close those boxes up i loose a quarter of my breeding room.